Model Cars Magazine Forum

Subaru WRX STi

Scale-Master

I picked this kit up several years ago, when these cars/kits were very popular. I almost built it many times over the last decade, but each time put it on the back burner due to different reasons.

I decided now or never is the time, and I wanted to paint something blue.

Once I cleaned up the mold lines and scribed the panel lines a little deeper, I primed the body with gray Tamiya primer, re-sanded and then put a base coat of Tamiya Intermediate Blue.

DSC04184_zpsf41462cd.jpg

The wheels and calipers came pre-painted gold, but not on the back side, so I shot a coat of gold on the back to cover up the blue plastic while they were still on the sprue.

DSC04172_zps9a273857.jpg

I shot the single piece chassis with the same base and color blues as the body will get, and then proceeded with the hand painting of silver and black as well as some washes mixed from black, smoke and earth.

DSC04171_zpsf1824639.jpg

DSC04170_zps374ef308.jpg

Looking great, but before you get too far along I was wondering if I could pay you to cast me copies of the headlight parts. I have this kit but it is missing some parts. It's been a while since I looked and I don't remember if it is the headlight buckets or the lenses. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Later-

Looking great, but before you get too far along I was wondering if I could pay you to cast me copies of the headlight parts. I have this kit but it is missing some parts. It's been a while since I looked and I don't remember if it is the headlight buckets or the lenses. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Later-

Sorry, I already am "too far along", I painted the headlight buckets, and I don't have any clear resin if it turns out you need the lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

I sprayed the door panels German Gray and brush painted the blue inserts and speaker grilles as called out in the instructions. I did a really light wash of dark gray to enhance the engraved lines.

DSC04198_zpsc5c88cb0.jpg

Shot the body with a few light coats of Mica Blue, let it dry for a week and color sanded it with 2000 grit. Then shot three more coats about 45 minutes before taking these pictures. It is really hot today.

DSC04201_zps6920dcd1.jpg

DSC04200_zpsbb2d3a46.jpg

I shot the gray portions of the seats with a dark semi-metallic gray then hand painted the blue inserts then assembled the interior. I’m not too concerned with the interior door handles being silver as opposed to chrome since the tint and the windows diminish the view significantly.
DSC04208_zpsf40acbfc.jpg
DSC04209_zps4b715f06.jpg
I masked the windows with the kit provided masks and shot the black trim.
DSC04205_zps349b6cbe.jpg
Then I removed the masks from the rear and side rear windows…
DSC04206_zps7122d35d.jpg
…and sprayed the smoke tint.
DSC04207_zps7f3e9eea.jpg
I went with limo tint on the side windows, lesser density on the back glass.