Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/9 Volkswagen Kübel 'Kubelrod'

I clearcoated the floorpan, so I could also work on the suspension
kubelrod090.jpg

I really like how this skull came to live with the frontsuspension on his head :)
kubelrod091.jpg

The back suspension is a very weak link of this kit, very fragile and with a lot of tolerances, I seriously hope it will hold the car on it's feet when ready.
kubelrod092.jpg

The finished backseat in the body, I really like the look of it. It almost looks like some sort of Alcantara.
kubelrod093.jpg

kubelrod094.jpg

And two early mock-up pictures of how the car sits at the moment, it starts to look promising and it really comes together now.
kubelrod095.jpg

kubelrod096.jpg

Thanks guys!

@Richard; no I simply used paper tissues, made them whet, draped them onto the seat and used water thinned acrylics to give it it's rough look.

After a week of polishing, 2 hours per evening, I finally got the body in a decent way. So, that means that it is on to final assembly and detailling at last.
I started with giving the doors a nice look to it with flocking.
kubelrod097.jpg

kubelrod098.jpg

What you didn't knew, was a suprise inside the doors. before adding the doorpanels, I airbrushed the inside of the doors with some more skulls, but tucked away
kubelrod099.jpg

kubelrod100.jpg

And work on the engine continued;
kubelrod101.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely the final update, I hope to get'r done tomorrow or friday, just in time for the Nationals on saturday.
Work has been mostly limited to detailling and fixing weak fitments, the car has some issues with a weak construction, which appeared after installing all the wheels. The car couldn't sit on it's own axles.

I added some air filters on the carbs.
kubelrod107.jpg

Using mesh that I formed over a round object,
kubelrod108.jpg

Giving it a realistic appearance.
kubelrod109.jpg

The front end got a horizontal bar for installing the headlights on, to prevent the Kubelrod would have that typical volksrod appearance.
kubelrod110.jpg

And while playing with some left over parts, I had a fun idea. In the spirit of the Moon gastanks on the front axle with some hotrods, I am using the jerrycan as a gastank for the Kübel
kubelrod111.jpg