Model Cars Magazine Forum

Final assembly

Am I the only one who runs into a problem in final assembly ? Seems like no matter how well my models are going I almost always screw something up during final assembly. My fault for sure but I think I may be developing a complex as I near the end of a build. It could be a smear of some sort on the glass or a boo boo as I try to mount the small items like a mirror. Misplaced spot glue that somehow managed to get on my finger. Maybe I rush as I near the end, I don't know. Anyone else ?

Sometimes, yup. Dropped a pair of pliers on one once. In a rush. Dropped the whole model once...also in a rush to get it to a club meeting. Once turned over a bottle of liquid glue on the bench, didn't notice it until the chassis was stuck solid to the wood worktop.

One of the reasons I obsessively test fit all through the build process is to avoid unpleasant surprises at the end, but I don't always catch everything.

But see, I figured out how to eliminate the problem entirely.

NEVER FINISH ANYTHING ! :lol:

Yup have had it happen to me before. To minimize the problem I assemble as much as possible, do a lot of test fitting and also mock up with white glue to reduce surprises. Also I try to mask glue points to minimize handling of painted parts. I've found that these steps reduce most final assembly problems. I use the same procedure for out of box or kitbash projects.

and i thought that only happened to me.... i take my time on each and every build but for some reason towards the end of the build i either rush a step and make a huge mistake or get a bit bored with the build and push it to the end... this after taking over 2 months to get a build to the final few steps.... so happy to know its not just me... ruined windshield...snapped frames trying to mount tires.... doorhandles falling off and leaving trails of glue down a really nice paint finish..sigh ...on and on and on.

Yeah, seems like everything is going smoothly and test fitting all goes well. Then you go to the final assy. step and nothing wants to quite fit right.

Yes, that's the type of problem that I occasionally run into. You can test fit parts, etc. until you turn blue, but until the entire glass, interior and firewall are in the painted body, and the engine and wheels are mounted on the chassis, that is usually the time when I sometimes find that everything does not fit together properly...... it's always at final assembly...!!! Extremely aggravating... It usually then involves disassembling something and doing some sort of modifying, trimming, sanding, etc., which then involves a bunch of reglueing and paint touch-ups Just when you're so close to the end of the project. Ahhhh, the joys of the hobby...

I had a truck build going flawlessly. Last I was to do was spray the clear coat. It was a black and white combination of colors on the truck. I used Testors High Gloss Clear Enamel. The white ended up yellowish because of the enamel. If I knew then what I know now!

Yes, that's the type of problem that I occasionally run into. You can test fit parts, etc. until you turn blue, but until the entire glass, interior and firewall are in the painted body, and the engine and wheels are mounted on the chassis, that is usually the time when I sometimes find that everything does not fit together properly...... it's always at final assembly...!!! Extremely aggravating... It usually then involves disassembling something and doing some sort of modifying, trimming, sanding, etc., which then involves a bunch of reglueing and paint touch-ups Just when you're so close to the end of the project. Ahhhh, the joys of the hobby...

This happens almost every time to me as well. But the only way to go here is, as you said, go and fix the problem. I've always thought that if I have made it this far with this model, I'm not going to rush it in the end. And so far I haven't done that.

Yes Niko, but the most frustrating thing is that, all along until that end point, everything has gone perfectly... great parts fit, minor assemblies go very well, paint finishes are near perfect, etc...etc... Then......WHAMMO... It won't all go together...!!!

Fortunately (or unfortunately..??) this only seems to happen on the models that you've put the greatest effort into with extra details and finishes. :angry:

So glad it is not only me. Sometimes I ask myself why I put myself through this but truth be told even with the problems I still enjoy the hobby............. most of the time ! : )

I honestly believe that for some of us, half the fun is in overcoming the problems and difficulties that arise during the building process.

You mean like this afternoon when I am trying to trim some Bare Metal Foil to a panel line, and I cannot get the blade to follow the edge for the life of me?
Yeah, I know what you mean. So frustrating.
As for glass, perhaps cover both sides with pieces of Post-It notes on both sides?
Good luck. Keep on moving forward with it!

And we're having a great time........the one I'm working on now, during final assembly, black paint, on a yellow body. s Sorry not going back now, just going to have to live with it.

It's absolutely hilarious sometimes.

You go through test fitting, then priming, painting, detailing, test fitting, building an immaculate interior, more detailing, then priming, painting, more test fitting, assembling a chassis with suspension, THEN priming, painting, foiling, detailing, metal badging, glossing a body till it shines better than any car you've EVER driven off a dealer's lot.

Then breathe a sigh of relief.... almost done...

MKK the glass on the inside sills, attach the glass, let it set for awhile to give the white glue time to disappear, then Triple Checking the body, chassis, and interior for fitment problems....

All good...

Then put it together....

ONLY TO FIND OUT THE BLESSED BODY WAS SOMEHOW WARPED!!!!!!!

AND YOU WOULD SWEAR ON YOUR NINTH GENERATION GREAT AUNT THRICE REMOVED WHO DIED IN 1875 THAT @#$/^&* WARP WAS NEVER THERE!!!!!!!!

DID THE WARP FAIRY SNEAK IN THE NIGHT BEFORE AND BLESS THE MODEL SOMEHOW?!?!?!

Ummmmmmmm..... nope. Never happened to me. I have no idea what your problem is.....

I honestly believe that for some of us, half the fun is in overcoming the problems and difficulties that arise during the building process.

I think there is some truth in that but for me my fixes are most always Mickey Mouse or clumsy looking. How many have posted photos making sure that our boo boos don't show ? : ) Those are my closet cars. Back in the box and on the top closet shelf.

... Seems like no matter how well my models are going I almost always screw something up during final assembly. ...Anyone else ?

Oh yeh... best blunder of the bunch involved the 911 woody in my avatar pic, where it was basically 99.99% and all I wanted to do was touch up a scuff on the bottom of the engine (which really nobody would see anyway), but in trying to be too clever in mixing the settled silver paint, I made a slightly L-shaped sprue rod and chucked it in my motor tool to give the paint a good stir..... and dropped the bottle. Almost all of the paint sloshed onto my shoe and the carpet, with most of what was on the 10k rpm spinning sprue ending up as random spots on the window and wall, but several drops splatted on the model. They buffed out of the PPG Deltron clear with no real problem, but I thanked my lucky stars that one drop only hit the A-piller instead of landing on the windshield. I can still see (with magnifiers) the slightly differrent shade of touch-up black for the rubber trim there.