Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 MERCURY PARK LANE (AMT) REVIEW REQUEST

fseva

Give them time.... we are seeing some repaired tools. Many not seen in years. When it comes to building, I prefer these over many of the "New" releases cuz it seems some just cant get the bodies right. Most of the AMT and MPC bodies are very accurate, and I am good with that.

Oh, so I'm not the only one having this overall shape issue? I find a lot of the newly tooled ones 'feel' strangely soulless and artificial.

A lot of the old annuals have some nice 'feel' to their shape, even if it might not be entirely accurate from a strictly technical perspective.

One of my favourite comparisons in this respect is the '60 Galaxie. The annual has soul, it lives, it screams '60 Ford. The new one is oddly sterile.

Same with the '63 - '64 Chevies. The old AMT ones are certainly pure, unadulterated rubbish from a 21st century point of view, but compared

with their more modern Revell counterparts, which are certainly a lot better and more accurate, the old ones ooze character.

Or just look at that '66 Mercury here. It is so charming.

I'm not so much interested in replicating brake pipes or vacuum advance diaphragms on carburetters, at least not in 1/25 scale,

for me, it's shape, colour and stance that counts. And for this, those old annuals are superb raw material.

I think of the new toolers, Moebius has found a nice way to combine this 'feel' and adequate accuracy and detailing. Their models still have soul.

I hope the above makes any sense...

What you said Christian not only made sense, but expresses my feelings exactly. I still like the look and feel of the old AMT and MPC annuals over the newly tooled versions of the same cars. I like the new stuff. I just like the metal axle and screw on chassis stuff better. And my AMT '66 Mercury Park Lane I built a few years ago looks great.

Scott

I'm not so much interested in replicating brake pipes or vacuum advance diaphragms on carburetters, at least not in 1/25 scale,

for me, it's shape, colour and stance that counts.

PREACH IT, Brother Junkman!

[Christian said

'I find a lot of the newly tooled ones 'feel' strangely soulless and artificial... sterile' ]

Amen! The old pattern makers seemed to be able to catch all the nuances and character that often comes up short in electronically aided design. The trumpeter Falcon seems a good example. Sometimes certain crowns and curves just don't seem to survive the translation, but that's just as likely as result of time constraints and operater judgement. Sure, they're more precise in some areas and possibly quicker to produce but I find myself drawn more to the old metal axle cars, like many here. Speaking of this type of character reminds me of an old wooden handcrafted boat model I picked up at a garage sale in New Brunswick a few years ago. It carried with it a palpable 'atmosphere' , the comfort you see pictured in photos of an old den; warm wooden panelling, walls lined with books, duck decoys, etc. Serious case of sellers remorse when I let that one go on the big auction site...

mike