Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why are builders using the term kit bashing?

When you take a part from one kit and add it to another kit, it is referred to as kit bashing. Ie. adding the fins from a Cadillac kit onto a Ford Torino kit. If you make the parts yourself, it is called scratch building. Ie. you take styrene sheet stock and make fins for your Torino.

Edited by wisdonm

This is a kitbash...

IMG_0304_zpsf7079a00.jpg

002-4.jpg

IMG_0305_zps8a53f33a.jpg

IMG_0309_zps505a8b2a.jpg

I used the JoHan Heavenly Hearse, the interior parts, and custom body parts from a JoHan '66 Cadillac convertable kit, the steering wheel from the Elvira '58 Thunderbird kit, added the tubs, tires, and rear suspension from the Revell '67 Chevelle Pro Street, the wheels and front tires from the Revell '55 Pro Sportsman.

Edited by Custom Hearse

Well, one or two parts from one kit used on another does not really justify calling it kitbashed. I see kitbashing as when you combine major assemblies from one or more kits into the main build, such as Marshall's hearse, above.

Another example would be vastly improving an AMT '69 Chevelle kit by using the entire much much higher quality chassis from an AMT '69 Cutlass, and finishing it off with a big block from a Revell '69 Corvette.

Generally speaking, it comes down to this - improving the kit you want to build by swapping out inferior kit parts with superior kit parts (generally speaking, full assemblies). All kits not being created equal, it's often necessary to take the best of several to get the level of quality we want to start with.

More advanced kitbashing gets into pilfering one or two specific parts from a multitude of kits, but this is generally avoided by more highly experienced modelers because they've done it enough times to realize how expensive it is, and that they can simply make the parts themselves using 1:1 reference and not only spare a kit, but end up with a better part anyway.

Kit manufacturers do it, but only to a relatively small extent. They could stand to do it a LOT more often with some of the older kits, and they'd find themselves getting standing ovations. Unfortunately, foresight was a quality typically absent during the design stages of kits back then, and because of how the dies are set up it would not often be viable from a manufacturing standpoint.

A recent trend? I've seen the term "kitbashing" in model car mags from the 60's... I might be wrong, but isn't it used in AMT's old Trophy Series and Styline instruction sheets as well?

I use it for things that are just simple parts swaps, not even what I'd consider heavy modifications, e.g. "My ____ was built box-stock, except for kitbashed wheels and tires from so-and-so's _____"

Kit manufacturers do it, but only to a relatively small extent. They could stand to do it a LOT more often with some of the older kits, and they'd find themselves getting standing ovations. Unfortunately, foresight was a quality typically absent during the design stages of kits back then, and because of how the dies are set up it would not often be viable from a manufacturing standpoint.

If Revell would take what's become of the Lil' T and throw in the wheels and tires from the Lil' Coffin, they'd get a standing O from me...

A perfect example of a missed kit-bashing opportunity on the manufacturing level is they way Lindberg laid out the parts for their 64 Super Stock Dodges vs the 64 Belvedere. It's easy for a modeler to kitbash the two to make a replica of Al Eckstrand's LAWMAN Super Stock Plymouth, but it would take almost every sprue from the Dodge kit and almost every sprue from the Plymouth kit to do it in a kit version. Had they laid the sprues out with a little more foresight it would be an easier kit to box. I hope Round 2 follows through with Lindberg's plans of doing this one, I've always wanted to do it and Fred Cady's decals were the wrong colors*

*side note - has anyone else ever done corrected '64 LAWMAN decals? Rumors were that the LAWMAN decal artwork was already drawn and ready to go before Lindberg went through whatever it was that Lindberg went through...

I think George is right. It's high time we came into the modern world, what with computers and all.

"heavy mods since its great to build something different or rare and /or not ever made as a model kit"

would make it easier for all of us to understand.

KITBASHING is defiantly more than a few parts added to a kit from another. Usually I would call that PARTS BOX building.

For me KITBASHING is combining components from two or more kits to create something uniquely custom.

Or something unavailable from a manufacturer. But you can call it what ever you like, just build it!

PUDone1-1.jpg

Guest Johnny

and the argument begins.....................................................................................................................

I'm confused. Where is the bashing taking place?

The dictionary says bashing means: 1. To strike with a heavy, crushing blow. 2. To beat or assault severely.

Are you bashing the kit by removing parts from it? Thus making it an incomplete kit.

Or are you bashing the design of the the one or two kits that you are using?

Or are you bashing the model your building by making extreme changes to it?

If I take the wheels from one kit and combine them with all of the parts from another kit am I bashing? If not, why not?

How many parts must I remove from one kit to be bashing?

Are you bashing the kit by removing parts from it? Thus making it an incomplete kit.

Or are you bashing the design of the the one or two kits that you are using?

Or are you bashing the model your building by making extreme changes to it?

If I take the wheels from one kit and combine them with all of the parts from another kit am I bashing? .

Yes.

The word "Kitbashing" has been used for years to describe taking various parts from various kits and combining those parts to create a model that doesn't exist as a kit. Simple as that. "Heavy mods" or any mods at all aren't necessary for a model to be a result of "kitbashing."

Example: you could take the engine from one kit, seats from another, wheels and tires from another, and a body and interior from another... they could all fit together without any mods necessary. Kitbashed.

KITBASHING is defiantly more than a few parts added to a kit from another. Usually I would call that PARTS BOX building.

For me KITBASHING is combining components from two or more kits to create something uniquely custom.

Or something unavailable from a manufacturer. But you can call it what ever you like, just build it!

What's so defiant about that model? Or, about kitbashing?

(If you're going to parse words, you have to be consistent and parse all words.)

It's all semantics ... and in the grand scheme of things ... none of it matters much. Call it what you like, kitbashing or parts box building. Just don't call it scratchbuilding.

There used to be a couple of people here (and their fawning posse) who would call what you describe - scratchbuilding. It ignites wars.

But, then, come to think of it, I've never seen a built-up parts box, either.

Speaking of semantic wars, just don't get us started on the kit vs. model argument. I KNOW what is RIGHT, it's just that there's a few fools who don't agree with me!

Speaking of semantic wars, just don't get us started on the kit vs. model argument. I KNOW what is RIGHT, it's just that there's a few fools who don't agree with me!

I wouldn't think there would be an argument there...the phrase is 'model kit'.

I wouldn't think there would be an argument there...the phrase is 'model kit'.

Of course there is . . .

You sometimes see someone refer to a completed model as a "kit."

An unassembled group of parts in a box with instructions may be referred to as either a 'kit' or a 'model kit,' but once completed, it is no longer a 'kit,' it is a 'model.'