Model Cars Magazine Forum

After a slight hiatus... starting the Honda RC166 Tamiya motorcycle

Sadly, for anyone following this post, I completely screwed the pooch on this kit and decided to scrap it. My advice if you're going to build this - invest the extra money in Tamiya's front fork kit. The forks on this were a mess - weak, poorly constructed (which was a surprise for a Tamiya kit), and in the process of having to correct a minor mistake that I made, they snapped off and the front end was an irreparable mess.
I see that Tamiya is releasing a full view version of this same kit. I may take another crack at it. I learned enough from my first pass at it to know how to build it right next time. My main piece of advice - wherever possible, attach the hoses and wires in advance. Trying to attach hoses to tight spaces caused a lot of the problems that led to me giving up on this.

You could buy another kit, and use this one to display the engine and pipes separately as well as the fairing. Just a thought, You have done an excellent job so far, but sometimes things just go off the rails.

• 2 years later...