Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Ben... Thanks man!! I know I am sick for all of the detail I am trying to pull off :lol:

John... Thanks my Brother, I am trying to take after you ;) .....Now if I can only build a model in 1 to 2 months.... :lol:

Greg... Thanks Mate!! You know what's funny is that I actually wiped down the one from the sandwich I had a few days ago and thought about using that one but decided that I better see if they would be willing to give me a couple of new ones. i was happy that they did. I didn't want the F/C to smell like Chicken ... :lol: Use all of my ideas if you would like. And don't be sad when this build does get completed because I have 2 builds in store next that I think everyone will enjoy watching ;) and they both are 1/16th scale builds.

Bill... Thanks bud. Many of you guys have set that bar high and I had to be creative to find a material that would work for the application.

Mike.... thanks buddy. I enjoy talking to you as well and for always letting me bounce ideas off of you.

Tyrone.... Thanks man!! I am trying my hardest to make this a top notch build ;)

Brad... Thanks my friend. I don't know if its better than the 1:1 but it will have more pics than the 1:1 :lol:

Lee... Thanks! You are so right about running across things that just fit what you are looking for. It took me a little while to figure it out and one of the reasons that the belts have taken so long. I feel I should already have them done but I have been slacking the past few days.

Michael... Thank you. I have been anxious to have this build completed for quite some time just to see it all together and if matches the vision I had when I started this 2 1/2 years ago.

Mark... Thank you. I always hope that I explain things ok so if anyone wants to try and use any of the ways I have done things they can.

Derrick.... Thanks man, I have got so much more motivation since the rolling chassis is together but have had a little road bump with the restraint system...lol

Well Fellas.... I have slacked the past 2 days and going to get some bench time in today and finish the lap belt section. Then hopefully I can finish the Shoulder belts and get some pics posted to share with everyone. I Don't thing the lap belts should be too hard because I have a little more area to work with. But the Shoulder belts are going to be a little tricky with the small opening I have to work with so I will have to be creative on how I make it work.

Bill... thanks buddy...LOL

Ben... LOL I think they were thinking I was a little crazy. I told them it was for a hobby project.... hahah :lol:

Art... Thanks brother. I really appreciate the kind words from you, It means a lot. I can't wait to get this bad boy done and bring it to some of the Cali shows. Hopefully the Citrus Nationals is still a go this year. Right now I am planning for that to be the debut show.

Charlie.... Thanks bud!! I was having to be creative with making the tie downs and I love how I have come up with some dual usage on your parts. Thanks for always supplying us modelers with great products.

Ok Fellas.... I know I have been a little slow at getting to the bench with these restraints. I don't know why but it seems that these would be so easy when in fact they have taken me a lot longer than I have thought they would. I got a little work done today on the lap belts and only got one half of them done of what I wanted to. I am going to try and finish the other tonight but we will see if I get to it. If not my goal is for tomorrow. Here is a few pics for you.....

Here is the start of the lap belts. I made a template of the belt out of some thin paper material to get the length I needed before cutting the medical tape:

DP-Army-Vega3696-1_zpsd214e177.jpg

Here is one view of the seat belt tie down, made just like the first one:

DP-Army-Vega3701-1_zpsb51d3acd.jpg

Here is a view from the other side:

DP-Army-Vega3704-1_zps6396daf6.jpg

Here is the completed belt for that side:

DP-Army-Vega3706-1_zps0119f00a.jpg

If I ever get around to building one of my Aurora Racing scenes funny cars, I plan on detail the heck out of it like this as well! I keep putting all kinds of detailing accessories in the box whenever I come across them.

Ben... feel free to save any or all of the pics I have posted to use as reference. Sure would be cool to see you build up your Aurora F/C. If you have any questions when you do get around to building feel free to ask.

Danno.... Thanks buddy!!

Mike.... Thank you bud!!

Well Fellas.... here is another Seat Belt update. Made some more progress today. I spent a few hours doing the other side and had to redo part of it a few times but here it is....

I started out with cutting my Johnson & Johnson medical tape for 3" wide material:

DP-Army-Vega3711-1_zps54a34802.jpg

I next cut out the material I was going to use for the leather piece that goes below the latch portion of the belt, This will get painted a leather color:

DP-Army-Vega3712-1_zps906068e0.jpg

Here were all of the pieces ready to go.:

DP-Army-Vega3714-1_zpsc31e30da.jpg

Here is the attachment point, This sucker gave some some trouble today :angry: :

DP-Army-Vega3721-1_zpsfbe217ca.jpg

Fantastic.

But why do I keep smelling chicken? ;)

Fantastic. X 2 B)B)

Man, I gotta get me one of them new smellevision computer monitors... :(

Chris, GREAT update buddy. Just make sure there's plenty of adjustment there.....I can be over in a week, ready for a test lap at the wheel. :D ;)

Superb!

John.... Thanks buddy.

Tyrone.... Thanks bud

Brett.... Thanks buddy

Danno... Thanks. You keep smelling chicken cause you have chick-fil-a sandwich in front of you??? Lol ;)

Gregg.... Thanks Mate!! I will make sure it has adjustment for everyone. I will let you have the first test pass.

Bill... Thanks buddy. I had to go the extra distance and add that leather piece to at the extra detail to it.

Well I am going to start the shoulder belts and hopefully I will be able to finish them today. So stay tuned.....