Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT MOUNT 'N GOAT Jeep Commando

gasman

amt38555.jpg

first off, alittle history of the commando I found at www.jeep-commando.com

he Jeep Commando was manufactured between 1966 to 1973. From 1966 to 1971 the Jeep Commando had a front grille that resembled more like a CJ. In 1972, AMC changed the front of the jeep to look more like a passenger car. Sales fell and the Commando was discontinued after 1973. Because of the short time of production, the Jeep Commando is a rare, hard to find Jeep. A lot of people say the Jeep Commando looks a lot like the International Scout and the Ford Bronco.

In 1966, Jeep, then owned by Kaiser, launched the Jeepster Commando to compete with the Bronco and Land Cruiser. The Jeepster Commando was available only in three models: a convertible, pickup truck, and a wagon (like the Jeepster, this was a really cool looking vehicle in my opinion). The (Kaiser) Jeepster Commando stayed in production until 1969. In 1970 AMC bought Jeep from Kaiser, and then in 1972 AMC shortened the name to just Commando and changed the grill design to look more like that of a Bronco, but it didn't catch on. The Jeep Commando was taken out of production in 1973. Check out The American Jeepster Club for more on these cool Jeep spin-offs.

It's funny because a lot of jeeps have been brought back to life or are a concept vehicle now. I personally think the new jeep commander was brought back to replace the old commando. Sometimes you just can not replace what is lost.

Further information about the Commando:

The Jeepster Commando was initially produced by Kaiser Motors in 1966 to run up against with the Toyota Land Cruiser and Ford Bronco. It was pmanufactured in three different models which included: the pickup truck, convertible, and wagon. The Kaiser line remained in production until around 1969, until American Motors Corporation or (AMC) bought Kaiser out in 1970. From the time that AMC bought the jeepster line from Kaiser in 1970, the Jeepster Commando steadily grew in popularity everywhere. In 1972, AMC shortened the vehicle's name to simply "Commando" and changed the front end design to be similar with the Ford Bronco. The vehicle line, formerly an AMC best seller, quickly dropped in popularity and was taken out of production sometime in 1973. The Jeepster is an ancestor of the modern Jeep family produced by DaimlerChrysler.

There are several Jeepster clubs across the United States.

This is a private production kit through Stevens International, which is a good thing becouse its molded in white, not AMT's normal Gray, the is the first time this kit has been released in 20 years.

This kit represents the 1972-1973 version of the Commando, the last year for production. althought for some wierd reason the 1966-1971 front grill is included in the kit, even though it would require alot of scratchbuilding to get it to fit. The body is very nicely done, AMT did an fantastic job protecting the fragile window frame. they added some cardboard so that it would not get smashed, there are some small panel lines on the body, but they can be sanded of very easily. taped to the bag with the body is the glass, which is also very well protected. using bubble rap. it appears that the windows from the earlier issues with the full top are still on the tree for the glass. there are a few items that snuck there way into this kit from other issues.

This kit features the "rare" half cab for the Commando, most where available with full tops. you can also omit the top so that you can build a convertible. stock front and rear bumpers are included, and a plastic spare tire is still there from the back

This kits high point is the choices of wheels, I counted 4 different sets, 1 for the truck showed on the box, a set of steel wheels, stock hubcaps, and some good looking 70's vintage turbine style wheels. there are only two tire choices, the ones on the box and stock "Goodyear" tires, which appear to me like they need more rubber, i'm planning on using some American Satco Bridgestone Mud Dueler tires for a softcore offroad look,

The interior is pretty basic, but so is the 1:1, so there's not much to say about it

The motor in the kit I believe is the 304 in³ (5.0 L) AMC V8, there was an inline 6 available for it, but thats not whats in the kit. it pretty nice with good detail, has a really nicely detailed transfer case connected to the engine. everything on the chassis is seperate, which makes it nice and easy to modify like giving it a bigger lift.

This is one fastastic kit and i'm happy to see it reissued, since there are many 4X4 kits out there. this is appears to be a very good one and should be an enjoyable build, I just wish that the snow plow and full top was in this kit like there earlier versions

I got mine, and I think you did a great review, except that the engine is a Buick V-6. I can't remember if the Commando was available with the 304 V-8 or not. If it was, there are several kits it could be sourced from. Easiest to find is the old Jo-Han "pro-street" Rambler. I know the engine in it is supposed to be a 390, but all of the '67 and later AMC V-8s were the same externally.

I'm planning to use mine for a tow vehicle for a race car and trailer. The kit includes a nice trailer hitch with a chrome ball!

not sure if it would be correct for the application, but the AMT pacer wagon came with a very nicely done amc 258 6cyl with a torqueflite tranny. as i said, i'm not sure the jeep used the same 6 as the regular amc line; it might have been the tornado six, but there's an option for replica stock.

I started working on this kit, and decided there were enough parts in the kit, that with a little scratch building, I could back date the Jeep to an older model. I started a tutorial for this in my fotki album.

http://public.fotki.com/mrglubaum/current_...7-amc-jeepster/

Im000725-vi.jpg

I know it's not finished, but I figured there's enough there that someone else might get started if they want to. I'll add more as I go. I also plan to make a full top for it, since the back door and windows are in the kit. I can scratchbuild the rest from styrene sheet.

Thanks, Matt!

I was just test fitting this and that and things kinda fell together! I still need to add a strip of .010 styrene around the front of the new fender to match the sides. The front bumper in the kit appears to be the same as the '67, but I'll have to make a filler panel between the grille and bumper.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Although a nice kit, the engine is wrong. It is a hold over from the Kaiser Jeep and is a Buick V6. Kaiser called it a Dauntless V6. The AMC version with the Ford style front grille, used their 258 I6 and the 304 V8. Some V6 Commandos may have been made by AMC but I am not sure. The earlier style front end Kaiser version also had a Hurst version which was carried over to AMC. It was white and had a Rebel Machine style scoop on its hood.

• 3 years later...

I'm not positive, but wouldn't the engine out of the Revell-Monogram Jeep J-10 pickup(Pink Poison, Rancho, etc, etc) be correct?

I realize that it's 1/24th instead of 1/25th, but it could easily be shrunk some if deemed necessary by scraping block, head and various other surfaces down slightly.

I'm not positive, but wouldn't the engine out of the Revell-Monogram Jeep J-10 pickup(Pink Poison, Rancho, etc, etc) be correct?

I realize that it's 1/24th instead of 1/25th, but it could easily be shrunk some if deemed necessary by scraping block, head and various other surfaces down slightly.

Revell-Monogram's Jeep pickup is an old Revell tool, and I believe it was done in 1/25.

Art

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

The 1/25 MPC "Mount 'N Goat" Jeep Commando kit is scheduled for reissue in 2018 as MPC kit #887, presumably with this box art:

mtg.jpg

Here's the previous Stevens International reissue (and the kit the original post pertains to):

AMTMountNGoat.jpg

I wonder if they will restore the original stock wheels and tires...would rather see those than the oversized wheels and tires..

Me too, although I think the axles and wheels from one of the recent issues of the Jeep CJ-5 would work just fine. I hope they give us a choice of either half or full cab tops for this.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:46 PM, alexis said:

Anybody have photos of what was in the "Stevens International" kit?

Pretty much the same content as previous issues, save for the decals, which you can get a good look at on the Stevens' issue box art model.

Edited by Casey

I wonder if they will restore the original stock wheels and tires...would rather see those than the oversized wheels and tires..

The Stevens issue included stock wheel covers, as well as plain (no hub cap) rims and the wheel backs that go with them.  A smaller set of tires was included too.

Man, I want one of these. First the '72 Blazer, and now this. Wonder if it will have the Desert Dogs or the 'Firestones' (ex-Gates Commando) tires that were in the Blazer. At least we will get new decals. Maybe some blocked off parts too. Now to find some U.S. Forest Service Decals.