Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Western Star colour info needed

Hi Guys,

I've chosen the AMT White Western Star for my first ever truck build (done a few planes in the past).

post-10571-0-71235800-1350610773_thumb.j

I'm not really familiar with trucks and engines makes/models etc, although they fascinate me now and I can't get enough of them.

I've started the build and doing the engine (don't even know if it's Detroit or Cummins - they don't say), they say to paint main engine block tan or beige, can somebody point me to some reference photo's for a 1970's vintage Western Star with this engine. I just want to see what sort of "tan or beige" they are talking about.

Also any other info on this model would be appreciated, I have googled but can't really find much info on these older trucks.

Thanks very much

Steve

I believe that kit has the same engine as the Diamond Reo, Road Boss, and Autocar trucks which is a Cummins NTA-370. Most people use Tamiya Deck Tan for the color but regular Testors Light Tan is close too. Here is a pic of the color.

2356188280041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

The engine in the WS kit is the same as the DR and road boss. It's a Cummins small cam NTC 350. Tan (really beige) is correct the colors Fat Brian mentioned are good. I don't know about your part of the world but here in the US a lot of the chain auto parts stores carry Cummins beige in spray cans as well as other engine colors. The 4b Cummins Fat Brian posted a pic of is the correct color your looking for.

There seems to be many options for Cummins beige. Just a side note Peterbilt and Kenworth prior to about 1980 all engines installed were painted white. International prior to the mid 80s all engines were red and Ford prior to the early 80s were blue. Everybody else seemed to go with engine manufactuers colors. The milatary section of model paints is a good place to look for a match.