Model Cars Magazine Forum

FE Dragster

my80malibu

One of my favorites to watch are Front Engine Dragsters, from the early Sixties, and Seventies. This is my first time trying to build one.

Let me know what you think. This was started a couple of years ago and then put away. It's from the Two Much, dragster with the frame extended, and one engine removed. The body was completely useless and could not be made to work and look good. I now have switched over, to this Ramcharger body, and modified it last night.

Lookin' good. :)B)

Earlier this last year I cut up a Ramchargers body and managed to make the cowl removable. Looks like you're well on your way. In my case, however, it was mounted to the Ramchargers FED frame so I had no fit issues I'll be interested to see what you determine as you move forward.

If adapting the Ramchargers body turns into a PITA consider the various really nice bodies from Altered States Models, all of which are designed for the Ivo/Too Much frame. I have used their minimalist "Shorty" bodies on multiple Too Much frames. They're a perfect fit, look great, and have a removable cowl so you can show off your cockpit detail. Here's a link to the FED page at Altered States: http://www.alteredstatesmodels.com/front_engine_dragsters.htm (Click on the little pictures in the listings to see a larger image). Below are some pics of a couple of my applications so you can see the fit. (Again, click on the little pictures to see a larger image).

th_DSCF4877-web.jpgth_DSCF4827-web.jpgth_DSCF0752-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Lookin' good. :)B)

Earlier this last year I cut up a Ramchargers body and managed to make the cowl removable. Looks like you're well on your way. In my case, however, it was mounted to the Ramchargers FED frame so I had no fit issues I'll be interested to see what you determine as you move forward.

If adapting the Ramchargers body turns into a PITA consider the various really nice bodies from Altered States Models, all of which are designed for the Ivo/Too Much frame. I haved used their minimalist "Shorty" bodies on multiple Too Much frames. They're a perfect fit, look great, and have a removable cowl so you can show off your cockpit detail. Here's a link to the FED page at Altered States: http://www.alteredstatesmodels.com/front_engine_dragsters.htm (Click on the little pictures in the listings to see a larger image). Below are some pics of a couple of my applications so you can see the fit. (Again, click on the little pictures to see a larger image).

th_DSCF4877-web.jpgth_DSCF4827-web.jpgth_DSCF0752-web.jpg

I am getting ready to reinforce the body some. Before I cut the cowl off. The mockup fitting was far better, than the Old body shown in the background. Nothing I would do, seemed to be right with that one, you can see I had to relocate the axle shaft openings, and move the forward tins up.

Looking good, Gabe!

I've never been big in dragsters, either, but some of the best modeling fun I've had in years was when I built that Studebaker Superstarliner phantom FED a couple of years ago. I hope you have as much fun with your dragster as I did with mine.

I'm thinking I need to build another . . . maybe with the Slingster/Sizzler kit.

Watching your fun . . .

Edited by Danno

Looking good, Gabe!

I've never been big in dragsters, either, but some of the best modeling fun I've had in years was when I built that Studebaker Superstarliner phantom FED a couple of years ago. I hope you have as much fun with your dragster as I did with mine.

Uh, Danno, yours was a REAR engine dragster under that Studebaker body. How soon we forget.

Gabriel - I remember seeing this FED when I returned to the Moonlight Modelers and you had this at the first meeting I went to at Tom's house. I wondered what happened to it. Keep at it this time. Its too good not to.

Edited by gasser59