Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting on the big models.

Hi Anthony, keep an eye out for kits that have been started on ebay or try something a bit smaller like 1/16 instead of 1/8, you'll find 1/16 kits are cheaper. Alternatively have a look at some of the scratch built stuff on here. Above all, enjoy yourself, try and make the most of the kits you can afford.

When I started building big scale kits, the very first one was the Monogram 1969 Camaro, in 1/12 scale.

Also in 1/12 scale, and still findable on eBay at many price ranges is my favorite large scale kit, the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sports Coupe.

This kit was released by Monogram in the 1980s, and re-released a few years ago by Revell. There is even a comemorative version to celebrate the '57 Chevrolet's 50th anniversary.

They are very simple to build, have no issues, and don't have a ton of parts like the newer 1/12 scale kits, so, they are a gret starting point.

On the 1/16 scale kits, AMT has a great kit of the 1956 Ford Thunderbird, also findable on eBay.

AMT also have a 1/16 scale 1964 Mustang, but the kit is not that good.

The $600 kits are over rated, if you're talking about Pochers. Many of them look like enlarged 1/18 Bburago diecast cars. Detail is soft or overdetailed in areas where it makes no sense (rotating crankshaft).

Check online auction sites. I see builtup big deuces all the time. I just got a second chance offer on a glue bomb Lotus 72D F1 car for $135. You'll also see lots of Corvettes, E-type Jaguars, and 1980s Camaros.

The $600 kits are over rated, if you're talking about Pochers. Many of them look like enlarged 1/18 Bburago diecast cars. Detail is soft or overdetailed in areas where it makes no sense (rotating crankshaft).

Only the "modern" Pochers (Porsche and Ferraris) would fit that description. Any of the Pocher "classics" are a completely different thing.

Model car swap meets are a good place to pick up older and semi built larger kits along with boxes/baggies of parts. Also yard sales and flee markets can be a good place. At yard sales if you do see what your looking for ask if they have any models....lots of times they can bring out a box or 2 cheep also!