Model Cars Magazine Forum

My take on Revell's '57 Ford

Several years ago, I acquired a built-up Revell '57 Ford Ranchero . I blew it apart with the intent of rebuilding it. I also acquired one of the "chopped" Rancheros, which I was going to use with it for additional parts. However, in looking at it, the kits had too mant "foibles" for me to deal with, especially the too short doors from a 4-door, and multi-pice body construction. So when Revell issued the new, updated '57 Ford kit, which by the way is very nice, I knew what I had to do.

I found several pictures of one-to-one '57 Rancheros from various sources around the web to get an idea of what I had to do, and here's where I am so far.

DSCF3389.jpg

I used parts from the old Revell Ranchero kits, primarily the bed, tailgate, and tonneau cover, and melded them into the "new tool" kit. I also made new panels from sheet styrene to complete the conversion.

DSCF3391.jpg

DSCF3392.jpg

I also did a custom "Tuck and Roll" interior trim for the doors and bench seat, which will be two-toned.

DSCF3393.jpg

The hardest part of the conversion is the area around the rear of the bed and the tailgate.

I have to re-work the rear window mouldings, prime it, and tighten up the bodywork at this point. This build is not going to be a dead nuts "replica stock", but it is going to be a "mild custom". I am also going to leave the trim on the body. I know that this particular chrome trim was not available from the factory on the Ranchero, but I like the way it looks, and I am going to use it for the two-tone paint break.

I wanted to put some primer on it today, but it was too humid.

The Ranchero came with 2 trim levels. No side trim and trim of the Custom 300.

It is very likely some one took the Custom trim and applied it to a base Ranchero.

Many 59's were upgraded with Fairlane500 inserts, so this trim on a Ranchero IS possible!!!

I like this too.

If I can get a few of the new kit, and more of the Old 'Squire based Ranchero's I may try this too.

I have fixed the rear window mouldings, and fixed the bed fitment issuues.

mamameeting1192013041.jpg

mamameeting1192013060.jpg

Everything fits as it should, so the next step is to prime the parts where I did the bodywork to check for any issues. I have also decided on the powertrain, A 312 with 2 4 bbl carbs, under the finned aluminum air cleaner from the AMT '62 Thunderbird. I have to go to the parts box for a set of Finned Y block Valve Covers to complete the engine so that I can paint and detail it. Hopefully by this time next week, I can have some greater progress on this one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made a few changes to the '57 Ranchero.

MamaMeetingApril272013026_zpsa26558af.jp

MamaMeetingApril272013023_zps2ef5b947.jp

I re-did the side moulding and the rear window and pickup bed mouldings to represent the Ranchero Custom Model.

Also, I added the upper mouldings and I am going to add the gold anodized insert. Now, it's time for paint.