Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bad Jeep......

I guess that showed Chrysler. Smart guy. Now he has a loan and no car. I guess man really DID come from apes.

He fund raised to pay the car out. I'm having difficulties with my wife's car ATM. It's not good. Won't be buying from that car company again.

Ben

He fund raised to pay the car out.

Ben

Even more proof that some evolved from apes. Why would anyone bail him out? And doesnt anyone know sarcasm when they see it?

If the engine stopped and fuel gushed out before you even took it off the lot, why would you buy it? And 49k for that car? They saw this guy coming.

It's sarcastically called the "Australia tax". We Australians get stung way too much for cars. It's the way it is. He'd already signed the contract when the car failed on the show room floor. Seriously, I'm getting such poor service at the moment with my wife's car we are not purchasing another one from the certain company and dealerships we got it through. Considering we bought 3 new cars through them the treatment is really below par.

Ben

Most of the dealership system is in such a deep depression right now…… Morale in shops is at an all time low, making bonus money is impossible, never mind earning a 40 hour week due to overwhelming warranty work. The reliability and quality control of some new vehicles is atrocious. But on the other hand, there are more good vehicles on the road today than ever before.

You must choose wisely. This gentleman didn't….. :lol:

other countries don't often enjoy quite the same level of customer protection that we do.... judging from the article, Chrysler is fobbing off some real BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH on the Australians (and, quite possibly, us as well) and there's little recourse for Australian customers. offering to buy back the car at half the retail price seems ridiculous to me, but then again, i have little experience dealing with new-car purchases as i practically LOATHE and despise most modern cars anyway. if he was able to convince people to help him buy out the contract on the car, good for him, people put donation jars up everywhere here for everything.....

Jeep hasn't represented it's identity truthfully for over a decade anyway. they should all say Dodge on them.

It's sarcastically called the "Australia tax". We Australians get stung way too much for cars. It's the way it is. He'd already signed the contract when the car failed on the show room floor. Seriously, I'm getting such poor service at the moment with my wife's car we are not purchasing another one from the certain company and dealerships we got it through. Considering we bought 3 new cars through them the treatment is really below par.

Ben

Ah, nothing like taxes to jack up the price. Contract or not I wouldn't have taken it off the lot like that. That's ridiculous quality and customer service.

Nothing that hasn't been done before - AP story from 9-23-71. Other stories said he'd saved for five years to buy the car:

Eddie Campos: Folk Hero To Some Car Owners

WHITTIER, Calif.(AP) Eddie Campos was talking about the problems he's had with his car when the phone rang. The caller was a man in San Bernardino who wanted to talk about the problems he's had with his car. Campos didn't know the caller, but listened anyway. Then he shrugged his shoulders and said: "Well, I feel sorry for you. I solved all my problems with one match."

Campos' problem was his 1970 Lincoln Continental Mark III. He got so fed up at the things he said went wrong with it he burned it to a crisp on Aug. 31 with a great deal of ceremony and five gallons of gasoline.

On the front lawn of a nearby Ford assembly plant.

Since then, Campos, married and the father of three, has become sort of a folk hero to some car-owners. His car trouble started about seven miles after he bought the auto in October 1969: His wife, Carletta, says the entire ignition assembly fell out when she tried to start the car. From then on, says Campos, it was back and forth to the dealer with power windows that wouldn't go up or, if up, wouldn't go down, an air conditioner that wouldn't condition, a battery that wouldn't electrify, and more. "It seemed like every time we took it in, something would go wrong with it two weeks later," said Mrs. Campos.

Campos, described by a deputy sheriff after the Great Car Burn as "perfectly sober, perfectly rational and completely disgusted", denies he's on a one-man vendetta against Ford. "I don't think it's that," he says. "It's more of a service to the consumers to help them stand up and demand their rights. As long as they remain silent I'll remain active."

A local spokesman for Ford would only say that a check with the dealer from whom Campos bought the car showed only one complaint had been received from Campos and that it had been handled satisfactorily.

Campos, meanwhile, put the charred black and rust-brown hulk of his $10,300 Lincoln (he's still making payments on it and has $1,812.43 to go) on display on the front lawn of his plastering business here. A five-foot lemon tree sprouts from a hole he chopped in the car's roof.

Campos says he's at least saved another car maker, Chrysler, from an even gaudier display of consumer wrath. "This lady called me up and said she'd been having trouble with a Barracuda she bought," he recalled. "She wanted to drive the car back to the dealer's showroom, set it on fire and burn the whole place down. Thank God I managed to talk her out of that."

Edited by ChrisBcritter

ChrisBcritter -That story has made its rounds --with embellishments and hyperbole-- in my hometown (Whittier) for decades :) . The assembly plant where he practised "Urban Valhalla" was actually in (Pico) Rivera , southwest corner of Rosemead / Washington :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Assembly

Now , on to "Jeep" ...

Where to begin ? The vehicles associated with that nomenclature have been junk for decades , and were only worsened by the Daimler reign !

Front wheel drive Jeep ?!?!? You're kidding , right ?

"Patriot " ?? As I'm fond of saying , "What's so 'patriotic' about a Jeep whose engine's facing the wrong direction ?" :blink: