Model Cars Magazine Forum

new airbrush fun

JayVee

It's a 100-LGM. It has the medium tip and the large gravity feed cup. I'm thinking about getting a fine tip, too, but I don't know how it will work with acrylic lacquers like Tamiya. I got the medium tip because that's what Badger had listed for lacquers.

That's cool. Did you freehand those then? Or did you mask them?

Sorry for allt he questions. I'm impressed at teh work you did. I've not tried to do anything like that with my Badger 175. I've been thinking of adding an Iwata gravity feed to my arsenal for projects just like youve shown.

Chris

Those patterns were masked using Pactra thin pinstripe tape. I'm getting ready to try some freehand stuff next, but I think I want to get the fine tip for that. I also need to order Mike Lavallee's true fire video tutorial video. The main reason I bought this airbrush was to learn to paint true fire style paintjobs.

Just wanted to mention that I tried a lot of freehand painting today, and I just ordered the fine tip version because I can't get this medium tip to paint the fine spray pattern to do details the way I'd like. Part of it could be the rookie user, but I think the fine tip will be a better way to go.

Here's my first attempt at some freehand shading. The base is gunmetal, and the flames are bright aqua with purple pearl shading. My camera makes the purple highlights look like they're just a darker blue, but they really are purple! This was done with the medium tip. I now have the fine tip version which I'm practicing with, and I'm slowly getting the hang of finer detail shading. Next up is a '57 Chevy two tone with a much smaller tribal flame pattern.

Coupster1.jpg

Coupster2.jpg

Coupster3.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement guys. The template I used on the side is a Jimmy Flintstone design from Testors, and the hood is made from parts of the same pattern pieced together. I've been practicing with the airbrush a little each day over the past week or so. Still a long way to go, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Here's an early attempt at "true fire" (my first attempts looked more like "spew fire"). The hood in the top part of this pic has a decal I made for reference, and the hood on the bottom is painted. I need to make a smaller template and denser flames on my next try, but at least it looks like it will work:

JV_Fire1.jpg

Looks like you are doing the best your brush may be able to attain. What PSI are you shooting at?

I usually shoot 30 with my Badger 150 and I have not been able to do any better than what you show on the lower hood.

However, you can use a lot lower PSI and more detail if you have a nice gravity feed airbrush!

15 PSI is perfect for free handing true flames at 1/24th scale! I'd show you but I ruined the tip on my Tamiya gravity feed.... :cry: (I am sooo bummed)

Nice work on the flames and keep at it. With the 150, maybe lower the pressure to 25 psi and really thin out the paint. Then work slowly and build up the effect of flames freehand. (Clean the tip of the needle periodically as it acquires build up) You can also cut some generic templates for the "trough" and "tips" of the flames just for variety.

Oh,… and work dark to light.

Good Luck!

8)

Here's an early attempt at "true fire" (my first attempts looked more like "spew fire"). The hood in the top part of this pic has a decal I made for reference, and the hood on the bottom is painted. I need to make a smaller template and denser flames on my next try, but at least it looks like it will work:

JV_Fire1.jpg

i like this set of pics!!!!

I would really like to try my hand at those true flames!! i love that look!!!!!!

Awesome!!!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm shooting at 15 PSI, and I'm using a Badger 100-LG gravity feed internal mix airbrush with the fine tip. I'll keep at it and the shape and size of the licks should improve. I think this would be easier on a larger scale so I'm going to work on some larger flames until I get the hang of it. The walls of my office could use a brush-up...