Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 '69 Camaro Z/28 (New Foose Kit) BMF Done 6/2

ImpalaBoy

Here is a quick pic if mine. Color is close to same. I can not wait to see how awesome yours comes out!

Wow!! That looks fantastic! I can't wait to see how yours comes out, either! I almost chose a darker yellow like that; more like the shade used on the 2010 Camaro, but I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with the original 1969 color. Kind of funny that we're both building yellow Camaros at the same time, since before now, I had never seen one of these done in yellow. Where did you get your paint, and what is the shade called?

Edited by ImpalaBoy

Wow!! That looks fantastic! I can't wait to see how yours comes out, either! I almost chose a darker yellow like that; more like the shade used on the 2010 Camaro, but I changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with the original 1969 color. Kind of funny that we're both building yellow Camaros at the same time, since before now, I had never seen one of these done in yellow. Where did you get your paint, and what is the shade called?

I do most of my purchases at Hobby Lobby now since its close to the house. Thats where I got the paint. The paint is Model Masters Pearl Yellow #2978.

I actually bought 2 of these Camaro kits from H.L. One to build like I am with the big motor and the horribly ugly Foose wheels and one nice and stock looking. You have inspired me to spend much more time and care on the next one I build. This one I got pretty excited and kind of rushed a bit. I will post a pic later for you .... I am a little further along now.

I couldn't for the life of me get the decals to lay flat on the hood even with Micro Set and Micro Sol, so I'm thinking of a compromise. If I mask and paint the stripes on the front but use the decals on the back, after a couple coats of clear, do you out there think there will be any noticeable difference? I would think that since they have the expanse of the roof between them, even if there was a slight difference, it would be difficult to compare them anyway. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input.

I couldn't for the life of me get the decals to lay flat on the hood even with Micro Set and Micro Sol, so I'm thinking of a compromise. If I mask and paint the stripes on the front but use the decals on the back, after a couple coats of clear, do you out there think there will be any noticeable difference? I would think that since they have the expanse of the roof between them, even if there was a slight difference, it would be difficult to compare them anyway. I would greatly appreciate anybody's input.

Not sure if it is too late, or if you can get your hands on another set of decals, but if you place the decal on the hood, before it sets you can try taking a very hot wet towel and use pressure on the decal for a few minutes. It should stretch and conform to the hood.

I haven't made my decision about the rear stripes, but I was able to do the front in the meantime. The decals were a definite no-go, so I reluctantly masked off the stripes, praying that I would do a better job than last time. They're not completely perfect, but they're about as perfect as I could ever hope to get them! I used Tamiya TS-29 semi-gloss black because I've noticed that I tend to have better luck getting flat or matte colors to lay down smoother than gloss colors. Plus, it'll get probably another 2 coats of clear over it. I've heard good things about Rustoleum automotive lacquer clear coat, product #253366.

post-11411-0-32609300-1398640153_thumb.j

post-11411-0-90792200-1398640175_thumb.j

Edited by ImpalaBoy

I haven't made my decision about the rear stripes, but I was able to do the front in the meantime. The decals were a definite no-go, so I reluctantly masked off the stripes, praying that I would do a better job than last time. They're not completely perfect, but they're about as perfect as I could ever hope to get them! I used Tamiya TS-29 semi-gloss black because I've noticed that I tend to have better luck getting flat or matte colors to lay down smoother than gloss colors. Plus, it'll get probably another 2 coats of clear over it. I've heard good things about Rustoleum automotive lacquer clear coat, product #253366.

:o

Those look fantastic!! What kind of tape did you use?

Thanks guys! I couldn't be more pleased with how they came out. Hawk, I used good old Tamiya tape. I've never used any other kind, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best thing out there. What did you use for all of yours? They all came out just as good or better!

Thanks guys! I couldn't be more pleased with how they came out. Hawk, I used good old Tamiya tape. I've never used any other kind, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best thing out there. What did you use for all of yours? They all came out just as good or better!

I am stuck with the blue 3M tape, which works ok for me, but you really need to make sure it is burnished down good. I agree Tamiya is much better, but it is a little hard to come by in my area and with my schedule.

Thank you so much everyone! I hate to keep people in suspense, but I got sidetracked today with an old cuckoo clock my grandmother gave me. Tinkering with clocks is sort of another hobby of mine, along with playing the trumpet and arranging music. So if I'm not working on a model, there's a good chance I'll be doing any of those things. I might have time to do the rear stripes tomorrow, but I won't make any promises.