Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 scratch built rigs

Thanks. And I am an IPMS member and those guys do know how to judge any model. My argument was that they simply need to expand their categories but until more heavy commercial builders enter that won't happen I fear. And that is a shame because there are some awesome commercial builders out there in the modeling community.

By the way I will be entering it in the Cookeville show since this model the Crane Carrier drill rig has not been entered into the Cookeville TN show in March.

Edited by skysoldier46

Thanks. And I am an IPMS member and those guys do know how to judge any model. My argument was that they simply need to expand their categories but until more heavy commercial builders enter that won't happen I fear. And that is a shame because there are some awesome commercial builders out there in the modeling community.

By the way I will be entering it in the Cookeville show since this model the Crane Carrier drill rig has not been entered into the Cookeville TN show in March.

i hear you.......it would be great to see all shows have a heavy commercial class along with all the others.............most of them up this way do. i guess it comes down to participation in the categories whether they have a commercial class or not. if the class on average is not filled with entries then the club has to decide whether it is in the budget to have awards that they might not hand out. i went to a show last year that had 22 entries for heavy commercial, we went this year and there was two.......both mine. i build to compete so it's great to see the commercial class well attended......helps me build each model better than the last, without the competition i find myself saying "well it's good enough" way to early in the build stage.

i have been invited to the cookeville show, we might come down next year. it's a 9hr drive for us one way. it would be great to see your work and meet you in person.

that would be great to meet another member from this site. Hope you can make it. Cookeville is a pretty good show, at least from the last 5 years that I've been to it. Lot's of vendors and models. I wanted to get a vendors table myself and sell off quite a few models I'll never build like tanks and planes. But they were already sold out unless a vendor drops out and then I will be vendoring. and enetering that Crane rig.

Oh and I also just cannot find myself doing a really nice paint job. I like dirt. :D

Edited by skysoldier46

that would be great to meet another member from this site. Hope you can make it. Cookeville is a pretty good show, at least from the last 5 years that I've been to it. Lot's of vendors and models. I wanted to get a vendors table myself and sell off quite a few models I'll never build like tanks and planes. But they were already sold out unless a vendor drops out and then I will be vendoring. and enetering that Crane rig.

Oh and I also just cannot find myself doing a really nice paint job. I like dirt. :D

i might be interested in some of your models if you're looking to get rid of them. i will message you about that. you like dirt and i like clean......we will have both ends of the spectrum covered. lol.

My two-bits worth on shows and why you don't pick up some wins. After staring at your pics and comparing to the logging truck here by way of comparing to another model (not necessarily a winning model just something else). Both models are detailed and weathered much the same as far as the back ends go but both seem a little weak in the cab area. Your detailing of the mirrors and wiper (as an example) seems a little weak compared to what you have done to the rig and piping etc. Maybe put a little less crud on the forward part of the vehicle especially the windows? Just my completely subjective thoughts.

Anyway, really great modeling and good luck in the future.

well crud was crud and this rig was cruddy. they had just washed it when I took the pic you see but the before pics I took it was a mess front to rear. well drilling thru limestone is very dirty and dusty and that is what I portrayed. Appreciate the comment but as said before only 2 or 3 of us enter heavy commercial in that show and until more do enter heavy rigs just aren't going to compete with tanks, planes and NASCAR that well.