Model Cars Magazine Forum

the oldest contest

bob paeth

On March 2, 3, & 4, in Portland, Oregon there will be one of the finest model car contests in the Pacific Northwest. this will be the 36th year of the contest, the oldest, continious, contest in the United States. It is held in conjunction with the Portland Roadster Show. this way participants get to see a 1/1 custom car show as well as the model contest. Both shows usually have 300+ entries.

The contest has junior classes as well as senior age groups. The "senior" side will have over 18 different classes ( something for everyone ). "Move-in night" is March 1st. Enter at this time and both shows are free. We will give you a pass to come back and see both shows when they are open. There is no charge for entries into the model contest or a limit as to how many you may enter. You will, however, have to pay admission to the 1/1 show to get to the contest area after the show opens. But, you still get a free pass so that you can see the shows twice whoopie ). New model kits will be part of the awards given for the contest along with some very col plaques and ribbons. Awards are given from 3rd place to 1st place with special awards for paint, interior undercarriage (& engine ) and BEST OF SHOW.

Security of the models is not a problem as all competing models are displayed under large plastic bubbles. This not only protects them from prying fingers but it allows the public to see them from a distance of only a few inches.

Show hours are Friday2PM to 10PM, Saturday 10AM to 10PM and Sunday from 10AM to 7PM. the contest hours are the same except for Sunday. Awards will be given out about 3:30PM and everything will be gone by 5PM.

There is plenty of parking but it is not free. You can park by a nearby shopping center ( Lloyd Center) and take the "MAX" train for free and it stops right at the front door of the complex.

The show and the contest location is in the Portland Convention Center located on Martin Luther King Blvd. Coming in from either I-5 or I-84 there are signs showing the way. ( look for the two big green glass towers)

I might add that during the contest there is always somebody building a model at the contest table. Stop and look, you might even learn something ( maybe )

If I have not answered all of your questions, pease contact me:

Bob Paeth

whiskers16@comcast.net

503-665-3365

I know that there are members of this site that live well within traveling distance. With a little luck you might be able to meet some of them in person ( WOW )

Try to make it gang, I know you will enjoy the "ride "

Bob :lol: