Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ecto 1A to be re-released?

Hmmmmm.... all the '59/60 Ambulances I've seen had a step bumper. (All two of 'em. :lol: ) That Modelhaus piece might be worth looking into though.

I googled '59 Caddy Ambulances, and the few pics I saw of ones that weren't Ghostbusters versions had a bumper w/ a license plate recess...similar to the car bumper but without the rear grille trim.

I googled '59 Caddy Ambulances, and the few pics I saw of ones that weren't Ghostbusters versions had a bumper w/ a license plate recess...similar to the car bumper but without the rear grille trim.

Yeah- just did likewise, I'm seeing the same thing. Looks like the two that were in my area were half-hearted Ecto wanna-be's!

According to some reports I have seen (Many Years ago) there was a Step Bumper similar

to the one on the 1A available for 1960 Ambulances, but not 1959's.

The car had a Normal rear bumper in the first movie, so the Polar-lights kit has that.

It's just that the Bullitt tail lights are cast in place on the bumper.

AMT's 1A kit does have the clear red bullitts.

• 6 months later...

I received the Amt Ecto -1A kits today, yes, I bought two of them, the only thing that is different with this release over the first one, is the box art, and the decals, you now have the options to build either Ecto-1, or 1A, but only on the decal side, you will have to make the modification to the everything to make it like it is in the first movie.

Here are the pics from whats in the box

gb1.jpg

gb2.jpg

gb9.jpg

gb3.jpg

gb4.jpg

gb6.jpg

gb5.jpg

gb7.jpg

gb8.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

I ordered two of these as well. They came in yesterday and I stop to pick them up on my way home from work today. I plan to build one as it was intended and the other I plan to convert (back?) into a hearse. Maybe I'll get a third one to build as an ambulance.

Either way, looking at the interior tub, it seems that I'll have to make some modifications to build the hearse; the ambulance would be easier.

Thanks for the pics and have fun!

David G.

I picked up my two yesterday and I'm trying to decide if I want to build the first one as an ambulance or a hearse. A hearse would require an extensive modification of the rear area of the interior. An ambulance would require fewer interior mods, but I'd have to scratch-build the emergency lights.

Either way, what fun!

David G.

I picked up my two yesterday and I'm trying to decide if I want to build the first one as an ambulance or a hearse. A hearse would require an extensive modification of the rear area of the interior. An ambulance would require fewer interior mods, but I'd have to scratch-build the emergency lights.

Either way, what fun!

David G.

Actually the 1:1 version is based on the M-M Futura which is a Combination model that does double duty as both a Hearse and an Ambulance. You could trim it out either way with little modification.

-Steve

Actually the 1:1 version is based on the M-M Futura which is a Combination model that does double duty as both a Hearse and an Ambulance. You could trim it out either way with little modification.

-Steve

Thanks for the tip. I'll can refine my research to lean more toward the Millers.

Hey, maybe we can turn this thread into the Ecto-1(A) CBP thread!

David G.

Yes, Those are the AMT Hollow Goodyears.

Original Boxart showed BF Goodrich T/A's on the Actual car though.

MPC's BFG's are a little smaller in diameter, so I shaved the letters off mine

I also Narrowed them one tread row.

I never could see why AMTY put 2 Amber flasher/rotators on the lower grill/bumper,

I only ever see the one double wide on the left.

Her is the 1A finished.(Original issue)

Ecto-1A-Ls.jpg

Here is the album:

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/EdselDan/Models/Ghostbusters/

Notice the Modified signboards.

Is that "GoodYear" lettering I see on the tires? :blink:;)

Yes... Round 2 doesn't remove their sidewall lettering. :lol:B)

I've got the original '89 version of the kit, now sporting a widened El Camino roof. It was going to be a hauler for a Revell Midget (as the cargo bed has room to spare), but I overlooked the one minor detail of the Midget being too wide to fit through the tailgate. Oh well...

k001-vi.jpg

Either way, what fun!

David G.

You could largely do it with what's included in the kit. There are some period correct lights hidden among the more modern lights.

Here is a tutorial for making a Federal Beacon Ray (rotating light) from an automotive bulb. I've seen one of Dave's beacon rays using this technique and they are spectacular, way better than anything I've seen in plastic or resin.

http://www.scalefirehouse.com/watercooler/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=178

I went to the trouble of back-dating one of these to the original.

Then of course Polar Lights came out with their kit.

The P-L kit appears to be based off the same masters as the AMT 1A kit.

Though the rear axle is too far back in the opening. Also the separate dark tint window section is wrong.

Both movies had a clear stripe in the side & rear hatch/door window with the top & bottom areas dark.

it is not easy to see in my built 1A above. * One side is painted with window tint, the other is tint film.

I could not get the stuff to spray/settle well. It ran terribly.

It took 2 layers of film to match the Testor's spray!!

You could largely do it with what's included in the kit. There are some period correct lights hidden among the more modern lights.

Here is a tutorial for making a Federal Beacon Ray (rotating light) from an automotive bulb. I've seen one of Dave's beacon rays using this technique and they are spectacular, way better than anything I've seen in plastic or resin.

http://www.scalefire....php?f=18&t=178

That's a very useful tutorial, thanks for the link. I'll also take a closer look at the kit for those throwbacks you mentioned.

David G.

The 4 Corner Spot lights that mount to the rooftop equipment rack are era correct for a stock Ambulance.

The A pillar spotlight will need to be relocated. Most on vehicles of this era were Fender mounted.

The are went through the fender to the dash.

The picture of my built above shows the modified mount but may not be sharp/large enough.

I need to foil it though.