Model Cars Magazine Forum

'50 Ford F1 street truck (completed 8/23/08)

JayVee

That's looking really sharp!! The slight recess on the grille seems to help reduce the "funk factor".

With as round as this body is, I don't think that there's too much more you can do to it to maintain it's original "look" without getting too extreme. Your's does a good job of maintaining the original look while adding a slightly modern, custom flair.

Good job!!

Well, I went back & got that kit. I have the original version, but I figure a set of Foose looking wheels and a good motor for under $10 is a good buy. I have wanted to do 2 styles of this truck anyway. I totally agree with the funny looking grill. I like most of my street rods w/o bumpers. On my other one, I filled all the holes in the hood. That seamed to help as little. I still want to get a hold of one of those 50 something deliverys, and bash em together to make a 50 street rod UPS delivery. Yours is looking great so far. Great color. I should try painting earlier like you do, it might keep me going. Thanks for the pics. I really like the front opened up openings.

Mike

I should try painting earlier like you do, it might keep me going.

Funny you should mention that. I would normally wait until much later in the process to paint, but lately I've been encountering so many painting gremlins that I didn't want to do a ton of chassis work and end up with a useless truck body. With all the work done that was done to the bed it would have been a tough job to strip it for repainting. Now I have to be extra careful to make sure the super glue on my fingers is good and dry!

I dealt with a round of "kitbasher's surprise" once I checked the fit of the engine to the floorboard and firewall, so I moved the radiator support and motor mounts forward 7mm. I also added the tranny mount and built up the rear of the chassis to mount to the truck bed. Because the chassis tucks up far enough under the body I was able to keep the front control arms in stock position, which was good because of where the headers are going to be positioned. I also flipped the tie rod to clear the oil pan:

fifty_pu17.jpg

Only minor grinding of the tranny tunnel on the floor board was required. The firewall was smoothed, but I'll need to fill in the slots where the hood hinges would go:

fifty_pu18.jpg

The interior was temporarily assembled to test fit the chassis. Here's how it will sit:

fifty_pu19.jpg

-JV

You have no idea what you are going to do with the inner fenders do you?!(LOL) :rolleyes: Just joking. I am sure they are going to look great. I agree about the size of the wheels on the 1:1. No problem about the link. I was actually trying to find a 56 panel van for an unrelated project.

Looks excellent, as usual, Jay Vee. Excellent chassis work and stance. I love the Tamiya gunmetal color, it's awesome!

You're making me rethink this kit. I have the older issue with the incorrect Ardun heads. I might have to copy your styling cues on this. Speaking of the Ardun heads, do you have plans to use the engine from this kit?

I love seeing your in progress builds, by the way.

Looks excellent, as usual, Jay Vee. Excellent chassis work and stance. I love the Tamiya gunmetal color, it's awesome!

You're making me rethink this kit. I have the older issue with the incorrect Ardun heads. I might have to copy your styling cues on this. Speaking of the Ardun heads, do you have plans to use the engine from this kit?

I love seeing your in progress builds, by the way.

Thanks! I want to hang on to this engine because I see an old school build in my future. Now about the front inner fenders...

turns out they are molded as part of the kit chassis so I seperated them with a razor saw and they mount right to the outer fenders. A little massaging for clearance and they'll be good to go.

Here's the finished chassis and drivetrain. It took the requisite amount of test fitting, fiddling, and styrene tube stock to get the stance, tracking, and wheelbase right (and to get all four wheels on the ground at once...):

fifty_pu21.jpg

A few aftermarket doodads were added (slotted disk brakes, calipers, coil, air cleaners), and the kit distributor was drilled to accept plug wires. I filed the top of the distributor cap flat and used the smallest drill bit I have to make the initial holes, then I used a larger bit to get the holes the right size:

fifty_pu22.jpg

Next up is the interior. Thanks for checking out the pics!