Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Unswitchable - Update 6-4-15

TooOld

On 4/1/2015 at 10:27 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Nice work on the frame. Were you able to find pics of the chassis. Love the car. Looking forward to seeing more.

On 4/1/2015 at 1:05 PM, vintagercr said:

Yes how did you come up with the chassis design?

Thanks Bob ad Stephen !

Here are a few of the photos I've found , there's still a lot of guess work involved . ;)

9a

9b

9c

Edited by TooOld

Looks like you have some pretty good references. I never realized that the mpc kit didn't have the right chassis. Was the actual car ever run with a logghe chassis?

No .

Jesse built the car in 1966 for the '67 season but it was obsolete before the season started because of a rules change and it was only entered in Match races and Exhibition races .

The factory backed '66 Mercury Cyclones built by Logghe Engineering were the template for the new rules package .

The exhaust system is unique to say the least. I wonder what the benefits and problems were? Plus it had Air Ride on the rear. Sweet.

I'm glad you're tackling this Bob because it gave me an itch, but I've got 5 other projects all lined up.

Excellent progress. You Florida builders knock me out.

I wish they'd reissue this, but I guess that would kinda peeve you though :rolleyes:

The original chassis molds, more or less, still exist. But the body was restored to the stock '67 that's been reissued many times since the '80s. You could sorta get an "original MPC kit" together of MU, but you'd have to scratchbuild the bodywork and the interior tinwork.

A little progress made on the frame . Fabbed the front crossmember and shock towers , and added mounts for the twin I-beams and the radius rods . In the back I made the coil spring/airbag and upper arm mounts .

Maybe I can get some more done this weekend !

8a

8b

9a (2)

I thought it would be fun to compare the different bodies so I took these photos .

On the top is a stock MPC body .

In the middle is the MPC Mr . Unswitchable .

On the bottom is a body modified as described in the Car Craft article .

One other difference is that the MPC kit is a '67 GTO and Mr . Unswitchable was actually a '66 GTO !

Edited by TooOld

Somebody has to get it right Bob. Thanks for taking the time and effort to honor the original as MPC should have done in the first place.

Thanks Joe !

You gotta remember that back in '67 most of us weren't so picky . I was 12 years old in '67 and built the MPC kit and I loved it ! :D

An interesting project, Bob! I like seeing replicas of these old Drag Cars and with the amount of modifications this project requires, it's even more interesting. Frame and bodywork look very good. I can't wait to see more.

A little progress made on the frame . Fabbed the front crossmember and shock towers , and added mounts for the twin I-beams and the radius rods . In the back I made the coil spring/airbag and upper arm mounts .

Maybe I can get some more done this weekend !

8_zpskugp33hs.jpg

9_zpstqzlnwrd.jpg

I thought it would be fun to compare the different bodies so I took these photos .

On the top is a stock MPC body .

In the middle is the MPC Mr . Unswitchable .

On the bottom is a body modified as described in the Car Craft article .

10_zpsb6sfobn3.jpg

One other difference is that the MPC kit is a '67 GTO and Mr . Unswitchable was actually a '66 GTO !

Now you just need to get someone to cast it

Fabulous project Bob, very inspirational, creative work! Keep it coming!

An interesting project, Bob! I like seeing replicas of these old Drag Cars and with the amount of modifications this project requires, it's even more interesting. Frame and bodywork look very good. I can't wait to see more.

Thanks Gene and Niko !

While waiting on a parts order I decided to set the chassis aside so I've been doing body work all week .

It's getting pretty close so I thought I'd set it up and see how it looks . . .

. . . and I think I've found the wheels and tires I'll be using . :)

Edited by TooOld