Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '64 Chevy Pickups

Tom I really like that

Tom, You're "Pinch Waist Chevrolet needs a special award on account of where the rusted panels . Seriously , In the years I have had to work on these trucks , seldom do I see someone who has ever taken the time to do enough research and put the damage where it belongs . You seem to have taken an actual truck from this era and studied it , CAREFULLY .

Thanks guys! Ed, yes I do research my rust and damage... with a passion! It drives me nuts when I see model beaters with rust in places no vehicle would ever rust, while the real rust out areas are left pristine!

• 3 years later...

I would love to pick one of these kits up. I have seen a street machine version and think the truck was purple on the cover. I am assuming these are out of production??

The 2004 California Wheels '64 Fleetside 2'n1 kit was the only time the large diameter Torq Thrust style wheels appeared together with the Fleetside bed. Granted, those wheels and tires have been included with the '65 Stepside ever since, but we all know the Fleetside bed looks way better. ^_^ I wish Revell had released the '66 with these wheels and tires, but this is still one of Revell-Monogram's better efforts from the early '00s. Lots of test fitting and use of a slow-setting adhesive is required to get the three-piece hood properly assembled, then aligned with the nose of the truck, but the overall look is there.

The inside bed simplification has been an issue for, well, forever when it comes to pickup beds. Maybe we should just be glad the forward bed wall isn't molded into the rear cab wall. :D

Edited by Casey

The box art shows the 1965 grille, which makes me think this kit was reissued this way after the Stepside came out, ergo where the wheels came from - rather than the other way around.  Does it have the correct (non Chevrolet engraved) grille in there, or have they already sold this as a 1966 without the correct fender badges? :blink::lol:

The box art shows the 1965 grille, which makes me think this kit was reissued this way after the Stepside came out, ergo where the wheels came from - rather than the other way around.  Does it have the correct (non Chevrolet engraved) grille in there, or have they already sold this as a 1966 without the correct fender badges? :blink::lol:

It has the lettered grille, as shown on the box art truck. This one was from 2004, and the Torq Thrust wheels seem to have appeared next in 2009 when the (still current) '65 Stepside was issued under the "TRUCKS" label. The earlier two versions of the '65 (molded in red, then the combo kit with the Hemi Hydro) still have the steel wheels and baby moons from what I can tell. Really, they are all pretty good, but I sought the CA Wheels version out for the wheel/tire and Fleetside bed combo.

That's my one issue with this kit- something about the grille looks off. It just looks a little 'chunky' to my eye when compared to the 1:1.

I agree, the grill is a little too bulky. Compare the Revell grille to the Danbury MInt '66 or similar knock offs. Real life 1:1 headlights are not directly below turn signals, they are out wider.

Edited by leafsprings

• 4 years later...