Model Cars Magazine Forum

remember the AMT "Iron Horse" Mustang?

62rebel

I have been after a Mach I for several years, and have not been able to afford one. However, earlier this year I did get an Iron Horse Variant, which I hope to turn into a Mach1.  I have a set of resin Appliance Apache wheels. Maybe I will just paint it red, assemble it, and call it a day.

It was based on this kit.  I did substitute the rear panel with a copy from the 69 Mach1 custom taillights.  If I recall the Iron Horse did not have the GT40 style side windows or mirrors.  This was was a rescued glue bomb.

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Edited by vamach1

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

Roadster? :blink:

AMTIronHorseMustang0.jpg

Yes, with (I believe) the second issue (the Autolite version), there's a cut line on the inside of the body, to remove much of the roof as shown.  A reissue would be begging for an extra tinted clear shot, Round 2 style... 

9 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yes, with (I believe) the second issue (the Autolite version), there's a cut line on the inside of the body, to remove much of the roof as shown.  A reissue would be begging for an extra tinted clear shot, Round 2 style... 

Was there a separate, wrap-around piece of "glass" included to build the roadster version?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Was there a separate, wrap-around piece of "glass" included to build the roadster version?

Nope, but the kit piece wraps around as on the pictured build.  For some reason, I have all four versions of this car, and scrounged a second Iron Horse for the purpose of building that version also...

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Roadster version possibly looks like this? Had the image in a model reference folder and may have got it from an old post here. Looks pretty cool, simply the kit glass with the roof and the A pillars removed.

AMT_67_Mustang_Iron_Horse_(2).thumb.JPG.ae95b67f728a1ad7d8c08dce64128f1d.JPG

That's an old pic of mine;  but I don't remember posting it...must have been a long time ago.

Just to confirm; yes, this is the roadster version of the Iron Horse built according to the instructions.   

On 12/22/2017 at 2:40 PM, pack rat said:

That's an old pic of mine;  but I don't remember posting it...must have been a long time ago.

Just to confirm; yes, this is the roadster version of the Iron Horse built according to the instructions.   

That Roadster version :wub:

On 12/13/2017 at 8:15 PM, Daddyfink said:

Related image

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the most recent evolution of this kit become a Round 2 reissue at some point.....TIM 

Hmmm....an Original Art Series reissue with the above box art and I'd be happy. As cool as the model is, I doubt I'd ever build one, and I have more Appliance Apache wheels than I would ever use.