Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2015 2nd Qtr releases

For those that haven't already seen it, here's what I know about the all-new Revell '29 A Roadster on '32 Rails/Lowboy Channeled Roadster, copied from the Revell 2nd Quarter Announcements thread also in this folder...seems like every once in a while, the model Genie does actually grant our wishes!:

I've been waiting for this news from Revell to officially break for a long, long time.

I first heard rumblings about a project like this a number of years ago, but never had any official confirmation until I was commissioned by Revell about a year ago to do some minor work on this project (after it had already been designed and tooled). Now Ed Sexton has given me permission to share my impressions about this upcoming kit with you, after having assembled the first test shots from the tooling vendor.

I'll start off by saying this is a most ambitious project. It's like if you listed everything you would ever want in modern / traditional hot rod kits, and then Revell reads your mind and develops the kit accordingly. It has about 95% of what would be on my own personal mental wish list, and several surprising things that go beyond even my most ambitious thoughts.

Here are some elements of the kit that I think you'll find interesting...

* The engine is the one that has been at the top of the wish list for everyone who builds traditional hot rod models....it's a recreation of the 401 Nailhead V8. Of course, I want to hear what the rest of you say after you have a chance to build it, but it's certainly a candidate for the best Nailhead ever put in a kit...

* Two versions of the engine are provided, one with six two-barrels on a log manifold, the other a Hilborn style fuel injection.

* At the time I did the work - get this - the Hilborn setup included a complete fuel block with eight individual fuel lines routing to each injector!

* The basic kit builds two ways....as a traditional '29A Roadster Highboy on a '32 Ford frame....

*...AND as a channeled '29 A Roadster on a "Z'ed" Model A frame. Separate transmission crossmembers for each are provided.

* Both frames and the elements that go with them (suspensions, crossmembers, exhausts, et al) are all new tools – nothing is shared with the prior Revell ’32 Ford Street Rod Series. For instance, the ’32 frame is slightly narrowed ahead of the rear suspension via an inward step in the frame rails.

* Two different traditional tuck'n'roll interiors are designed to fit the Highboy and Lowboy versions.

* The wheels and brake drums are highly detailed....with studs on the finned Buick-style brake drums and holes in the wheels for the studs....and the wheels include fine valve stems. Backing plates front and rear are the traditional ’40 Ford style.

* The ’29 A Roadster body includes a modified rear quarter panel with the wheel well openings moved up in the body (like the Troy Trepanier light olive green roadster from about ten years ago, and several more recent high-viz build projects from others), which then places the tires in the center of the wheel well openings even with the much lower ride height/modern stance incorporated into the Highboy Chassis.

* Speaking of the rear fender wells, Revell's kit fixes an error that is on every kitbashed '29 A Roadster model built with the old AMT body (including my own)....the strengthening ribs on these panels actually protrude outward instead of being recessed as on the AMT body.

* And speaking of tires, they're all new tools and appear just about perfect for all our Traditional Hot Rod Builds...

* One thing that caught my attention is the heavily engraved floorpans for each chassis – all the strengthening ribs you’d expect to see on a 1/1 scale steel body are there.

* There are a number of building options engineered into the tool and when the Revell announcement flyer says “loaded with building options”, let me assure you, they're not kidding.

* The suspension is very traditional up front, with a dropped I-Beam (yes!) and split wishbones. The rear suspension design is more contemporary - what you'd see in a newly built traditional rod designed for driving long miles rather than just posing at the local Rat Rod show. It's a well-executed So-Cal style coil over setup with a modern Dana style diff, very well done with a deeply engraved, separately molded differential pumpkin. (Don’t worry – there are no molded air bags like the prior ’32 Ford series).

* The ride height for both the Highboy and Lowboy chassis appears spot-on - you shouldn't have to be kitbashing on this one to get the ride height you want.

* Wait 'till you see the fuel cell and trunk mounted battery case…

Keep in mind that these observations were based on first round test shots, and there have been many refinements to the tool over the ensuing months, as you would expect. As a result, some things may have changed vs. what I am reporting there.

It should be obvious by now that the kitbashing potential of this kit, with its two different chassis, Nailhead V8, and the many other options it will include, make it every bit the equivalent of the start of Revell's '32 Ford Street Rod series of the last two decades.

I'll provide a bit more background on what I know about this whole endeavor when the kit comes out and you can actually get it in your hands...but as you can imagine, a kit like this does not occur on Auto-Pilot. There are many "heroes" on this project inside Revell, and at least a couple of experts from the outside that I am aware of, whose names you would probably recognize.

So....if you are a Traditional Hot Rod model builder (and based on your comments above - and in many other past threads on this Forum - I know many of you are..), or if even if you’ve never built a hot rod model before but are interested in a very interesting new model kit, this is one that you may want to check out in person on your own modeling desk, and then form your own conclusions….TIM

Edited by tim boyd

Well, everybody should know that this news just made my day! Thank you Tim for all your imput and hard work on this! Thank you Revell, for listening to the average "Joe" and their desire for this subject! Hope they gear up for a runaway sales year. By the sounds of what I've seen here, including myself, they will be selling a lot of this kit!

Well, everybody should know that this news just made my day! Thank you Tim for all your imput and hard work on this! Thank you Revell, for listening to the average "Joe" and their desire for this subject! Hope they gear up for a runaway sales year. By the sounds of what I've seen here, including myself, they will be selling a lot of this kit!

Wayne....I think we all feel this way. This time, my own role was just as a reporter....the team at Revell and those several "outsiders" I mentioned deserve all the credit on this one....TIM

Ha! Wouldn't you know it?? I plunked down $50 on an original Revell Porsche 914 kit a few months ago off eBay, and now they have the nerve to reissue it! :D

I'm glad to see it back though.........that kit has a LOT of potential! The other offerings-------ehhhhhh not that crazy about, but they'll be moneymakers for Revell certainly.

Pretty light on car releases for the 2nd quarter...I'll have to get the 914, never had that one. I'm sure the hot rod and rat rod crowds will like the '29 Ford..sounds like it has a lot of options.

Too bad there aren't any new modern car tools announced for us modern car fans...--I would certainly like to see a full detail kit of the '15 Mustang, along w/ the updated Challenger and Charger Hellcat versions, Camaro Z/28, Cadillac ATS or CTS (esp. the V-series versions), Corvette Z06, Tesla S, etc..

Edited by Rob Hall

Great news! Getting the Model A is perfect for all the gearheads! Plus the Porsche 914 reissue after all these years. Thanks Tim for the details on the 29 and glad to hear about the Nailhead. Always liked the Buick in the Trophy kit of the Willys/Duece Sedan as it had matching valve and plug covers, yet it seems that might have been missed in Revell's offering, which would be a shame. Yet the rest of the kit sounds bang on, especially the two frames. Can see how this will be a hit just as their Duece has been. All this news on the heels of recent threads here regarding the need for a 29 and the great build of the 914; this will surely ignite many of our imaginations!

Cheers Misha

I've been waiting for this news from Revell to officially break for a long, long time.

I'll provide a bit more background on what I know about this whole endeavor when the kit comes out and you can actually get it in your hands...but as you can imagine, a kit like this does not occur on Auto-Pilot. There are many "heroes" on this project inside Revell, and at least a couple of experts from the outside that I am aware of, whose names you would probably recognize.

So....if you are a Traditional Hot Rod model builder (and based on your comments above - and in many other past threads on this Forum - I know many of you are..), or if even if you’ve never built a hot rod model before but are interested in a very interesting new model kit, this is one that you may want to check out in person on your own modeling desk, and then form your own conclusions….TIM

Do hope Revell sends you a final shot, or an production sign-off copy of this new kit, so that you can present it's contents on the various boards and maybe turn it, into an online build

You're retired, so what else can you do to keep you from boredom!

bored-kitty.jpg

:):D:P

Best Regards

Luc

Do hope Revell sends you a final shot, or an production sign-off copy of this new kit, so that you can present it's contents on the various boards and maybe turn it, into an online build

You're retired, so what else can you do to keep you from boredom!

bored-kitty.jpg

:):D:P

Best Regards

Luc

Ahh....I see your modeling buddy is helping you out, Luc. Mine is sitting about 15" away from the keyboard, purring and sleeping while I type this.

I do expect to see a later round of test shots at some point, but not sure if I will be using it for an advance online build or something else. Time will tell...but thanks for the encouragement!

TIM