Model Cars Magazine Forum

This was wounderful to see in person and great to see you and your father this last weekend! Always a great time and yes I did take in every thing you was saying to do for the camaro and want to thank you a lot.

Thanks guys, yes the GSL was a good trip.

A while back I set the rear bodywork aside not realizing it was on an uneven surface. Unfortunately it picked up a bit more than just a mild warp. I tried to bend it back into shape and it looked like it might fix it.

So I added four more hard mounting points with screw in fasteners on the frame and also keyed the bodywork to fit snugly onto the frame and it did help, but did not cure all the issues and it still needed to be trued up.

I flexed the body until I broke some of the joints and then fastened it to the frame.

Next I made two vertical relief cuts in the lower rear sides of the fenders. The one on the left side was drawn in…

DSC02180_zps9ed79286.jpg

…and the one on the right was shimmed out until the rest of the bodywork was trued up. Even the trunk lid fit properly again.

DSC02179_zps5a57c41d.jpg

Additional brass and styrene bracing was bonded to the inside of the body to shore it up while it was still bolted to the frame. I also used laminating resin and three layers of fine fiberglass mat on the inside of the wheel wells for more rigidity and rebonded all the fractures I created by bending and flexing it.

DSC02182_zps4d409316.jpg

A brass “leading edge” was added for strength between the fenders. You can see some of the piecework sheet styrene and CA construction where I have sanded through the primer.

DSC02181_zps71d9afff.jpg

Now it is strong enough to continue with the surface work without being bolted to the frame.

DSC02178_zpsd6a966d6.jpg

Mark, after seeing this in person, it's hard to believe the craftsmanship that you have put into this, every piece is it's own work of art, just beautiful work! I can't wait to see it finished!

again, it was great to meet you and be able to see this in person!

Edited by vintagedragfan

Hi Mark, it was great to see you at the GSL and to see this great work in person, too. I hope to see it finished at the GSL 25 where it will be a tough one to beat...

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Thanks guys, it was nice to see you at the GSL too. Yeah Art, the fiberglass turned out to be a win-win with its inherent rigidity plus the texture looking more like what I also think should be there.

The basic exterior of the fuel tank is done and I added more parts to the frame for the mounts and made a pair of straps too. They will tighten up once the insulation is added. The screws will be replaced with bolts later.

DSC02183_zpsd4ea5fd8.jpg

DSC02184_zps448bc00d.jpg

This is the trunk inner liner. It is constructed of styrene and brass and fiberglassed for strength and appearance. The inside will be textured and finished later.

DSC02188_zpsff26edb5.jpg

The round section at the forward edge is a separate piece that snaps on. It is the only way to install it into the frame.

DSC02187_zpscf2b31fd.jpg

DSC02189_zps78e9321f.jpg

DSC02190_zpsf43c52e9.jpg

The rear body section is also coming together after reworking the warp out of it… The primer is glossy; those are reflections not discoloration from sanding.

DSC02191_zps32de1ae3.jpg

A side note, at this point it already weighs 11 ounces, that’s almost a ¾ pounder…

Mark -

I have a dumb question - when the trunk is done and body work is in place are you going to be able to get the tire in through the trunk opening or are you going to build the tire in or does it just not matter.

Edited by Pete J.

Mark, I just went through all 19 pages, and I knew it was gonna be a killer build, but I did not expect what you've done so far....absolutely spectacular work, I'm in awe! I'm waiting patiently for the next round of updates!