Model Cars Magazine Forum

Animal Jim Zephyr and Bob Glidden Fairmont on progress

Is it possible to get a few chassis pics? I'm about to start building one and could use some referance pics. :)

This are some of the pictures I found in the web with some details of the car, hope it help. I will be posting a couple of pictures of my A.J. car build progress tonight.

http://www.bruracing.com/56chevy/media/displayimage.php?album=13&pos=0

Again thanks to all for the kid words about this two projects, and a BIG thank you has to go to Scott..Futurattraction...which gave us this Superb Fairmont and other detail goodies so all of us who wanted to build a Fairmont or its brother variant Zephyr can finaly do so!!!

Edited by Plasticfanatic

A chassis tip: I remember an old article in SSDI about Zeke, and at that time Animal Jim said the chassis was outdated because he was among the only ones left that was running a 3 link instead of a 4 link.

Thanks once more for the kind comments.

I am almost done on the Animal Jim Zephyr car, and have also work on the Glidden 1978 Fairmont, these two projects have been fun, will post pictures of A.J. Zephyr progress tomorrow evening.

One of the things I like to do with some of my race car builds is to try a do a miniature figure of the driver...after all what is a racing machine with out it's driver and soul!!!! I used as a base one of Revell Dick Landy Dart resin figure that came with the kit, have cut it and reposition the figure to bring it close to a picture I downloaded of A.J. and Zeke. I already finished and painted the figure and will posted with tomorrow ZEKE update.

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Well got some more done to the Animal Jim Zephyr, I am not to happy with the paint job but it will have to do, still have to wet-sand and polish the paint/clearcoat. Nothing is is glued to the body yet. Still working on the engine detailing/lines and since is a "budget" build...A.K.A. no aftermarket parts. I tried to get the correct gold finish of the wheels, paint them chrome finisn and airbrushed Tamiya transparent yellow over it, the same with the engine bay and interior floor panels, thanks to my good friend Norbert who find a bottle of this paint overhere, in our area is becoming more and more dificult to find hobby supplies.

Still a lot of work ahead on the Zephyr but is getting there, hope you like it.

001-vi.jpg002-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words about this projects. I will update the Glidden Fairmont car soon,painting the red and blue stripes on the body right now.

It has been a lot of fun building these two cars and am looking forward to finish them up compleatly, I am even thinking of doing the Lee Hunter car...IF I can scrape the depleted hobby funds for another Fairmont body!!!

I went back and reread your opening paragraph. I don't know how much of a rush you're in to totally finish this build, but I am working on a Zephyr PE grille insert if you have any interest in it...

Hi Scott,

That sound great, please let me know when they are ready and knowing your quality work and attention to detail I am pretty sure it will be another great offering from your already great parts lineup.

Edited by Plasticfanatic

The painted Glidden car, I choose to paint all the color lines in the body...not "great" paint job...but I like very much the result, still have to fix a little blue dot on the engine hood, but apart from that it turn nice....I think!!!, nothing is glued in place yet including the door.

001-vi.jpg

3-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg