Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Clay... your progress is looking great man! beautiful work. I sure know the labor pains you went thru with the drive shaft loops. I couldn't tell you how many pieces I redid for my headers on my funny car build that I have going on right now. But to get the parts to where you are completely happy with, it is totally worth the many hours put into it.

I do have to ask are the rear tires Flashpoint pro mod rear wheels?? or something else. Keep up the awesome work on this and I am looking forward to more and learning much more from you. You are one of the top notch builders in my book.

Thanks Chris, The slicks I have are ones Terry sent me a long time ago. He's got several different sizes, so I'm not sure where these fall compared to the rest. I think these are the biggest ones he has. I know they wouldn't fit under my Daytona body, but they will work fine on this Mustang.

Clay

beautiful work Clay!, are you using CA glue to attach the brass parts or something different?

I use green zap-a-gap. I don't know what it is about the dirt modeler brass photo etch, but it really bonds well to styrene with zap. It really holds well.

Clay

Not a big update, but something I've been waiting to do, and think is kind of cool. One of the reasons I wanted to do an R2B2 chassis is I love some of the design features of their cars. The main one is the removable body/titanium rear tree. You may have noticed my rear clip stops short. Right at the rear coil over mounts. The reason why is everything beyond that is all lightweight titanium frame work sort of like a funny car.

I had already added the top tabs before, so I set out to make the two thicker lower picots. I used /040 sheet plastic cut to shape, and added those to the back of the chassis.

P4061776s-vi.jpg

Next I mounted to the body to the chassis and slowly started building inside connecting the tree bar by bar. I used brass rod for the main support because it was easier to bend to the proper shape.

Here's the tree about 80% finished......

P4061775z-vi.jpg

P4061774z-vi.jpg

And pinned in place.

P4061777z-vi.jpg

P4061779z-vi.jpg

And with it mocked up inside the body. I still have more tabs, and body support pieces to add. But it's pretty close.

P4061770z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Clay

WOW, I feel really incompetent right now just seeing this work is just spectacular! I will need to take a look at the R2B2 chassis closer, because this was a feature I definitely over looked from a detail perspective.

Great execution Clay, man I am learning something new every time I see your updates!

It's inspirational to say the least, following your progress on this build Clay. I may not build ProMods myself, but I think the methodology and clean execution that you put into each of your projects is something the average builder can take away from following this thread. Great work, Sir!

Clay - How do you get your technical info on a particular chassis builder (R2B2)? Do you have access to their facility or maybe one of their cars in the pits or something? Looking at what's available in magazines or on TV isn't enough. You show lots of photos at the start of this thread. Are they of one of the R2B2 cars and how do you obtain them?

Clay - How do you get your technical info on a particular chassis builder (R2B2)? Do you have access to their facility or maybe one of their cars in the pits or something? Looking at what's available in magazines or on TV isn't enough. You show lots of photos at the start of this thread. Are they of one of the R2B2 cars and how do you obtain them?

Hi Ted,

I found a lot of R2B2's race car web page, as well as their Facebook page. They are one of the few chassis builders that puts out a lot of info. Lots of pictures during construction, and lots of shots of their cars. Makes my job a lot easier!

Clay

Thank you very much guys!

I was out of town all weekend, so I didn't get any new work done. But before I left on Friday a little box of goodies from Jim at micro nitro http://www.micronitro.net/ showed up!

I can't get over how good Jim's parts are. Most of you already know this.......I had some 1/24 wheels of his before, but to see what he can do in 1/16 scale is just amazing.

Here's the three piece rear wheels, and hubs. I need to open up my slicks a bit to get these to fit, but they are going to look awesome!

P4061780z-vi.jpg

P4061781z-vi.jpg

P4061784z-vi.jpg

And here's what I'm using for the fronts.....his new Gibson style front wheels.

P4061787z-vi.jpg

Thanks again Jim!

Clay

Back to work on the big Mustang......I reworked a few inner bars of the chassis, and it's kind hard to see down in there but I did get the mounting tubes on for the master cylinder. (Two brass tubes by the lower seat belt mount)

I also finally got to the main halo and a few support braces. I still need to finish the drivers floor panels, seat brace straps and a few other things before I add the a-pillar bars in there.

P4101789z-vi.jpg

P4101790z-vi.jpg

One other thing I needed to get done before the interior sealed up was the simulated titanium tranny tunnel. I started with two pieces of .05 brass sheet to form the back part. Then I added the back loop, middle loop, and handle. I couldn't find any brass tube the right size for the front part so I machined one real quick. It was then added along with the front loop. A few strips of Aber PE welds finished it off.

P4101791z-vi.jpg

P4101794z-vi.jpg

P4101793z-vi.jpg

Still needs a bit more clean up, but it's getting there.

P4101796z-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking....Clay