Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Link Japan - good to deal with?

Ebay is another place to find alot of stuff as well

Two main problems with eBay are the exchange rate advantages have not materialized on eBay. The Yen is down nearly 25%, but I've yet to see a corresponding drop in prices like I have at HLJ and Hobby Search. Also shipping on eBay is ridiculously high compared to shopping at either of the two venues. Still much like for a domestic OOP kit, eBay tends to be the only way to acquire vintage/OOP Asian kits as well. At least I never seem to see too much floating around the vendor tables at shows I go to...every once in awhile something will come along that's off the wall like the Tamiya Volvo 850 Estate Wagon I found this Spring.

I've noticed one thing while browsing their site, it seems that 90% of their items are either out of stock or back ordered. Do you need to wait six months for your order?

I've ordered "backordered" and "out of stock" from them before. I have mostly gotten it within a month. Only once did it not show up, but I got a email telling me the company had discontinued it. If it is something you really need then place the order. They don't charge you until it ships. The stuff I ordered were WRC stencils for the radiator grills and metal transfers. They have a web site filter to remove the backorder/out of stock/discontinued stuff if you don't want to see it. Incidentally, it seems that they keep just about everything they ever sold on the inventory so it is a good recourse of who produced what, if you need that.

I've noticed one thing while browsing their site, it seems that 90% of their items are either out of stock or back ordered. Do you need to wait six months for your order?

If you order something that is Out of Stock, it will be showing "Back Ordered" the next day.

How long you'd have to wait depends on how easily back stock is obtained. I've only had one item ever be on back-order for a couple of months only to have it turn up discontinued. Point of advice, if you want something from Aoshima especially order it when you can, their spot runs are only a few thousand pieces world wide and items go in and out of their catalogs in sometimes as little as 90 days unless it's a sales leader like their Aventador.

If you order something that is ALREADY showing Back Ordered the wait will be determined by how long ago the person in front of you ordered it (or if it's a recent issue and they're waiting on more stock). I've ordered a back-order item figuring I'd have a month to wait, and got the purchase notice three days later.

I was meaning like wheel sets and stuff, I bought a Hobby Design wheel set from HLJ, and it was about a dollar more with HLJ then from a seller on Ebay, but with kits, oh yeah, HLJ is better then Ebay hands down

The time really does very, for instance, Aoshima's Aventador kit was out stock, I placed an order for it on the the first of July and still waiting for it, but I placed an order for another out of stock or backed ordered kit, I dont remember, but it was two days ago, and I received the payment email for it today, so it really just depends on how long the wait might be

Edited by martinfan5

• 1 year later...

I just ordered up some stuff from hobby link japan. if you are at all interested in Japanese imports, you should get yourself over there because with the exchange rate of US$ to JYen being almost unprecedented, things are very VERY cheap. and their private warehouse thing lets you gang shipments so to minimize postage costs.

for instance, Fujimi kits that used to or typically sell for almost 40$ (or more some places) are on sale for more like 17$. even the full tilt kits are looking pretty reasonable, 40$ for what was a 70$ Tamiya kit for example. and accessory packs and aftermarket upgrade parts are especially good values.

oh let me edit to add: a lot of stuff they list as "backordered" and if you are cynical like me you tend to read that as "not available". but I have found that when I order "backordered" items from them, they often arrive in just a couple weeks and HLJ notifies you to complete the transaction. so don't be put off on the backordered status too much.

jb

Edited by jbwelda

Some of us have been enjoying the exchange rate for awhile now, its a great time to buy Direct from Japan.

As for backordering, while I am going to agree with William, there are times where it doesnt always work, or can take awhile, for instance, I have backordered stuff , and got a payment email a few days later, or , I have a set of wheels that have have been on backed ordered since Nov 2013.

Or, this has happened three times now, you place something on back order, and after waiting months, the status changes to discontinued .

And, might as well add this too, if you a item that says back ordered, of course, there are already orders for it, if you see out of stock, you can still place a order for it, and if you see low stock, that means they have three in stock.

I should add one more thing, if you placed an item on back order, and it goes to discontinued, you will not be getting that item, and it will take them awhile to cancel the order for you, I know you are saying well, duh, I can see where it could be confusing when you have something on BO and the status is changed to discontinued but you still have a open order for it.

• 3 years later...

So I placed my first order w/ HLJ on 11/8. Today is 12/6, still no package. They shipped via SAL basic. 
HLJ asks to wait the full term (up to 30 days) before I contact them. So maybe next week I will contact them, if there is a return email address in their previous notifications. I believe everything went as planned, I think PayPal had no issues.
I think the shipping gods hate me.

1 hour ago, Jon Cole said:

So I placed my first order w/ HLJ on 11/8. Today is 12/6, still no package. They shipped via SAL basic. 
HLJ asks to wait the full term (up to 30 days) before I contact them. So maybe next week I will contact them, if there is a return email address in their previous notifications. I believe everything went as planned, I think PayPal had no issues.
I think the shipping gods hate me.

That's the slowest form of shipping, with no tracking I think.   I stick w/ EMS shipping w/ HLJ---usually get packages with 3-4 business days and have tracking.