Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old Muscle Car CBP Official Thread

SuperStockAndy

Well I got that '68 Dart for Christmas, I haven't done much yet.......

My plans are to paint it a really glossy black and make it into a drag car. I will be using the 426 HEMI and 4 speed tranny. Also, I have reshaped the rear wheelwells.

100_0029.jpg

100_0030.jpg

I do notice how bad the paint is on the chassis. I was painting in 30 degree weather and I don't think I shook the can long enough........

Edited by Android

I do notice how bad the paint is on the chassis. I was painting in 30 degree weather and I don't think I shook the can long enough........

Before painting in cold weather...

1. Take a small saucepan and fill it with about a cup of water.

2. Place the paint can in the pan and put it on the stove on about medium heat.

3. DO NOT boil the water, just warm it up.

4. When the can is just too warm to the touch, it's warmed up right. Grip it with some paper towels wrapped around it.

5. Shake as usual and apply paint.

This is a good practice for any weather, as it helps pressurize the can, allowing you get more of the paint out of the can, and it applies a smoother, glossier finish.

Also, if possible, don't paint outdoors-outdoors. Use an old box as a makeshift paint-booth and paint in your cellar, an enclosed porch, or something like that. The box is also important if you paint outside because it'll help keep dust and such off the paint and prevent overspray from hitting surrounding property.

Charlie Larkin

Well, I hope ya got me down and accept this 1966 Chevrolet SS 396 as a Muscle car.

Got the body painted and interior bucket almost done.

Side note; The interior is dark blue with marina Blue trim. looks kinda silver under this light for some reason.

1966ImpalaSS306Painted001.jpg

1966ImpalaSS306Painted002.jpg

a muscle car isn't a muscle car until it's LOUD!

(paint-wise)

anyways, some updates on the dart.

my first attempt at airbrushing a full body turned out well.. that is until the unfortunate happened.

Ya see, if you get the 68 dart kit, the rear wheel wells have scoring so that you can know where to cut them out to fit the slicks. I wanted to go with a vinyl top, so i traded the body out for one of the Mr. Norm's 68 dodge dart that had the vinyl top on it - but after i painted the body, i THEN realize that i forgot to cut out the rear wheel wells. Long story short, it's getting stripped to the plastic and re-done correctly. and yes, it'll be the loud hot magenta color.

DSC02741.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02745.jpg

DSC02746.jpg

the best news, i have figured out a good paint/thinner ratio for this paint job.

I will get the body work completed and done, and car painted by the end of this weekend, then it's on to final assembly.

so about 2 minutes into the build i had to completly change directions

i screwed up the paint and there is NO way i can pull of the theme i had in mind so im going a 70s style pro-touring

it will have a upgraded interior with racing seats and gauges, aftermarket rims (lambos) and maybe a different engine (not sure on that)

here are some shots :)

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwODYtMjAxMTAxMTItMjIzOC5qcGc.jpg

(underside with the molded exhaust removed and custom build Qtip rear axle)

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTAtMjAxMTAxMTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTEtMjAxMTAxMTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMTItMjAxMTAxMTUtMTc0MS5qcGc.jpg

the body painted and custom decals applied

• 2 weeks later...

got a little work done to the GTX over the weekend

BMFed, detailed, cleared and polished the body

afixed all for wheels and started work on the engine

here are some shots of where she sits

(should be able to put everything minus the engine together tomorrow after the glass dries :)

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjQtMjAxMTAxMzEtMTY1My5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjUtMjAxMTAxMzEtMTY1NC5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjYtMjAxMTAxMzEtMTY1NS5qcGc.jpg

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjgtMjAxMTAxMzEtMTY1NS5qcGc.jpg

i wanted the engine to look new, but not factory, like it was rebuild by a speedshop, so i went with a nice racy (non factory) red