Model Cars Magazine Forum

​I would like to remind everyone that there is an "Ignore" function available in your settings. I find that it is most useful in cases like this, you know when the hospitals forget to lock the doors and patients escape!

This topic was talked about last night at the club meeting , our main model swap meet we hold three times year , is held at loction that is I think 1300 square feet, it gets very cramped in there, and during the peek hours, can be very hard to walk , let alone look at whats for sale, and like what was already posted , you know who has not showered in a while.

I had to laugh out loud at the comment about walking around four times, I do that every time , I will circle and circle and look at the same kits a half a dozen times :lol:

I was going to mention the personal hygiene issue but it has already been addressed. I'd feel awful if I hadn't showered in a few days (or at least SMELLED like it) and gotten right in somebody's face smelling like I've been hiding in the woods. This has happened several times at shows I've attended. It's not TOO much to ask to try to shower and wear (mostly) clean clothes when going out in public to socialize with others. If I'm at a show and I see a kit I want, I'll ask if there's a chance I can get it for a discount; if not, it depends on how bad I want that particular kit. I try to be courteous enough to move my conversations out of the way of others so as not to cause a traffic block. I also had to chuckle at the mention of the dude (s) that stand by their model and talk your head off about it. Lol. That happened to me at a show last year and the guy actually FOLLOWED me until he explained the whole thing! I listened because I was raised to not be rude to people plus I figured he's been locked in a basement somewhere with a minimum amount of human interaction. Lol.

Edited by Tonioseven

Way back when I did the swap meets I used to hate the "Quality Control" inspectors come along and not only open, but DUMP OUT the contents, inspect, then attempt to jam it all back into the box. This little act of disregard for others property usually resulted in scratched chrome and dismounted parts. It got so bad that when ever someone started to open a box I would place my hand on the lid stopping them and ask for $5. They would always reply they just wanted to look at it. And I would alway reply that the $5 was put towards the rechroming of a soon to be depreciated mint kit. The $5 per inspecting also compensated me for the value loss suffered from being handed by all swap meet attendees.

Manhandling of kits ended immediately.

Way back when I did the swap meets I used to hate the "Quality Control" inspectors come along and not only open, but DUMP OUT the contents, inspect, then attempt to jam it all back into the box. This little act of disregard for others property usually resulted in scratched chrome and dismounted parts. It got so bad that when ever someone started to open a box I would place my hand on the lid stopping them and ask for $5. They would always reply they just wanted to look at it. And I would alway reply that the $5 was put towards the rechroming of a soon to be depreciated mint kit. The $5 per inspecting also compensated me for the value loss suffered from being handed by all swap meet attendees.

Manhandling of kits ended immediately.

I always try and respect the vendors and their kits, and will always ask if I can open the kit up, and then, I just pick the trees up, or move them just enough to make sure every thing is in there, I try handle the kit as little as possible.

I too am guilty of making laps, haha. never know what you'll spot that you missed the first 300 times around.

I find it funny that in the short time I have been going to shows, you guys have pointed out almost everything I have encountered.

I always try and respect the vendors and their kits, and will always ask if I can open the kit up, and then, I just pick the trees up, or move them just enough to make sure every thing is in there, I try handle the kit as little as possible.

I do the same, and even the, only with kits I'm seriously considering. Never with kits just to be nosey.

What gets me sometimes (?) is that when you ask a vendor if they can do any better on an outrageously priced kit or promo, yeah, they might come down a few bucks, but by the end of the show, on your third or fourth trip around the room, they're still sitting with that kit..!! Do they honestly want to keep singing "Happy Birthday" to that kit or promo year after year?? If they asked a more reasonable price they'd go home with more money in their pocket and have less stuff to carry out and pack up at the end of the day. It's all about greed, just like some of the absurd "Buy It Now" prices on EBAY. Believe me, I'm not against making a decent buck's profit in this hobby, but come on now...... I know... I know... What the market will bear...

I've seen that, too Richard. But I've also had the opposite experience, too. Found two kits I wanted from the same vendor, both were reasonably priced, especially when compared to the ebay prices. The vendor actually knocked $5 off the total since I bought both kits. I also have a '57 Chevy station wagon promo, the one I posted in the thread about that Pontiac promo. The vendor didn't have a price on it, and when I asked him how much, rather than the ridiculous ebay price (I saw a similar one for about $150), he said "$6 be ok?". That Chevy found itself a new home that day.

I don't have any problems at the swap meet with the vendors or the crowds at all. I usually go with a couple of friends and we do our shopping and catch up with old acquaintances, chat, walk around "one more time," and then go to Hooters or The Tilted Kilt for lunch. Sure some kits might be overpriced, but the bottom line is either you want that kit, or you don't. If you go home "empty handed," so be it, as I'm sure you guys have plenty left to build.

...Do they honestly want to keep singing "Happy Birthday" to that kit or promo year after year?? If they asked a more reasonable price they'd go home with more money in their pocket and have less stuff to carry out and pack up at the end of the day. It's all about greed...

Sometimes I think they just want to show (brag?) about what they have. Mostly it's for show, but for the absurd price for the buyer who just has to have it, they'd sell it. You and I, Richard, are not that person. I take no pity upon those folks just want to cart them around set up the same models year after year like business cards.

It's gonna get worse. Just recently on the TV news and online, it was said we bathe too much. We shouldn't bathe every day. Sorry, I am not giving up my daily shower. I know the basement dwellers will use this as an excuse not to introduce themselves to Mr. soap bar and Mrs. Shampoo; with a slight dalliance with Ms. deodorant and Miss cologne, more often. Also, when encountering an overpriced kit, I just ask if he really wants to sell it or is he running a museum. I once seen a gluebomb Toyota 2000 GT kit go for the north of 150 bucks...and it was missing a few parts. Finally found one for a lot less only missing tires which are easily found in the parts bin.

Having strong body order can be an effective bargaining tool :lol:

It very well may be a strategy. The crowd parts when he walks through!

I was at a show a few years ago and there was a guy who didn't have BO, he smelled like he had a load in his pants. Phew!

My peeve is vendors who don't put prices on their stuff! Some of these guys wonder why nobody is buying, but it's human nature not to ask because the belief is that they'll want too much. Bill showed the opposite, the $150 promo for $6, but it wouldn't have been there for him if there had been a $6 tag on it!

There was a resin vendor who would have something like 50 different kits across his tables with no prices on them. I'd ask how much one was, he'd answer, but by the third kit (they were all dif prices) he was giving me the evil eye. What he didn't understand was that he had a lot of stuff I liked and I was going to buy 3-4 pieces. But there were times I'd just walk on by because I didn't want the confrontation.

Then there was the guy who didn't price his stuff because he thought he was smarter than everyone. He'd size up each buyer as they walked up and give different prices to everyone based on his impression of the person. That got around so people were wary of dealing with him. Once he gave me a much higher price than my friend, so I sent my friend back to get it for me. Then I walked past him holding the kit!

This topic was talked about last night at the club meeting , our main model swap meet we hold three times year , is held at loction that is I think 1300 square feet, it gets very cramped in there, and during the peek hours, can be very hard to walk , let alone look at whats for sale, and like what was already posted , you know who has not showered in a while.

I know what you mean! But after I lost nearly 30 lbs, that union hall seemed a whole bunch bigger...

I got pretty lucky with that promo. Not only was it not marked, but it was in a spot where it wasn't easily seen if you weren't checking what the vendors had on the floor under their tables. Not hidden, just simply not up high. I spotted that long roof (didn't notice how warped it was at first) and knew I just had to have it.

Now with resin vendors, I've had the good fortune to have had all of the resin vendors I've dealt with have their prices clearly posted. I mainly deal with a vendor for Modelhaus, plus Jimmy Flintstone and the guys from D.R.A.G. show up, too. All great guys, in fact, Kris Morgan helped me out when the bag I had mad a few other purchases split on me. He gave me a bag, no questions asked. This was before I even purchased anything from him. That left a very good impression on me.

Lack of hygene is not restricted to just shows. As a manager at the soon to be defunct Greenfield News And Hobby I have to deal with people every day that should be spending money on soap instead of kits! One of our cashiers has a can of Lysol behind the counter that she will spray as some of these stink bombs are leaving.

And why is it that people with breath that's worse than a bag of dead snakes have to talk to you 2 inches away from your face, keep backing up and they will continue to move up on you. Yikes!!! Some people really have a lack of regard for personal space.

Edited by Phirewriter

I don't think it's limited to model car builders at all. Seems to be a growing and recurring theme with people in general. Especially those who go to grocery stores, *marts, and even court houses in their pyjamas and slippers and holey T-shirts or skin-tight tops when they shouldn't be wearing anything skin-tight.

A LOT of people have just gotten slovenly in their dress and hygiene and manners and literacy. It's a systemic societal plague. After all, NO ONE can tell them how they should live/behave.

After many years of observation in the hobby industry it really seems that the car modelers are most guilty of hygiene issues. We have as many if not more military hobbyist's come into the store and they are rarely hygienically challenged. As a automotive modeler it is kind of embarrassing.