Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

I really think this kit will sell well... What I fear, though, is that Revell will think that it's selling well because of the awesomely executed 1:1 car that people try to copy... when, in my opinion, it will only sell due to modelers stocking up on those new firewalls and those rims/tires, possibly engine too. I really hope the next deuce they put out will have the correct front axle and be better molded with no flash.

It'd be sad if they thought that cars from TV sell well so they make more kits that resemble TV cars instead of focusing on nicely done parts and traditional style hot rods.

Well, celebrity tie-ins sell. We're currently building a 1:1 '32 roadster as traditional as you can get (shiny, too) for a very VERY well known musician, so maybe that could be the next one kitted, eh?

Well, celebrity tie-ins sell. We're currently building a 1:1 '32 roadster as traditional as you can get (shiny, too) for a very VERY well known musician, so maybe that could be the next one kitted, eh?

That would be very nice. Lack of traditional deuce in 1/25 scale straight out of box is one of the biggest first world problems we are faced with on this forum :D

It'd be sad if they thought that cars from TV sell well so they make more kits that resemble TV cars instead of focusing on nicely done parts and traditional style hot rods.

This makes no sense. If a kit sells well, Revell doesn't really care if some people would rather have a traditional hot rod. They will make what sells. Period.

Just had the chance to dig through one of these up close and personal, and all in all I'm pretty satisfied with what I see. I can look past the inaccurate (but still very usable) frame and see the potential in this kit- I have to think that Revell knows practically nobody is going to use this to build a 1:25 duplicate of the real Rat Roaster. The only thing I don't like about this kit? That electic fan blade. Please, Revell, stop molding these to the radiator core! Make it separate or mold it to its housing. B)

The only thing I don't like about this kit? That electic fan blade. Please, Revell, stop molding these to the radiator core! Make it separate or mold it to its housing. B)

Agreed. It especially doesn't make any sense when all of the past variants of the '32 had that piece molded separate. :wacko:

This makes no sense. If a kit sells well, Revell doesn't really care if some people would rather have a traditional hot rod. They will make what sells. Period.

Read my entire post. I specified that (in my opinion) the kit will primarily sell well likely to correct parts that appeal to traditional crowd, not because of it being a TV car. I said I'm afraid that they (Revell) will think the latter and make more kits with TV cars on the box without much good parts inside. Period.

I know very little about the 1:1 build, other than what's apparent from the pix.

Does anyone know how the 'chrome' side trim was made? Hammered stainless? Cast aluminum?

Up top's kinda ugly, but most tops with side curtains are, so that's no points against it.

I'm trying to get confirmation on that, but I'm having some trouble posting on the site (it's been a while since I've been on there). Just looking at it myself, thouhg, I'm inclined to think it might actually be painted, rather than an actual separate trim peice. There is a white pinstripe running around the outside of the silver part. I will admit, it is somewat hard to tell, as with the lighting at some angle it looks like brushed stainless or maybe aluminum, but other angles it looks like a really bright silver metallic paint. Once I can get a confirmation either way (I'll get the color code if it indeed paint), I'll pass the information along.

Have any of you test fit the Rat Roaster firewall on any of the Revell Deuce body shells?

Tried it on the 5-window. Needs the side locators trimmed off, but the top locator lines it up right. The other hoods will need some trimming to work with the firewall, as the RR hood is very thin on the back edge.

I've begun a comparison and compatibility thread on another forum where I'm analyzing the differences between the Rat Roaster and the old Revell 1/25th roadster as well as compatibility with the other currently available kits. There are quite a few differences, some of which will require some work on the part of modelers to adapt or correct parts.

Here are some pictures of the firewall and fitment issues. It's as Brett eiscribes, pretty simple to correct. If you want to use the inset firewall front the other kist there's a gap you'll have to fill because the edge in the bodywork for the firewall is much slimmer on the Rat Roaster.

Roadster-Firewalls-Web-1.jpg
Roadster-Bodies-Firewall-Areas-Web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Still haven't found out anyhting on the "trim" yet. I had to reset my password on the Gearz site (been a while since I've been there), and it seems I can't post in the formum there. My posts keep getting deleted/lost/not posting. I did make a post in their Chatter section, but no response yet. I have, however, looked at pretty much all of the pics showing the sides of the car that are on the site, and the "trim" looks to actually just be a silver paint stripe along the character line, which is oulines with a white pinstripe.

Still haven't found out anyhting on the "trim" yet. I had to reset my password on the Gearz site (been a while since I've been there), and it seems I can't post in the formum there. My posts keep getting deleted/lost/not posting. I did make a post in their Chatter section, but no response yet. I have, however, looked at pretty much all of the pics showing the sides of the car that are on the site, and the "trim" looks to actually just be a silver paint stripe along the character line, which is oulines with a white pinstripe.

Check out the very first post of this thread. Link to Stacey David's very own site showing you everything about his car you could possibly want to know.

Here is what I took at the 2011 IHOBBY show with the Rat Roaster on display:

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

I still have the hi-res images on my computer.

HTH

Gerry

Here is what I took at the 2011 IHOBBY show with the Rat Roaster on display:

{pix omitted purposely}

I still have the hi-res images on my computer.

HTH

Gerry

So, what's the answer? Is it real, or is it Memorex? I mean, is it real add-on trim or is it painted-on faux trim?

So, what's the answer? Is it real, or is it Memorex? I mean, is it real add-on trim or is it painted-on faux trim?

I recollected real, but it was a year and a quarter ago. But the more I look at the hi-res photos, it appears to be painted. So, My put is that it is painted. The tell tale piece is the end of the "chrome" spear appears level with the body line.

Looking to see if I have any more info.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

OK. A little sniffing around and I found the Hot Rod Institute photo archive of the Rat Roaster prep and paint. It appears they used the polished body metal, masked it, highlighted it and then clear coated. Here's some selected photos:

ratroadster0113jpg.jpg

ratroadster0123jpg.jpg

hri030jpg.jpg

And here's the link:

http://www.hotrod.edu/siterun_data/photo_galleries/?image_category=41

Edited by Exotics_Builder

Thanks for finding that. On the site and the show, there was no mention on exactly what was done for the stripe. That does explain why it didn't really look like a separate peice, and at some angles, it wasn't as shiney. Now the real trick is going to be replicating it accurately in 1/25 scale.

I was disappointed to learn that there would be no beam axle with the Rat Roadster. That being said, there are many beam axles in other kits that can be adapted. My favorite is the beam axle and hairpins in the AMT '41 Woodie I used on a traditional Deuce. I also adapted the quick-change with mono-leaf transverse spring from the same kit.

The kit has not yet arrived at my LHS here in Victoria BC Canada but I am looking forward to it. Every two years Victoria has one of the biggest Deuce Days anywhere with hundreds of '32's from all over North America on display around the Inner Harbor in mid July. The car modelling community has two Deuce model displays scheduled - one at an in door car show the first weekend of June and another at the host hotel for Deuce Days.