Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '32 Ford Street Rod Classic Cruiser

Greg Myers

• 6 months later...

To bad they can't just do a version that has parts from all the versions of this kit in one box. Wouldn't be cheap, but multiple wheels and tires, engines, grills, ect could make for a bunch of build variations on the roadster and allow for resto parts for those looking to rebuild older issues.

I was going to say, if you are building a period hot rod with no fenders, this kit has the best dropped I beam front axle/39-up juice brake set-up ever put to styrene. With just a bit of fiddling, the steelies and tires from the Revell 40-48 Ford kits go right on. I have a huge stack of these kits just for that reason.

AHiboyFrontend-vi.jpg

And it's easy to do a little parts swapping with other Monogram kits to build a cool period rod, too...

P1010003-vi.jpg

Is the engine that was in the Son of Ford version able to be sourced from other Monogram kits?

That Pontiac engine only came in the "Little Deuce". The "Son of Ford" had a Chevy. Every other incarnation also had the Chevy. I have saved the Pontiac for years, along with the 6 deuces, for a reincarnation of the original.

Edited by Draggon

Is the engine that was in the Son of Ford version able to be sourced from other Monogram kits?

The ZZ top coupe has a Pontiac engine, bastardised to pass for an SBC (incorrect valve covers). It's still a Pontiac block & heads with an early Ford trans, so with some Pontiac valve covers and a more old school intake, you're in business. Given the ZZ top coupe is a modified reissue of the old Monogram '34 coupe, I'd expect the engine to drop into the '32 without too much trouble.

Actually, Don, Darryl Starbird built the 1:1 in 1964 and Monogram created the Big Deuce kit later from the full-sized rod. The Little Deuce came along even later as an effort to capture more of the modeling market from kids who couldn't afford the 1/8 scale Big Deuce. Both kits were quite popular.

The Big Deuce kit came out in 1963.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you ask me, just the brake backing plates and suspension pieces make this kit worth buying. The rest of the kit's nice (other than that grille that gets wider toward the bottom), but those parts in particular are very well done. Just a pity that the frame is molded in with the fender unit.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...