Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelers glue to recommend

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if there was a glue out there to use on the whole car and windshields and headlight plastic that drys clear.i used the good old testors moders cement and made a mess of the windshield and headlights.Now I'm mad.Take care,sparkyd31 :evil:

For gluing clear plastics you must use a water-based white glue, such as Elmer's or Krystal Klear , found in hobby shops. You can also use 5-minute epoxy which dries clear. In either case, apply the glue sparingly. I usually apply it with a toothpick or very small, thin brush. I also use white glue to apply photoetched pieces. In the 10 years that I've used photoetched parts, I've never had any piece fall off.

If you do slop the white glue somewhere on the model where you don't want it to be, simply dampen a Q-Tip and wipe it off.

yep the future floor wax trick works well for headlight lens and stuff like that; also for photoetch stuff.

and one of the BEST uses for it (future floor wax that is) is to protect a windshield from fogging if you want to superglue it in. coat in in future and let it dry and superglue wont fog it at all.

works great for hiding scratches in clear plastic too.

also for clear coating decals.

future floor wax: a miracle in a bottle

but to more directly answer the question, there is no glue that works best in all situations. i use mostly zap a gap superglue but also tenax liquid cement, white glue of stuff that doesnt have to be mounted super well but dont want the glue to show on, regular tube glue to weld plastic together and 5 minute epoxy. currently im leaning heavily toward the latter esp if i need a good bond that wont break apart with handling.