Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Chevrolet Vega Funny Car

W-409

Thanks, Chris and Brett!

Niko... the frame is off to a good start. I know cleaning the frame up by removing the mold line is time consuming. Trust me the first few nights when I first started my Vega F/C it felt like thats all I did, but totally worth it in the end. Keep up the great work.

I know that feeling... And I'm feeling it right now after doing some more cleaning and sanding etc... But that's true, the end-result is absolutely worth it. This just needs to be done, otherwise this isn't looking so good when finished. Detailing is great way to get model looking more realistic, but if there are lots of mold lines all over, that's not good because then it can't be looking like 1:1 car does... So what I do, is keep going and clean up that frame so it's ready to be primered.

Alright... I took the body off from the paint-stripping. There's still some paint left, but I'm going to sand them off, because they are really hardly on. I also noticed, that someone has built missing spoiler from styrene. I'm not sure, but if I can get that styrene off, I'm going to build new one from styrene, but if not, then I must repair that one. The last picture shows, that if I can't get that spoiler off, I must add little styrene slip to make that spoiler look better. Now it's not looking correct...

PA220050.jpg

PA220051.jpg

PA220052.jpg

PA220053.jpg

PA220054.jpg

Looking good Niko... if you arent able to remove that rear wing easily like you want too. You could always cut it off by scribing it. Lay down a few layers of masking tape or fine line tape to use as a guide and take your time scribbing it til you remove the piece. I am sure its going to look great witht he new spoiler you are gonna do for it.

Wow, thanks everyone!! That frame is getting there slowly, but surely. Today it will be time to primer it... Hopefully. :D And Chris, that's great idea. I must try if I can get it off easily, but if not, I'll do just like that. There might be an update coming today, stay tuned. B)

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking, what to do for that frame. And I decided to do as Chris has done with his Army Vega: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42096&view=findpost&p=566814 That seems to be the easiest way to make really realistic frame. That way, I was trying didn't work as nicely as I wanted, because I can't get it as round enough. So maybe some styrene tubing will help me here. Just needs to pick up right size styrene for that. But I think, it'll be the best way to make realistic frame. I can't scratchbuild one, maybe it would be possible from brass, but not from plastic.

So now I need right size styrene tubing. Maybe I'll work with the body while I'm looking for styrene. :D