Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frontier Resin Design

Custom Hearse, I'd have to agree that Caddy hearse looks pretty rough! But I've bought several trucks from him and found all of them of acceptable quality, even the ones he sold me as seconds.

Even though I know I'll be doing some work on them, there isn't anyone else casting the kind of trucks he does. To me, the quality seems better than some of the old MTFA truck kits.

It appears that he has lowered some of the prices, I just bought a couple more items.

I'm not knocking anyone else's opinions, just presenting my own.

Lee

Custom Hearse, I'd have to agree that Caddy hearse looks pretty rough! But I've bought several trucks from him and found all of them of acceptable quality, even the ones he sold me as seconds.

Even though I know I'll be doing some work on them, there isn't anyone else casting the kind of trucks he does. To me, the quality seems better than some of the old MTFA truck kits.

It appears that he has lowered some of the prices, I just bought a couple more items.

I'm not knocking anyone else's opinions, just presenting my own.

Lee

Were any of these the 50s Dodge trucks? I noticed he dropped his prices down to what I might pay for a salvagable cab. I'm willing to do some work if they can be worked with.

Were any of these the 50s Dodge trucks? I noticed he dropped his prices down to what I might pay for a salvagable cab. I'm willing to do some work if they can be worked with.

Aaron,

I just got a Dodge, but haven't been home to really take a close look at it. If you don't mind waiting a few days, I'll give you a review on how much work it'll need. The GMCs and Chevies, and Stude I've gotten so far haven't been too bad, mostly a lot of cleanup. The Stude windshield opening looks a little off, but I haven't checked it against my references yet.

RMR also has some Dodges, everything I've gotten from them has been pretty decent.

Lee

Aaron,

I just got a Dodge, but haven't been home to really take a close look at it. If you don't mind waiting a few days, I'll give you a review on how much work it'll need. The GMCs and Chevies, and Stude I've gotten so far haven't been too bad, mostly a lot of cleanup. The Stude windshield opening looks a little off, but I haven't checked it against my references yet.

RMR also has some Dodges, everything I've gotten from them has been pretty decent.

Lee

I would like to know about the Stude truck. If it was easy, and what kit you used to finish it off.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a bunch of RMR stuff, I'm quite happy there. No rush on the quicky review, I won't even be home for a few days. When you get the chance though I'd appreciate a closer look.

Aaron, here's the Dodge, it's a '48-'50. The cab has some shape and proportion problems, but you can definitely tell it's a Dodge! The cab is a bit too rounded, and the windows are too small. Too much cab below the belt line, not enough above. It'll never be perfect, but I can make it look somewhat better. I tried it on a chassis from a New Ray 1/32 scale die-cast Peterbilt. I put 1/25 wheels and tires on it. The chassis is from another project, I just wanted to see what I was going to need to make it work.

IM000170-vi.jpg

IM000166-vi.jpg

I did notice one goofy thing, the name Dodge on the front is mis-spelled D-O-G-D-E!

Lee

I would like to know about the Stude truck. If it was easy, and what kit you used to finish it off.

Clay, here's the Stude truck! Proportions aren't too bad except I think the windshield is too small. I may try to enlarge it, haven't decided yet. Lots of clean up, but I've seen worse. The big truck kit came with a frame, but I'm not too keen on resin frames, might use it for a dio or something.

IM000162-vi.jpg

I tried it on the same chassis as the Dodge, but the fuel tanks are in the way. The size is about right, though. I'll probably sacrifice another 1/32 die-cast for the chassis.

IM000165-vi.jpg

Lee

Aaron, here's the Dodge, it's a '48-'50. The cab has some shape and proportion problems, but you can definitely tell it's a Dodge! The cab is a bit too rounded, and the windows are too small. Too much cab below the belt line, not enough above. It'll never be perfect, but I can make it look somewhat better. I tried it on a chassis from a New Ray 1/32 scale die-cast Peterbilt. I put 1/25 wheels and tires on it. The chassis is from another project, I just wanted to see what I was going to need to make it work.

I did notice one goofy thing, the name Dodge on the front is mis-spelled D-O-G-D-E!

Lee

Thanks, at least now I can see what I would be getting. I could live with that if the price were right, but I can see it would take some work. The mis-spelled Dodge is pretty funny, things like that really make me wonder. If someone can't even bother to proof read it doesn't say much about their quality control.

Still I don't see many options for a '48-50 Dodge, so I'll be watching for a deal on ebay.

• 2 months later...
I don't know Bob, from the pic of that Vista Cruiser, it already looks kinda warped. Have you bought from this guy? would you vouch for his quality? A thumbs up comin from you, would add ALOT to his credability. I trust you, I think alot of us here do too. Waddaya think? ;);)

Ok , I'll bite . How do I get in touch for my fair share ? Please ...Thanx..

thanks for the kind words...we have discussed the maruader many times...at this time we have an idea of how to make the the body & the front end, no interior & not the rear end & bumper, jeff at motor city resin casters seems up to the challenge for making the master too! does anyone out there want to make us a master?
Do you have the parts needed?Let me know,and as far as the maruader,how about a 69 Marquis convertible? :rolleyes:

we have nothing!
Well I know the 69 galaxie had to be the starting point,the front looks alittle like the 65 Lincolin hood and front end,as far as the grill and rear bumpers I been racking my brain tring to figure that out,anyone else have any Ideas feel free to share,I think the rear bumper itself could maybe be made with the 69-70 cougar rear bumper,2 of them molded together,and adding the lower half of the 69 galaxie rear bumper!,If I had the parts I could try and figure out how to make the master,I want to make the 69-70 Marquis,the taillights look alot like the the 69-70 cougar,oh and the rear of the car dips in at a curve in the middle!The pic is a Monteray,basicaly the same car Edited by spkgibson

As a public service, the following are some of Frontiers feedbacks and his "professional"replies. (Take them as you wish):

NEG junk, patched, cracked through from being sanded too deep, not close to photo Buyer: jrcpriv ( 414) Mar-01-08 12:12

Reply by frontier_resin_design (Mar-01-08 13:03):

u bought only to leave nasty feed back,ck FB pg ur a pr 2b blocked

Follow-up by jrcpriv (Oct-07-08 12:51):

You get a lot of nuetral or negative for same reasons I cited - poor quality

NEG junk broken, patched, sanded (not pin holes) excess shipping, poor pcking Buyer: jrcpriv ( 414) Mar-01-08 12:12

Reply by frontier_resin_design (Mar-01-08 13:07):

u got a discount and paid no TAX u was offered a replacement

Follow-up by jrcpriv (Oct-07-08 12:44):

Have since saw your junk at model show - nobody buying blind there.

snip

Maybe its just me, but everytime I read his reply bidder blocked, I hear "NO SOUP FOR YOU, NEXT" :lol:

Edited by Aaronw

Well I know the 69 galaxie had to be the starting point,the front looks alittle like the 65 Lincolin hood and front end,as far as the grill and rear bumpers I been racking my brain tring to figure that out,anyone else have any Ideas feel free to share,I think the rear bumper itself could maybe be made with the 69-70 cougar rear bumper,2 of them molded together,and adding the lower half of the 69 galaxie rear bumper!,If I had the parts I could try and figure out how to make the master,I want to make the 69-70 Marquis,the taillights look alot like the the 69-70 cougar,oh and the rear of the car dips in at a curve in the middle!The pic is a Monteray,basicaly the same car

interesting, i will be talking to jeff tonight or tommorrow , let's see what he thinks

• 3 weeks later...
has any one heard of them? and if so how is their product?

I have one of the pieces they made, its a Jeep forward control COE, casting is pretty good but lacks detail. I got it in a lot off e-bay a few years ago. Not sure if they are casting now.

I fell for this clown's stuff, I'm ashamed to admit.

I have an R&R '68 Coronet that developed a roof sag, and I thought that getting a replacement on eBay would be a cheap fix. Boy was I wrong. The body I got was garbage. I got the Frontier-standard insult that I clearly wasn't a good enough modeler to deal with resin, but they offered to replace it. I returned the junk body only to receive another that was even worse. Warped badly, horribly patched with globs of extra resin to fill many holes and voids, and absolutely useless.

On top of everything, he claims to "do the masters for Model House resins" which is doubly-funny because he doesn't, and he can't spell "Modelhaus" correctly.

Modelhaus masters?ok I have seen his stuff on e-bay myself,I think he needs to learn how to make molds and accurate renderings of the cars he sells,I seen one of the 69 marauders go for $71 about a week ago,I feel very sorry for the person that won that PEICE!lol,if I could have gave him $10 for it I may have bought it!But I will have to stick up for R&R they are just 2 people making over 250 or so kits,so there will be mistakes sometimes!but overall they are buildable and I have seen some really nice subjects they have done!my 2 cents,but frontier resin?he's set the resin biz back 20years for some,especially if its the persons very first resin build!I'm glad I never wasted my money on ANYTHING from them,I'll just wait till someone else does the 69 Mercury,or do it myself!

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

my Name is Marco and I`am a Truck-Modeller from Germany. I bought a lot of the cabs from Frontier Resin Design. I like these Trucks very much.

They have not ever the right measures but I`am a long year Modeller and so it is for me no proplem to give them te right measures. I don`t know

about any other company that produce for example a FWD Cab or a DODGE Coe. So I´am very happy to enlarge my collection with these exotics.

I hope the company will build many more rare Trucks like Sicard, Peninsula or Scot. Many Friends from me, members in great Modell-Truck-Clubs

in Germany and Netherland get enthusiastic with the nice Trucks from FRONTIER RESIN DESIGN!!!

HI,

my Name is Marco and I`am a Truck-Modeller from Germany. I bought a lot of the cabs from Frontier Resin Design. I like these Trucks very much.

They have not ever the right measures but I`am a long year Modeller and so it is for me no proplem to give them te right measures. I don`t know

about any other company that produce for example a FWD Cab or a DODGE Coe. So I´am very happy to enlarge my collection with these exotics.

I hope the company will build many more rare Trucks like Sicard, Peninsula or Scot. Many Friends from me, members in great Modell-Truck-Clubs

in Germany and Netherland get enthusiastic with the nice Trucks from FRONTIER RESIN DESIGN!!!

Have a look at RMR, he has quite a few good quality trucks from the 40-70s. Unfortunately not a lot of Dodge trucks but there are a few.

http://www.freewebs.com/rmrresin

Hey guys he has a '69 olds Vista Cruiser, should I or shouldn't I buy it? I've been looking for one for sometime now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-olds-vista-cruise...id=p3286.c0.m14

Run!!!! If you can't run, Fly!!!

I would pass on that thing. Even Bill Geary couldn't fix that pig without going crazy. They will never get my money.

Edited by Ron Hamilton