Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spastix Spray Paint

I was in a hobby shop in Christiansburg VA that had both the aerosols and air brush ready paints and didn't get much help from the folks at the counter other than their thoughts it was for R/C bodies. Has anyone used these paints on styrene models? What prep work did you do differently? Any examples?

Having used both, I can say Alclad has a slight advantage in shine, but the SpazStix is a bit easier to use (for those who don't want to use the airbrush). I shoot their Chrome over a Gloss Black base as well, and can vary the intensity of some of their 'flip' paints by shooting them over varying darknesses of undercoats. I haven't had any trouble with them when I use Dupli-Color primers (then again, that is pretty much about the only primer I use). I have had some of the 'hotter' flips burn through the Tamiya primers, so I stay with Dupli-Color.

I used the SpazStix on a lexan body and It has a great gloss and looks like chrome, but you paint the body from the inside, and everything is in reverse. Alclad for lexan worked the same. The Alclad made for styrene, did not adhere to the lexan, the Alclad for lexan, sprayed on styrene, made it craze. Have not used the SpazSiix on styrene, since I had the bad results with the lexan paint on styrene from before. As always, test on a similar type of plastic.

Edited by vypurr59