Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tow Rig and trailer Community Build?

I have been reading through your forums for a little while now looking over all the different types of build projects and must say I really have enjoyed what I have seen. Many talented and skilled builders in these forums. I use to build years ago, I just got back into it recently and I always seem to build better when I have some other people building the same thing for inspiration. I was curious if there would be any members interested in a truck trailer and weekend toy build?

Basically my plan for this build would be for any interested builder to build a tow rig, trailer and then put something on the trailer that you'd see if you were going down the highway. Obviously there will be a ton of options which will make this a awesome build. Drag Car, Mud Truck, Old restored hot rods and muscle cars, ATVs, Snowmobiles etc. Everything you build is totally up to you, there wont be any rules as to what you build as long as its something you have in 1:1 or could picture in 1:1 as you pass it on the freeway.

It would be cool if we could get say 10+ people to join in this build. That would make it fun, a thread with more updates and we would get to see everyones ideas. Does a build like this interest anybody? If so, Just post what you will be starting with and it can be already started or a brand new kit. I'll leave that up to you to decide. Anyone got any other ideas for this kinda build? I appreciate all comments/feedback you may have.

I wouldnt put a end time on it because I hate being rushed when building or scrambling to make it to a show and I am just throwing this out there as a fun build to get everyones wheels turning on a project that may be outside of there usual building area. I will keep it open ending date, just hopefully the builders will post up some updates and keep the topic somewhat active.

Count me Brock..

I picked up a glue bomb,bass boat in some horrid red plastic for 3 bucks.

With warm weather around the corner it'll be cool to make it a combo with a

84 Chevy truck from my stash.

Joker

Awesome! Glad to see more interest and I cant wait to see what ya bring to the table with the gmc and boat. That GMC is one of my favorite kits.

Been workin' on this for a while...the tow vehicle is losing the blowers to make it a little more practical. Maybe a community build would help me to stay focused on it better.

DSCN7807.jpg

Been workin' on this for a while...the tow vehicle is losing the blowers to make it a little more practical. Maybe a community build would help me to stay focused on it better.

DSCN7807.jpg

Sweet! Be cool to have you join. The more people who join, The funner this build will be.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten started on this. The Sodbuster and Ground Shaker issues of the MPC Chevy pickup have Custom Deluxe 20 badging, making them 3/4 tons. I used the wheels from an MPC Dodge kit.

DSC_0731.JPG

Cobbled together a BBC and TH400 from the parts bin...

DSC_0749.JPG

Cut the deck out from the Revell boat trailer to make it a bit more feasible and found a set of trailer-looking rims from the parts bin...

DSC_0737.JPG

I have several boats kicking around so I combined the two different insert options to give the extra seat as well as the extra storage.

DSC_0732.JPG

No picture but the engine is a combination of the bass boat base and racing boat cover.

Ensemble!

DSC_0733.JPG

Started on the '84 GMC by fixing the sides on the bed.

Filled them with stretched sprue. Then I filled in the

tailgate for a continuous look to the body.

Fixed the cab corners and scribed the cab panels.

The trailer, I got cheap at a show.I think it was part

of a van/trailer combo.The wheels/tire combos are

chromies/baby moons I got from a club buddy(thanks Gene).

Soaked the coffee stir sticks in soy sauce.

Blah Blah Blah....(inner voice)

DSCN2665-vi.jpg

DSCN2667-vi.jpg

DSCN2670-vi.jpg

DSCN2664-vi.jpg

99.9% done

DSCN2685-vi.jpg

Joker

• 10 months later...

Okay, so, long time for an update. Thankfully there was no deadline on this...! Did some fiddly work with the cab: cleaned up the corners and added some strip styrene to replicate the stainless trim under the rear window.

20140320_231909.jpg

20140320_231918_1.jpg

20140320_231941.jpg

I thought this CBP was dead.

Like the subject/topic .. so I joined.

Not much traffic so I put the GMC

and trailer away.

Great work on the trim around the

cab btw. Cab corner work is similar

to what I did to fix my '84.

Thanks, James. The corners were a little trickier due to being able to see more with a step side bed. I wanted to try and build different versions of these trucks than what was put out in kit form; adding the trim to an MPC and removing it from a Monogram. :)

Here's another mockup shot. Fixed the wheel attachments, now they don't fall off if I look at them sideways.

20140324_204701.jpg

And I managed to seriously mangle the big block I had cobbled together trying to straighten out one of the heads that was on crooked. Dug out an AMT 70 Monte Carlo that I picked up for parts and got the engine, big block radiator, and AC condenser setup for this truck. Getting kinda tight in there.

20140324_204721.jpg

According to my brochures the 454 was only available in C30 pickups but I'd like to think a fellow would've been able to order a K20 and tick the LE8 option back in 1981... :)

Edited by kataranga