Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1965 GTO

migace

I recently gotten an older release of an AMT 65 GTO. The 1986 brown plastic version. Been adding details to it etc. One thing that really is bad on the car is the front headlights are all wrong. They protrude from the headlight housing. So I started to scratch build the headlight buckets, but wanted to pick up another bumper assembly as a back up. When I was online I noticed that in the later editions it seems that the box art car had newer improved headlights that looked better and more correct. Did AMT revise the part or did they just photo shop the picture. Here is what I mean. pics below: Should I just go ahead and get the newer version of the kit? Also looking at the original castings from the first releases and the promos from 1965 the headlight housings also seem to be correct. Although I would never go the expense of getting one of those originals. Thoughts please. I know there are you guys that know the real story. Thank you all for your help!

$_12.JPG

Newer one

Older version headlights (they come above the housings):

$_12.JPG

When I built my '65 GTO, it had the better headlights than the gold version in your photo. But, it had bad chrome. I bought replacement front and rear bumpers from the Modelhaus. I was very happy with the pieces.

The protruding headlights are the result of AMT/Ertl reworking the tooling back to stock in the mid-1980's (it had been changed into a Modified Stocker, with blanked-out headlights, back in the early '70s). I agree with the other posters; the Modelhaus bumpers are the best way to go.

Here is a very sad story. The AMT '65 GTO has had a very difficult life.

It was originally an annual kit from the converted '64 kit. In 1964, the GTO was a hardtop kit and the Tempest was a convertible. AMT decided in 1965 that their would be no hardtop kit, just a convertible with a separate add on roof. The chassis which had 4 screws in 1964, only had 2 in the rear of the 1965. The 1965 was pretty nice with updated seats, front and rear bumpers. The add on roof had a vinyl surface and included side glass. It cost $1:50

The kit must have been popular, or AMT losing the promo contract to MPC, decided to reissue the kit as a Trophy series in about 1966.

In about 1967, the '65 GTO was issued as the Elegance Series. It was in a flat box which included a pearlescent spray can. It was molded in yellow with blue glass. It had no convertible boot, so it was to be built as a hardtop using the add on roof. With mag wheels and red line tires, 50% of the parts were removed from this kit. It cost $3 in 1967 which was outrageous back then.

In 1969, the '65 GTO was reissued in a beautiful box with the All American eagle logo. I believe this is the last time the kit remained unaltered.

Maybe about 1972 or 1973, the '65 GTO was severely ruined. It was now a Modified Stocker. All the emblems were removed, wheels opened and the visors were cut off. No stock part of this kit escaped destruction. The bumpers were totally ruined including the headlights. Ironically, this is the most valuable kit now because ERTL returned the kit to stock (sort of). The vinyl roof was smoothed out.

About 1987, ERTL after buying AMT, decided to make a stock '65 GTO. Compare it to the original and you will see it is bad. ERTL left the racing screens over the headlights. All of the emblems were replaced but they did a horrible job in size and placement. The body shape on the side is wrong too. You need Modelhaus bumpers or forget about building it. The best way I can describe this kit is to compare it to an episode of Star Trek. You know the Menagerie, where the Talosians put the woman Vina back back together incorrectly, because they had never seen a woman before.

ERTL did another issue later and the headlights were better.

It's the only game in town, if you want a '65 GTO. Model Car Garage etched emblems will improve the end results.

I never had an original body (I DO have an original white "vinyl" hardtop I'll use on something someday), but the ends of the rear fenders of the current ones look more like '64s than '65s. When I build mine, I'll file those back and reshape them.

What a great concept looks like that Safari wagon was made from grafting the chevelle wagon onto the pontiac body. Often times forget the GM intermediates shared many similarities

That's what I would assume. Bandit Resins makes a '65 LeMans/Tempest wagon in resin also.

Also any photos of these 1965 GTO's with the better parts?

Here's one posted elsewhere. (The builder is registered and has posted here.) I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules. If it does, moderator, just delete this post and accept my apologies in advance.

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/modeling_subjects/f/29/p/118689/1102138.aspx#1102138

If anyone is interested, Welly does a 1/25 (ish) diecast '65 GTO that's reasonably priced. I have two (gold and dark green) and bought them because they were cheap ($10-$15) and looked more like a '65 GTO than the AMT kit.

2092-4D.jpg

715hjndu%2BDL._SX522_.jpg

• Like 1

The Safari is a Kit-bash--Look at the 3 different colors of plastic in the body!!!!!

I did say it was From a Tan issue of the GTO!!!!

Roof from AMT 65 Malibu Wagon--Gray

Also look at rear fenders, Notice the white wedge shape there??

That is where I raised the fender top to line up correctly with

the window above.

I am hoping to some day alter 2 Good GTO interiors into an accurate 4dr

interior and only use the cargo area from a Malibu interior tub.

I would Love to do this with Polar Lights 64 & Rev 66, but need goor 4-5 view

pic's of them to do that!!

I have the pic's for the 65.

Just need to remember what I did with that Magazine!!!!!

Fortunately, I have an original, unbuilt, AMT 1965 GTO annual. It is light years ahead of anything they had done recently, but as a kit, it is old school with the wire axles and moulded in chassis detail. I had considered trying to do a combination of the Polar Lights' '64 GTO, updated to '65 Specs. I do not know if he has any more, but Missing Link Resin had done a Resin Transkit, which had the original bumpers and a resin copy of the original promo hardtop body. I want to do that annual I have as a convertible.

I had considered trying to do a combination of the Polar Lights' '64 GTO, updated to '65 Specs.

Forget that idea. The roof is very wrong on the PL '64--no way it would meet your standards once you see the discrepancy. Very soon I should be posting some pics showing just what the problem is.

I did this wagon conversion in the 80's with a brown GTO and a yellow 65 Chevelle wagon.

I used a parts box modified stocker GTO rear bumper just have something different.

It's a 2drHT phantom rather than a correct 4dr.

Carmak

post-3782-0-19352100-1430013323_thumb.jp

• 4 years later...

AMT 1191 - '65 Pontiac GTO

Looks like new(?) Hurst wheels for this kit? I don't recall them ever being included. Perhaps they were newly created for the HHUG kit, and will be included here, too.

AMT119165GTO.jpg.6b3a5f146ed72a3ef1c0afddf307addd.jpg

Edited by Casey