Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

The frame behind the cab was two inches wider from 73-up and the wheelbase was also 2" longer, made up by adding to the cab length not the box like some guys think. They also added 2" to each side of the rear axle to finally get the rear track to match the front. That wider axle is also a popular swap, to get the wheels out further in the back. Ford actually did run that cab tank all the way to '77, but there's not many around. Steering columns are also an easy swap, especially the '78/'79 tilt columns.

mike

I know this is all pre-production, but the 1969 grille should have all the openings the same width, not narrower outside than toward the center.

I will be purchasing many of these kits, I already have my Moebius fund started.

Hats off to Moebius for taking the initiative in creating these kits. The demand has been there for some time, but despite the long wait, it's probably better that we have these guys working on them. They don't seem to mind receiving input from knowledgeable people, which should result in a better overall kit.

These are one-off pre-tooling mock-up models - In the old days these would be hand made - today they are generated from computer files and cut on CNC machines. These are done to provide a piece that mocks up the kit parts so that we can see how pieces fit together and look at the model as it will appear when it comes out of the steel tool.

After we review these mock-ups the factory will make a number of corrections and we'll review and approve them before we start cutting steel for tooling.

Pre-production - or test shots are produced from the same steel tooling that will produce the finished kit - ususally I'll get 6-8 sets of test shot parts - we use them to check fit of parts - to make sure that everything fits togther and that details are correct - most time there will be corrections made to the first and second sets of test shots usua;lly we'll go through 2-3 sets of test shots before we approve the tooling for mass production.

Tom Metzner - Thanks for the info regarding how these "proofs" were made !

That whole computerised-CNC-machined deal is such a sweet invention . First time I saw a product made in that fashion , I couldn't believe it ! My cousin had some golf Putter 'alignment-shot' deals made from "CNC-Printed" plastic .

I had to ask him repeatedly to confirm that the tools were , indeed , "printed" ! Absolutely amazing stuff :)

Mark I'm with you on the tire thing I would love to have a tire with someones company logo even if it was a off brand name I would fork over a little more for it. Tires just don't look right without a name on the side wall. the big brand names sould look at it as a way to get the name out there with youth of tomorrow.

There are ways around having to license a brand name; one only needs to look at the DUNLCP tires in the Meng 1:32 Toyota Hilux kit. ;)

One thing I was curious about with Moebius models: is there any rhyme or reason behind the colour of the plastic? Revell kits are all white these days, Round2 seems to be moving away from that awful grey stuff to white, and the Moebius kits are some sort of brown/grey colour (my colours aren't the best).

I know this is all pre-production, but the 1969 grille should have all the openings the same width, not narrower outside than toward the center.

I will be purchasing many of these kits, I already have my Moebius fund started.

You're actually thinking of the '67 grill, Tom, with all bars having the same spacing. Check out this grill reference...http://fordification.com/tech/67-72ID_01.htm

mike

When it comes to our choice of injected plastic color - gray is a neutral color - the operating assumption is that these kits will be painted.

White makes it difficult to see any small imperfections that the builder may want to deal with while gray does that less.

We are not foolish enough to believe that every piece of every kit will be perfect so we've tried to choose a neutral color that does not make imperfections too hard to see.

Basic neutral colors have no impact on molding costs. We can shoot the kits in white, gray, tan, light blue - makes no cost difference.

Unless someone can present a strong case for white plastic, my inclination is to stay with the gray.

The mock-ups are gray because they have a nice coat of gray primer - the color of the raw material is a light cream / tan..

You're actually thinking of the '67 grill, Tom, with all bars having the same spacing. Check out this grill reference...http://fordification.com/tech/67-72ID_01.htm

mike

The '69 looks the same as the '67 in the pics there except the middle horizontal bar is thicker. One thing I noticed on the tooling mock up pics is the grille on the '69 seems be rounded vertically and bulge out, while the 1:1 seems flatter..