Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford Country Squire

Walked out to the mail box today expecting the normal raft of late notices from creditors and found only one box.... this:

Wonder what is in it and who is "Flint"?

P1011340-vi.jpg

WOW

Was not expecting this!

Jimmy and I talked almost two weeks ago and I guess I forgot that he was sending something....

Anyone know what it is?

P1011341-vi.jpg

A little history:

Back in the late 90's my life was very stressful and I was going through a terrible personal issue. All my models were in storage and I had nothing but a few tools in little box to use with which to give me something to do. Lindberg had just released the 1953 Ford victoria kit so I started cutting that up and ended up with a beautiful Country Squire station wagon and plans for a neat GSL project. This car really brought me out of my doldrums! (Gregg also called me for the FIRST time about then too, but that is another story) :)

A resin caster at one of the shows saw my creation on the "in-progress table" at a local show and said that he would like to cast and sell it. NO, was his answer, I would receive no payment for this of course.... :(

I contacted Art Andersen, a friend, who at the time was running a more reputable resin body business by the name of "All American" who then ended up sitting on the project for a little more than 4 years.

Art did eventually give me back the body I worked so hard on... however the plus side is that he improved the piece a bit by correcting the curve of the roof and modified the posts a little.

I met Jimmy Flintstone while taking in iHobby last year and told him about the '53. He said he would love to check it out and so I sent it to him shortly after arriving back at the homestead.

Jimmy gave the master to his master builder who I met at Atlanta in '06 and he suggested he would like to make some improvements before casting.

The short of it is that the piece you see here has been worked on by three professionals! It really is the best and most correct that can attempted of any 1953 Ford Country Squire wagon.

SoCalCarCulture will be wanting one of these....

P1011342-vi.jpg

The interior is pretty smooth leaving little evidence of previous body work other than the tiny pin ends which became the stovebolt heads for the wood sides.

The chassis from the coupe or convertible should suffice but modifying the cargo area will remain a challenge until someone works up a suitable resin part.

Me, I am going to scratch build that myself by filling the area with suitcases, coolers and other travel parifinalia as-if the car is on vacation. Simple huh? 'Cause that was the plan way back in 1997 before the body started traveling all over the country... ;)

My Country Squire has finally come home! ;)

Thanks guys. I will probably be finishing up this build on this here thread and eventually move it to the "On the Workbench" section once progress is being made.

Virgil, the only time the original was shown in public was at a Puyallup, WA NNL sometime in 1997 or '98. After that it was all over the country.

Billy, Jimmy is like that. But in his defense, my name is not that easy to spell much less pronounce. When I meet some of you guys for the first time, it seems the ice breaker generally starts out with: How to you pronounce "Jairus"? B)

Not to mention seeing it spelled a bunch of different ways right here on this forum!

At any rate, if any of you want one of these bodies, email Jimmy at:

flintstonestudios@wi.rr.com

Or simply click on the logo below to be taken to Jimmy's web site. ;)

JP_new_header-vi.jpg

That's mighty fine lookin' Jairus! That's the one you were mentioning before............

I may have to pick one of these up since I've got several Lindberg '53 Fords to be used. :D

Billy, Jimmy is like that. But in his defense, my name is not that easy to spell much less pronounce. When I meet some of you guys for the first time, it seems the ice breaker generally starts out with: How to you pronounce "Jairus"? :D

You oughta hear how some folks pronounce "Geary"......... :lol:

THANK YOU!!!

Now we know! ....and knowing is half the battle. B)

I was one of the people who looked at your name and thought it was JAIR-ee-us like Darius. Boy did I feel dumb when my mind finally did put the letters in the right order!

• 7 months later...

Jairus,

You did a wonderful job mastering that one. I have to get one of those for myself. Now, will it be a straight Replica Stock, or a street machine (Arter-Lowered, on a set of Pegasus' American 5-Spokes, or MCG Caddy Sombreros on Wide Whites). Black with the wood trim, and either Tan, or Red & White guts.

By the way, Paul's model is exquisite. I wish I could afford one for my collection.

Bill, you built one of these yet? Would have been fun to have had Paul, YOU and I build one each and post them on ePay..... :)

No I haven't built one yet........................The woodgrain alone would be a first for me as I've never done any like that! :blink:

Does the kit have a separate hood, or was everything molded in? Also would the '53 Lindberg Ford chassis need some changes for a wagon, or is it standard fare?

You use the kit hood. The chassis needs no modification unless you want to be absolutely correct. (Spare tire should be horizontal rather than vertical)

There is no cargo space and the kit interior panels need be modified to match the 4 door, door lines.

Other than that..... :)

One other thing Bill..... Bill are you listening?

The bumper guards need to be shortened on the rear bumper. The reason is the tailgate needs to drop so the Stationwagon was the only vehicle to have the shortened bumper guards on the rear. I modified the guards on my car and had them re-chromed by Chrome Tech along with the grill and front bumper after removing the mold lines.

SOMEDAY I hope to finish this project.....

One other thing Bill..... Bill are you listening?

The bumper guards need to be shortened on the rear bumper. The reason is the tailgate needs to drop so the Stationwagon was the only vehicle to have the shortened bumper guards on the rear. I modified the guards on my car and had them re-chromed by Chrome Tech along with the grill and front bumper after removing the mold lines.

SOMEDAY I hope to finish this project.....

I'm here.........and yes, I'm listening! :lol:

That makes sense about the bumper guards............Speaking of Chrometech, I have to get some parts ready for the '55 Ford to have sent to Bob. I had to totally strip the paint on it unfortunately though as it had some imperfections in the body work I could see. :lol:

To add insult to injury, now my central air in the house is not working having tried to run it for the first time this season, and it's too warm and humid to try and paint right now. :lol: