Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 and 1/24 scale question [possibly stupid...]

So, after looking at all the trucks and trailers available, I'm wondering how much a difference there is between the two scales? By that I mean if you put a 1/24th trailer behind a 1/25th rig, does it 'look right'?

I know it seems like a silly question, but as I don't have any 'samples' to look at, I don't have a frame of reference.

also, sorry if this has been discussed before, I'm reading all I can.....

Tom, usually on the large trucks , it won't be as noticeable . I usually see differences on say width of a passenger car or perhaps a wheel base difference . Even then, on some models , the difference is negligible . Sometimes , say an Arii 1958 Cadillac , uh the difference is huge

1/24 = 2 feet, per inch of scale

1/25 = 2 feet 1 inch, per inch of scale

So a trailer 40 feet will be

1/24 = 40 x 12 = 480 inches / divided by 24 = 20.00 inches.

1/25 = 40 x 12 = 480 inches / divided by 25 = 19.20 inches.

Does it look right to be smaller or larger, a question for the rivet counters and perfectionists.

1/24 = 2 feet, per inch of scale

1/25 = 2 feet 1 inch, per inch of scale

So a trailer 40 feet will be

1/24 = 40 x 12 = 480 inches / divided by 24 = 20.00 inches.

1/25 = 40 x 12 = 480 inches / divided by 25 = 19.20 inches.

Does it look right to be smaller or larger, a question for the rivet counters and perfectionists.

Very good, a slightly easier way to measure for modeling in the 2 scales are:

1/24 -- 1/2" = 1'

1/25 -- 1" = 1 mm

my 2 pennies

As far as tractor trailers go, some don't mind the width difference as it is not by much. But if you are picky on this as I can be, you'll see the 1:24th scale tractor's rear wheels poke out slightly from under the 1:25th scale trailer. Another thing, the tractor's wheels won't be the same size as the trailer's unless you swap the trailer wheels for the bigger 1:24th scale one's. But then again, that won't matter much as there are all sizes

(19.5 to 24 inch rim diameter)of wheels with different sidewall heights on trailers.

Edited by BigBad

thanks for the replies everyone, biggest reason I was wondering is all the kits I have so far are 1/25 [rigs and trailers], but I saw a few 1/24th trailers I liked the look of. also being the genius that I am, never considered the actual math to figure it out :P .

thanks again all.