Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Pro Shop '57 Chevy Bel Air

ImpalaBoy

Bill, I was shocked when I bought one of this kit, it is beautifully done to say the least! The only issue I've ever had with this kit is the trunk lid...it has a bow in it, which causes it to be raised at the center where it meets the tulip panel. It's not an issue if you build it with the trunk displayed open, which is always an option with this kit. There's also a Street Machine version (Blue model on the box) which comes with a mini-tubbed chassis, some different parts for the engine, rims, slicks, different frame & exhaust, fuel cell, and a quasi-four link rear end. Both are hidden gems that didn't sell very well, probably due to the fact that most people didn't know it was an all-new tooling.

The trunk lid on mine had the problem you described, but nothing holding it over a candle and a bit of sanding can't fix!

I've built two of this kit (This one and the Street machine), and both had the same problem, so i figured it was on all of 'em!. Nice to know I can use a bit of heat to get it to sit right. especially since they're painted!

Even after you straighten it out with some heat, it will still need to be sanded since the trunk lid is also much thicker than the rest of the body. I hope it wouldn't be too hard to repaint if you decide to fix it.

Thanks for the tip! The stock version will be easy to fix, the hood and trunk need to be re-painted anyhow (Model Master '50's Pink is hard to match!), the Street Machine will not get fixed, I forgot what color I used on it!

Edited by Custom Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I still have a bit of detailing and touch-ups to do (particularly the floor mats, where I had to scrape off some slovenly laid flocking), but here's the interior, for the most part. Sorry it's been so long since my last update. I'd have to say it's the nicest looking interior I've done so far, although my '58 Impala might want to argue on that point. All the piping is BMF, but the window cranks and such are painted chrome silver. As I said before, this was my first time flocking, and I thought it came out pretty good. However, if I'd realized how little of the carpet shows once everything is together, I honestly wouldn't have bothered. Oh well, good practice anyway, and there's still plenty left for future cars! I debated putting a dull coat on the "vinyl," but it's less shiny in person and I think the satin sheen it has is pretty convincing. Let me know what you guys think!

post-11411-0-12626700-1379471553_thumb.j

post-11411-0-03959800-1379471590_thumb.j

I've always been a fan of the original AMT '57 but when the Pro Series was released I had to have one (I now have 3). I was impressed with the opening trunk and the the headliner engraving. I have yet to build one. Great to see yours as inspiration. Your engine and interior are spot on. Also love the colors on yours. Nice work so far.

She's finally on 4 wheels! Here's a quick mockup to check the fit of chassis, interior, and body. Everything goes together great and the stance looks just right! (Let's hope it stays that way once the rest of the pieces are in there). Still a lot to do, but she's getting there :)

post-11411-0-22338400-1380231283_thumb.j

post-11411-0-37292400-1380231312_thumb.j

post-11411-0-18393000-1380231351_thumb.j

post-11411-0-55967600-1380231390_thumb.j