Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fast & Furious Tribute build!

bandit1

Have gotten started on Road Runner. This is the real car I'm using as "inspiration"..
photo-vi.jpg

Car is called the Hammer. I have seen two versions of this car. One that has a blown 440 and one with a normally aspirated Hemi. One that has a black Hemi hockey stick on rear quarters and one without.
I'm using the newer release Monogram kit.
photo-vi.jpg

Kit comes with a 440, but I picked up a hemi for it. Still trying to make it look "right". Appears to be a amalgamation from several kits; even has the DOHC heads. I sanded down the mold lines on the rear quarters and closed off the hood scoop.
photo-vi.jpg
photo-vi.jpg

Will be using a set of Pegasus Vantage wheels so I removed the stubs from front and rear axles.
photo-vi.jpg
photo1-vi.jpg
May have to remove some material from mounting point of wheel to get under the fenders.
Body in primer. Not sure if you can tell from picture but I will need to use more gap filler on two small parts around scoop plate on hood.
photo-vi.jpg
photo2-vi.jpg

Painted Duplicolor Honda Galaxy Gray. Four coats and polished with pads up to 8k
photo-vi.jpg
photo1-vi.jpg

Edited by o-man

Ok, lets see if laptop and forum will speak nicely to each other. Continuation of previous post about Hammer Road Runner.

Body after polish.

photo1-vi.jpg

After several coats of clear.

photo1-vi.jpgphoto-vi.jpg

Body hit with polish and center of hood painted flat black. Used a silver Sharpie for the window and grille trim.

photo2-vi.jpgphoto1-vi.jpg

Wheels before and after spokes painted black.

photo-vi.jpgphoto3-vi.jpg

Kit comes with a bench seat instead of bucket like real car. Don't have any extra buckets so I improvised. Picture of real interior. This car shows it without a center console, but I've seen pictures of it with one. I think that is one of many differences between the real and movie car. Both cars come with custom gauge cluster; left this stock.

photo2-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Still unsure if I will leave the seats two tone or paint them the lighter color; opinions?

Small update. Got interior assembled.
photo-vi.jpg
photo-vi.jpg

Got Hemi assembled. Not sure what kit this came from, picked it up on eBay. Painted block assembly MM Aluminum. Valve covers stripped of chrome and painted MM Steel. Headers are Tamiya Metallic Gray and trans is Tamiya Gunmetal. Didn't worry too much on carb since it will be covered by air cleaner assembly.
photo-vi.jpg

Last, head and taillight panels. There is a Plymouth decal for rear panel, but I think I'm going to leave script body color.
photo-vi.jpg

Kit went together decently. Biggest problem was getting the body and chassis to sit down. Also has an ill fitting hood like its bowed up on rear corners. Used a silver Sharpie for the trim. The build of the real car says it was finished in a satin chrome. Brakes are from a Fujimi wheel set with Wilwood decals from Slixx.

photo-vi.jpg
90927_Engine_Web-vi.jpg
photo-vi.jpg
DSCN4133-vi.jpg
DSCN4134-vi.jpg
DSCN4135-vi.jpg
DSCN4136-vi.jpg
DSCN4137-vi.jpg
DSCN4138-vi.jpg

I'm still waiting for my daytona to get here I think ot is lost in the high desert

I know how you feel. My box shipped on December 5th, it arrived stateside on December 19th. No sign of the package yet and I don't get tracking since it's from Japan. :( Probably being held by customs with suspicion of it being a bomb or something.

• 2 weeks later...