Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500 reissue : I added Factory Reference Material

migace

I saw that earlier today , and I had to look at its price a few times to make sure that the decimal was in the correct spot :blink: .

Don't get me wrong ; that thing looks gorgeous , but ... five hundred bucks ?!? Looks like I'm in the wrong business !

Well, you figure about $100 for the Modelhaus resin kit...plus the hours of labor to build and paint it... not bad when you consider the time that went into it. I'm not sure how I'm going to paint mine, but definitely something like this in early '70s colors..

When you factor in the costs of the original kit, Modelhaus conversion, paint, glue and time, $510.00 doesn't seem all that outrageous, if you are a collector.

We builders, on the other hand, agree with Danno.

I have on occasion attempted to tabulate the cost of a build. It depressed me, therefore I no longer care. :blink:

G

When you factor in the costs of the original kit, Modelhaus conversion, paint, glue and time, $510.00 doesn't seem all that outrageous, if you are a collector.

We builders, on the other hand, agree with Danno.

I have on occasion attempted to tabulate the cost of a build. It depressed me, therefore I no longer care. :blink:

G

Eh .... good point.

I once received a free NASCAR kit. A dear friend was pressuring me to build ... my first NASCAR model.

So, I took the free Lumina kit and embarked on the project.

I remembered seeing the 'way cool' aftermarket fuel filler kit, so I bought it to install in my free model.

Then I realized I had to open up the trunk to show it off, so I bought the photoetch trunk hinge kit.

Then I realized it looked odd to have the trunk hinged but not the hood, so I bought the hood hinge kit.

That necessitated the hood pin kit.

Then, with the hood opened, I had to have the braided hoses and fittings.

Which looked weird without the brake duct kit. Then I discovered the killer photoetch grille kit. .... .... and on and on it went.

Before I knew it, that free kit had well over $200 worth of aftermarket goodies on it.

That was many years ago. It's still the most expensive model in my build collection!

B)

Eh .... good point.

I once received a free NASCAR kit. A dear friend was pressuring me to build ... my first NASCAR model.

So, I took the free Lumina kit and embarked on the project.

I remembered seeing the 'way cool' aftermarket fuel filler kit, so I bought it to install in my free model.

Then I realized I had to open up the trunk to show it off, so I bought the photoetch trunk hinge kit.

Then I realized it looked odd to have the trunk hinged but not the hood, so I bought the hood hinge kit.

That necessitated the hood pin kit.

Then, with the hood opened, I had to have the braided hoses and fittings.

Which looked weird without the brake duct kit. Then I discovered the killer photoetch grille kit. .... .... and on and on it went.

Before I knew it, that free kit had well over $200 worth of aftermarket goodies on it.

That was many years ago. It's still the most expensive model in my build collection!

B)

Danno

That free NASCAR DOT kit you gave me, I am in for $22 in paint for it, plus the $20 for the decals , so that free kit is costing $42 to complete it , I think as modelers, its just best not to add up the cost per kits :lol: , some things are better off if we dont know about it

Edited by martinfan5

Look closely at the Olds and you will see two large mold seams the builder left. Check out the area between the rear window and the top of the belt line just where it starts up over the rear fender.

Everything else is primo, as is the other Ford build.

G

Edited by Agent G

This seller is about to make $760 in selling two kits when his is other auction ends

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b564f19e

Good for the seller. It's the market that dictates the price of the built model. Whoever the buyer(s) are, they feel that they are getting a good buy, or else they would not bid that price.

I am not sure I could ever make money doing that, simply because I am not sure I could part with the models. Maybe if I was pulling down that kind of coin on a consistant basis, well...

Almost every model I built and parted with, I regret. Most I have made for folks I know, like my father, but even those I miss but at least I know where they are. The worst was when I moved from Indiana to Phoenix, as one of the boxes that had my childhood builds did not survive the journey to my current location. It makes me sick sometimes, but from my childhood I only have a handful.

Looks like this is now available (on ebay etc). Anybody picked 1 up yet & got the lowdown ?

What are the multible Cop decals ?

i read somewhere that the decals will be: CHP,las vegas police,troy michigan police,chicago police,and new york state police. wonder why they didn't do san francisco police? not sure if this is accurate or not,just what i read.

Grabbed one today. Very disappointed. It is a straight reissue, with no "fixes" to the shortcomings of previous issues.

The only change is the decals, which are a plus with some minuses. As Ryan mentioned above, it is now confirmed that the agencies are Troy, MI, Las Vegas PD, Chicago PD, CHP and NYSP. The pluses are the Troy and CHP, they are accurate and period correct for 1970, however CHP never used the 70 Ford. Las Vegas is not bad, but incorrect for 1970. The gold door star is sort of correct (it should be metallic gold), but the word "POLICE" was not adopted until 1974. In 1970, they had "To Protect and Serve" on the door with the star. The NYSP markings are correct, but again, incorrect for 1970. The blue/yellow cars hit the road in 1974, plus no Fords for NYSP in 1970. The markings should be black/white for this year. The Chicago markings are not that good. Again, this style marking was not used until 1974 when they switched to all white cars, and the red lettering is way too dark (doesn't show correct in the scan) (BTW, my scan cut off the bottom stripe, it is there) So if this was a 1974 Ford, we'd be OK.

I'm very surprised Round 2 did not do their homework on the accuracy of the decals. It just adds to the shortcomings of an already tired reissued, in my opinion. The information is out there on who used this year Ford, and what the correct markings should have been for that year.

img008-vi.jpg

LVPD 1973 Satellite, correct color/markings for 1970 Ford

DSCF1203-vi.jpg

LVMPD 1974 Dodge for reference, now tan/white cars...

DSCF1206-vi.jpg

Edited by tomsheehy

I just got the kit too and I have had all the original re issues, they fixed the body and sharpened the trim and the plastic between the window frames has been molded in a way that does not affect the frame anymore. I will take pictures in a few for everyone. Also they added better screws and wider tires than the skinnies all other kits had.

Since the markings appear to be more correct for a later model I have a question. When the agency in question changed the markings from the 70 style to the 74 style would they update the markings for any older cars they still had? Could this be built as a older car that was still around in 74/75, maybe with some wear and tear and such.