Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just curious but when you make something like that are you able to start and finish with the same one you started with or are there a few that end up in the trash before you are finally satisfied? I am always amazed at your builds. I have been building a little over a year and can see alot of progress with my scratch building and I have always wondered about the results of the more experienced builders. Hope the question isn't out of line.

sorry for the delay in responding. i cannot sign in here (or photobucket) from my home computer for some reason. so, all responses have to wait until i can get to them from work.

first thanks guys i appreciate the repsonses.

scott, absolutely not out of line to ask. on this particular piece, i made it on the first shot BUT, getting it on the first shot comes with a price tag. i probably spent more time doing the dimensioned drawings than actually making the trans. doing drawings does 2 things:

first, you have a set of dimesnions to follow. like instuctions in a kit model.

second, while you are doing the drawings it gives you the chance to go through, in your head, the process you want to follow for machining and assembling. kind of, the measure twice, cut once phylosophy.

does making a drawing guarentee success the first time out?......no, but, i can assure you it will cut down on the number of times you will make a mistake and have to trash your work piece.

here are a couple more.

002_zpsf3caa86b.jpg

004_zpsd6d4d220.jpg

Edited by comp1839

Thank you for your answer Dave. It's very much appreciated!! I guess I need to take some advise from your post and see if I can start to do some measurements or drawings to help the process along a little better. Thank you!!