Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you wish was available in large scale kits?

Anything that isn't somewhat iconic will never be released in 1/12 or 1/8. But that doesn't mean we can't dream on. I think the Europeans would be more receptive to kits in these scales of 1/16 and larger, since older large-scale kits are being re-released by Revell of Germany.

Full-detail 1/8 Dodge Daytona or Plymouth Superbird... Either or... I'm not that picky... :D ...with the option of building it stock or NASCAR (with appropriate NASCAR decals for an actual, real car that really ran in NASCAR).

Or... any 1/8 scale brass era or classic era car that has never been done at that scale. Again, nut fussy... it can be American or European, but it has to be 1930 or earlier. A stock 1/8 Model T would be cool...

I'll toss my hat into the ring :

1.) Newly-Tooled 1955-1957 Nomad .

Perhaps even a modified-reissue of the existing tooling of the old AMT 1/16 scale kits :

- New custom version tyres and wheels (those S/ST's and those nasty Good Year tyres from the original must go !)

- New custom engine upgrades (the turbo is dated !)

- A full compliment of decals

2.) 1970-1971 Barracuda .

- Offer both a hardtop and a convertible

- All 3 models ( "BH" Barracuda , "BP" Gran Coupe , and "BS" 'Cuda )

3.) 1971-1972 Demon

- 340 and big block options

Harry P. alluded to European subjects :

1.) Renault R5 Turbo

2.) BMW M6 (circa 1986-1988) Alpine

HArry mentioned the Brass era and later cars,,,STOCK!!!! not Hot Rods

Also I would love to see more AFFORDABLE 1/12th scale F1 cars. Its a long shot I know. I'd be happy with reissues...

Some of the Hiro transkits are absolutely astronomical in price.....Yikes :o

Cheers, Ian

I do but have not seen that issue as of yet. Thanks for the heads up !

Ray, the Brazilian company that's doing the 1/8 '67 Shelby GT500 may very well do a 1965-66 AC Cobra 427 in the future. At least they were taking requests for future modeling subjects, and I did put that in as a request. ;)

The 1/8 67 Shelby is definitely a must have for me!

Edit: Since they're on a Ford kick, I also asked if they could consider the 1955 or '57 T-Bird, and since the tooling is halfway there, a '68 Shelby GT500KR convertible.

Edited by MrObsessive

A 1/8 AC Cobra. I know, it ain't never going to happen.

I'll take mine in 1/12 please. If I was to tackle a 1/8 scale Cobra I would probably buy a lathe and mill and take serious metal shop classes at the JC!

Joe

So far the list of desired kits is as varied as the people on this forum. What I haven't seen is any mention of a writing campaign to the manufacturers to express the need for new subject matter in large scale(s). Without any input from us modelers stating our wants in subject matter this thread is nothing more than wishful thinking. Unless we tell the manufacturers what we want they will continue to think that their marketing information is correct in assuming that all is well.

Of course there is the financial aspect of tooling up any new kit these days and I hate to say this but large scale kits do not sell as well as the regular (1/25) scale market does, so it is a very hard sell to convince the manufacturers to any new subjects in larger scales. Price of a large scale kit is getting prohibitive as well no matter what kind of car it may be. Hope is still out there for us modelers though, if anyone has noticed, there has been an ever increasing interest in making larger kits in other model venues such as aircraft/military models and some sci-fi. The manufacturers know that most active modeling enthusiasts are getting older and our eyes are following that trend.

The best bet at the moment is to get them to re-release some of the existing tooled kits with some new parts. Even then, the sales will have to be strong in order to convince them to continue on with the possibility of a newly tooled kit. In my honest opinion, we should center on an existing kit series that has seen great success and that is the 32 Ford from Revell. If that kit was tooled in 1/16th it would sell very well and with that said I hope cynacism doesn't squash the thought I have placed forth here on the forum.

So, who wants to start an effort to influence the manufacturers to listen to us large scale modelers? Not a one time email or letter, but an ongoing barrage of shouts until we are heard.

1/12 scale `70 -`72 Chevelle, Olds 442, Buick GSX, or Super Duty Trans Am (lots of options if combined with the Corvette and Camaro kits)

1/12 Hemi or AAR Cuda, `70 Challenger T/A

1/12 69 Mustang, or maybe a `67 with optional "Elaenor" parts?

1/12 `63 corvette, maybe converted from the `67 kit with small block parts from the Camaro kit?

1/8 Trans Am re-release!

Above converted into a `77-`78 Trans Am, or a `77-`81 Z28

It would be cool if Revell would modify their 1/16 Firebird GTA into a third gen Firehawk, and the 1/16 IROC-Z into a `91-`92 Z28

Would also be cool if they would convert the 1/8 IROC kit into a GTA or Firehawk, or maybe even a formula?

Any 4th gen f-body, especially a Camaro SS, Trans Am WS-6 or firehawk, in say 1/12?

Large scale 2014 Corvette!

1/12 Revell `57 Chevy kit converted to a `56 or `55

ACCURATE large scale Ferrari 288 GTO

i second that!

So far the list of desired kits is as varied as the people on this forum. What I haven't seen is any mention of a writing campaign to the manufacturers to express the need for new subject matter in large scale(s). Without any input from us modelers stating our wants in subject matter this thread is nothing more than wishful thinking. Unless we tell the manufacturers what we want they will continue to think that their marketing information is correct in assuming that all is well.

Of course there is the financial aspect of tooling up any new kit these days and I hate to say this but large scale kits do not sell as well as the regular (1/25) scale market does, so it is a very hard sell to convince the manufacturers to any new subjects in larger scales. Price of a large scale kit is getting prohibitive as well no matter what kind of car it may be. Hope is still out there for us modelers though, if anyone has noticed, there has been an ever increasing interest in making larger kits in other model venues such as aircraft/military models and some sci-fi. The manufacturers know that most active modeling enthusiasts are getting older and our eyes are following that trend.

The best bet at the moment is to get them to re-release some of the existing tooled kits with some new parts. Even then, the sales will have to be strong in order to convince them to continue on with the possibility of a newly tooled kit. In my honest opinion, we should center on an existing kit series that has seen great success and that is the 32 Ford from Revell. If that kit was tooled in 1/16th it would sell very well and with that said I hope cynacism doesn't squash the thought I have placed forth here on the forum.

So, who wants to start an effort to influence the manufacturers to listen to us large scale modelers? Not a one time email or letter, but an ongoing barrage of shouts until we are heard.

Extremely well said, sir. I couldn't agree more.

I am hoping that the new Foose Camaro opens some eyes. It appears to be selling briskly on ebay, and prices haven't seemed to have fallen much, generally speaking.

I read on this forum that a big shot at Revell said in an interview that Revell would probably not pursue an large scale kits in the future after the release of the 2010 Mustang. It is saddening and disappointing to hear such news, and it is even more disappointing because they may be basing it on that Mustang. I understand that Ford was behind that project, but honestly, if Revell had given us a new Tamiya style kit, with extremely high detail and perfect fit, one of the 1964 through 1970 Mustangs, I think that they would have had a grand slam home run on their hands.

While price of a kit is important to me, I tend to believe that for the average builder, price is not a huge factor, especially if they could have a high quality new kit. Look at the new Tamiya Corsair in 1/32 and the new HK B-17 that is selling for $300. Both appear, to me, that they are selling very well. I know it is a different genre, but what would the average builder pay for a new kit in large scale, given the opportunity?

I also believe that the model companies will someday realize that the next new market is in larger scale. Sure, there are still hundreds of subjects left that need to be kitted, but sometimes, when I look at the new release list, it seems that they are going to someday run out of 1/24th kit subjects.

Edited by clovis

Impossible. Not as long as new cars keep coming out.

Yes, you are right. I meant to imply that the model companies are eventually going to run out of subjects that would sell well in 1/24. Does that make any sense?

Extremely well said, sir. I couldn't agree more.

I am hoping that the new Foose Camaro opens some eyes. It appears to be selling briskly on ebay, and prices haven't seemed to have fallen much, generally speaking.

I read on this forum that a big shot at Revell said in an interview that Revell would probably not pursue an large scale kits in the future after the release of the 2010 Mustang. It is saddening and disappointing to hear such news, and it is even more disappointing because they may be basing it on that Mustang. I understand that Ford was behind that project, but honestly, if Revell had given us a new Tamiya style kit, with extremely high detail and perfect fit, one of the 1964 through 1970 Mustangs, I think that they would have had a grand slam home run on their hands.

While price of a kit is important to me, I tend to believe that for the average builder, price is not a huge factor, especially if they could have a high quality new kit. Look at the new Tamiya Corsair in 1/32 and the new HK B-17 that is selling for $300. Both appear, to me, that they are selling very well. I know it is a different genre, but what would the average builder pay for a new kit in large scale, given the opportunity?

I also believe that the model companies will someday realize that the next new market is in larger scale. Sure, there are still hundreds of subjects left that need to be kitted, but sometimes, when I look at the new release list, it seems that they are going to someday run out of 1/24th kit subjects.

Admittedly, I`m not that familiar with the entire process of bringing a new subject to the market. But I am wondering if there is some way that we can get involved to help bring these ideas to reality. I mean, I would gladly give some of my time if I knew it was working toward getting some new kits on the shelves. I have access to some of the cars on my list in my previous post. I will gladly take as many pictures and make as many measurements as needed if a manufacturer was going to bring the subject to market.

Also, from my understanding, all subjects start off as 1/12 kits anyway, to make sure proportions are correct and convincing. Am I correct in this? If so, does that mean a 1/12 kit of every subject already exists?

David - I've had some input with Ed Sexton at Revell with some of the 1/16th drag racing subjects in the past 10 years and had many conversations with him as well. I do know that any new tool can cost in the 6-figure category no matter what scale. So, that means there has to be a positive return on investment. Model companies do produce a dog kit once in a while, but can't afford to do so in this economy. That is why we see so many re-issues. Tried and true sellers help their bottom line as they go forward with any new tooling.

Jeff - you mentioned the 1/32 Tamiya Corsair kit and there are many other aircraft kits that have been released in the past 5 years that have so much more detail than has been seen previously, not to mention that most of these new kits are all in 1/32nd scale. Airplanes in 1/32nd scale are large kits. The 1/12th scale Camaro kit is great example of how a re-issue with new parts would be a great place to start. I would agree with you that if the 1/12th Mustang kit would have been vintage fast back version it would have been a better seller. Overall, the most subject matter exists in 1/16th, then 1/12th and finally 1/8th so with that in mind I generally discuss 1/16th scale with Ed Sexton.

As for anyone who would want to pursue the effort to send info to the manufacturers about producing new large scale subject matter it will be a long process that may appear to have little if no result. I remember the first time I met Ed Sexton and began down that road trying to bend his ear. I felt like my requests fell on deaf ears for a long time, but continued to be congenial whenever we would meet/talk and now he contacts me for some questions concerning those drag race cars that Revell did back in the early-mid seventies. I continue to push him towards doing something new in that series, either a new body for the existing kit tooling or an entirely new tool. I'm still waiting, but he does listen. I had real input with the new tires and wheels when Revell re-released the 1/16th Hawaiian FC kit recently, sending him some of my resin products for review.

There are both GM and Ford products in 1/12 scale (though there could always be more!), but I'd really like to see a MOPAR product in 1/12 scale, such as a version of the new Cuda that Revell put out recently.

To expand on this, they could create several different kits with the Cuda with minimal tooling changes (preferably a 1971 model).

-3n1 AAR Cuda with the option of the actual Trans Am racer, as well as the parts to make a stock 318 Barracuda.

-2n1 440 Convertible Cuda with some custom, more modern parts

-3n1 426 Cuda in stock, street, and drag flavors similar to the Camaro and Corvette kits.

Three kits that are different but use a lot of the same tooling and would allow for so many build options.

David - I've had some input with Ed Sexton at Revell with some of the 1/16th drag racing subjects in the past 10 years and had many conversations with him as well. I do know that any new tool can cost in the 6-figure category no matter what scale. So, that means there has to be a positive return on investment. Model companies do produce a dog kit once in a while, but can't afford to do so in this economy. That is why we see so many re-issues. Tried and true sellers help their bottom line as they go forward with any new tooling.

Jeff - you mentioned the 1/32 Tamiya Corsair kit and there are many other aircraft kits that have been released in the past 5 years that have so much more detail than has been seen previously, not to mention that most of these new kits are all in 1/32nd scale. Airplanes in 1/32nd scale are large kits. The 1/12th scale Camaro kit is great example of how a re-issue with new parts would be a great place to start. I would agree with you that if the 1/12th Mustang kit would have been vintage fast back version it would have been a better seller. Overall, the most subject matter exists in 1/16th, then 1/12th and finally 1/8th so with that in mind I generally discuss 1/16th scale with Ed Sexton.

As for anyone who would want to pursue the effort to send info to the manufacturers about producing new large scale subject matter it will be a long process that may appear to have little if no result. I remember the first time I met Ed Sexton and began down that road trying to bend his ear. I felt like my requests fell on deaf ears for a long time, but continued to be congenial whenever we would meet/talk and now he contacts me for some questions concerning those drag race cars that Revell did back in the early-mid seventies. I continue to push him towards doing something new in that series, either a new body for the existing kit tooling or an entirely new tool. I'm still waiting, but he does listen. I had real input with the new tires and wheels when Revell re-released the 1/16th Hawaiian FC kit recently, sending him some of my resin products for review.

Wow, thank you for a great post and for the outstanding input.

I'd love to know the cost difference of new tooling for a large scale versus a 1/24 scale model. Is the tooling and engineering the same cost for both sizes, or does one cost more than the other?

I am certain that the production costs are much higher on large scale. Not only do the manufacturers have more raw material in the product, they also have to have a large box. Most people don't realize how much the boxes cost the manufacturer. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the box for a 1/24 model re-release doesn't cost as much as the plastic inside. Boxes can be outrageously expensive. I haven't priced boxes in a long time, but I was SHOCKED the last time that I did.

They also have higher costs on large scale kits for shipping boxes, and the shipping costs from China are going to be higher too.

My guess is that the profit margins are much better on large scale kits, but only if they sell well.

Nonetheless, Mark, keep pushing. I'd love to see some new kits. I'd just love to see some re-issues with new tooling!