Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Art for Bob Paeth

I belong to a Box art group that incapsulates all Models from wings to Hulls to Cars and More. all Facets . this weeks Download was the Revell 55 Chevy..

I remember Bob mentioning Things that are of interest about this Box art .. Can You tell Us your recollections of it??

thanks..

Revell55Chevy1280-vi.jpg

Regards

The story behind the box art of the original '55 Chevy by Revell:

The '55 Chevy hardtop was in the model shop when I started with Revell. The model shop was in the process of making all of the prototype parts that would make up the final kit. Art Russell was the model maker. The responsibility fell upon me to make sure that all of the features of the kit were correctly done according to the engineering plans. In the meantime the art department was starting work on what the box art would look like and at the same time I was asked to suggest what to put onto the decal sheet. Because of the development cost of the kit I was relegated to design a very small decal. Being new to the "scene" and somewhat still stary eyed in my newfound posistion, I thought it would be cool to put my name on the decal. The three research analysts ( as we were called ) were Lloyd Jones ( airplanes and ships ) Jim Keeler and myself. I decided to name them also. I tried various combinations of the names ie. Paeth-Keeler-Jones, Jones-Paeth-Keeler etc. but decided that Keeler-Paeth and Jones had a certain "ring" to it. The engineering department did the original drawing of the decal and it was sent to the printer along with the order for a printing of 50,000. In the meantime, the art department commisioned Jack Lynnwood to draw the '55 showing a drag senerio. In his art work he depicted the decal sheet as it would be in the kit. As an aside, I also included the name of my immediate boss Jack Winslow on the decal. When the owner of Revell, Lew Glaser, saw the finished boxart he sorta went ballistic. No one at Revell should be in the picture. Because Keelers name was the first called out Lew figured he was the one who had designed the decal. He called Jim Keeler up to his office and demanded to know why he had done this action. Poor Jim didn't have an answer as this was the first he had known about it, ( I hadn't told him what I had done ). By the time Lew found out who was responsible, the box was being printed, the decal sheet was already finished and the cost to re-do everything was way too much to be realistic for change.

As you can see, all of the reissues of the kit had a different decal sheet and the names were deleted.

bob

That's an amazing story, Bob. I have a copy of that kit that I found in the attic...apparently it was my dad's. I'll have to check and see if I have the decals in there, it's not in great shape but it's not totally destroyed, either.

What I want to know is....WHY did Mr. Glaser have a problem with it? While I may be grossly mis-informed...Under my impression it was not common knowledge who Revell's employees were to the "general public"...How would your average Joe Gluetube have even KNOWN the people mentioned were Revell employees, and not just assumed they were names found in the phonebook or something like that?

The story behind the box art of the original '55 Chevy by Revell:

The '55 Chevy hardtop was in the model shop when I started with Revell. The model shop was in the process of making all of the prototype parts that would make up the final kit. Art Russell was the model maker. The responsibility fell upon me to make sure that all of the features of the kit were correctly done according to the engineering plans. In the meantime the art department was starting work on what the box art would look like and at the same time I was asked to suggest what to put onto the decal sheet. Because of the development cost of the kit I was relegated to design a very small decal. Being new to the "scene" and somewhat still stary eyed in my newfound posistion, I thought it would be cool to put my name on the decal. The three research analysts ( as we were called ) were Lloyd Jones ( airplanes and ships ) Jim Keeler and myself. I decided to name them also. I tried various combinations of the names ie. Paeth-Keeler-Jones, Jones-Paeth-Keeler etc. but decided that Keeler-Paeth and Jones had a certain "ring" to it. The engineering department did the original drawing of the decal and it was sent to the printer along with the order for a printing of 50,000. In the meantime, the art department commisioned Jack Lynnwood to draw the '55 showing a drag senerio. In his art work he depicted the decal sheet as it would be in the kit. As an aside, I also included the name of my immediate boss Jack Winslow on the decal. When the owner of Revell, Lew Glaser, saw the finished boxart he sorta went ballistic. No one at Revell should be in the picture. Because Keelers name was the first called out Lew figured he was the one who had designed the decal. He called Jim Keeler up to his office and demanded to know why he had done this action. Poor Jim didn't have an answer as this was the first he had known about it, ( I hadn't told him what I had done ). By the time Lew found out who was responsible, the box was being printed, the decal sheet was already finished and the cost to re-do everything was way too much to be realistic for change.

As you can see, all of the reissues of the kit had a different decal sheet and the names were deleted.

bob

Bob...

the Box art group would Like to use this for their website with Your Permission of course.

Thanks.

Dwayne, You pay me a great compliment. Of course, you may use anything that you would like. Let me know if I can do anything more.

bob

Bob...

The compliment comes to You from Your experiences.. I'm sure others including myself would Like to hear More of You experiences from Your working experiences at Revell.

• 7 years later...