Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevy Sport Roadster - 08/24

E St. Kruiser50

Well guy's, this is what happens when I spend two weeks not doing anything creative on models and start having withdrawls :o;). I go nut's cutting plastic.

I've had this kit sitting out like forever staring at it with almost a complete plan, but not quite. Ever been there :blink: ??

I love '59 Chevy's, but the back-end is way too heavy for me, and I think this balances it out.

Anyway, this "Badillac thing", and talking back and forth with Harry P., got the "Juices of life" flowing, and the next thing I know, I'm hackin away at this Impala and '98 Corvette. " MIKEY LIKES IT" ;)

The plan is for the body to be bone stock, except for being shortened 15 scale inches, a corvette body greenhouse and interior center section, and the center of the Corvette chassis being spliced into the center of the Impala chassis. All corvette drive-line. I shortened the Impala so the wheel-bases are the same. Simplifies things - I hope ;).

Anywho, here are some preliminary pics, and I'll add construx pics later. Nothings glued - just mocked up. ;)

2008_0802Photobucket10018.jpg

2008_0802Photobucket10014.jpg

2008_0802Photobucket10015.jpg

2008_0802Photobucket10012.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

:rolleyes: Dave, some guy in Flahdu(i think) is doin somethin called a "57,58,59 Chev along the same lines in 1/1.Its got a 57 front end, a 58 midsection and 59 rear end on a Vette chassis. Looks KINDA ok, but personally it's just too busy for me.I like yours better.(But, then again, I AM still tryin ta get ya to adopt me. I already made room for the Hollywood on top a my TV) But I REALLY DO like yours better! :D

:rolleyes: Dave, some guy in Flahdu(i think) is doin somethin called a "57,58,59 Chev along the same lines in 1/1.Its got a 57 front end, a 58 midsection and 59 rear end on a Vette chassis. Looks KINDA ok, but personally it's just too busy for me.I like yours better.(But, then again, I AM still tryin ta get ya to adopt me. I already made room for the Hollywood on top a my TV) But I REALLY DO like yours better! :D

It's called the "789"

789-chevy-1.jpg

Personally, I don't like it.

Hi everyone :rolleyes:

I agree. The 789 is too busy and doesn't flow well IMHO- not to say mine will be any better. As I said, mine will be mostly stock, except for small mostly un-noticible changes

The stock '59 cowl in front of the windshiel will be removed, and the trailing edge of the corvette hood will be added to the rear of the Impala hood, to match the new cowl and windshield.

Also the rear wheel well openings will be raised up close to the chrome body molding, for a more balanced for and aft look. I like seeing the "Standard 24" I'll be using :P .

For now, I think that's it.

Thanks guy's - Dave :D

Well I finally got to take more pics and get them posted :( . Working on the "Badillac" And the " '50 Lincoln too.

I got the body shortened as you can see, and the hood is mostly done, and has two coats of "Zinzzer Bin" - Stuff is great.

Also got the chassis shortened and fits great. Smooth sailing so far. Need to send away for some wheels next.

Not sure of the color yet. I think something stock, with the windshield post and area painted flat black

2008_0802Photobucket10006.jpg

2008_0802Photobucket10007.jpg

2008_0802Photobucket10008.jpg

2008_0803Photobucket10021-1.jpg

2008_0805Photobucket10025.jpg

2008_0805Photobucket10024.jpg

2008_0805Photobucket10029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dave, This is the coolest idea ever. I didnt think anyone could possibly improve the look of the 59 Impala but youve proven me wrong. Keep up the good work. Cant wait to see it done. :D

Ed

Thanks Ed :unsure:

Froze-up the ol' hard drive about a week and a half ago :blink: , so couldn't respond. Just gotter back yesterday with some more gigs and a tune-up and she's "flyin" now ;)

Well, like I told Ed. I froze up the hard drive :D , so had to get the "Old Girl Fixed". Now she "flys".

Anyway, got the body and hood pretty much done and need to lay on a few light coats of urethane primer, sand, and then lay down a bright red urethane paint job. This is two stage, so I'll be clear-coating.

Gonna do the interior in tan and black. The windshield and cowl area will be flat black like on the "Vette.

Chassis and drive-line will be all Corvette. The hood will be hinged from the front like the 'Vette. At least I hope so :unsure: -LOL

2008_0820Photobucket10037.jpg

:D OOOOOOOO That's purty! Even in primer it looks nice an smooth! The lines flow so nicely! Don't be suprised, Dave, if some 1/1 car customizer sees an copies that bad boy! Looks smoother an less cluttered an that 579, or678, or WHATEVER that other ugly thing is called! Don't stop huggin 'em trees, cuz this ones comin out great too! :unsure:

Hello there friend! Although it would feel wierd ya gone fer weeks if this is what ya got comin back please my friend be my guest thats got to be the wildest that ive seen that still leaves ya intrigued!!Keep on wit the keepin on!!!

peace

ajulia

:) Hey Dave, nice to have you n yer AWB roadster back wit us. Lookin goodly, but.... ;) I wonder ifn ya blended the leading edge of dem BIG L O N G fins into the body just back of a line drawn straight up from the leading edge of the real wheel opening.

I were eyeballin it perty good, and sompin just seems to be a wee bit outa balance. Mebbe it's coz it looks kinda sexy and dat reminds me o some of dem wimmen I've dealt wif :angry: .....

....I better go do sompin else now

:) Hey Dave, nice to have you n yer AWB roadster back wit us. Lookin goodly, but.... ;) I wonder ifn ya blended the leading edge of dem BIG L O N G fins into the body just back of a line drawn straight up from the leading edge of the real wheel opening.

I were eyeballin it perty good, and sompin just seems to be a wee bit outa balance. Mebbe it's coz it looks kinda sexy and dat reminds me o some of dem wimmen I've dealt wif :angry: .....

....I better go do sompin else now

OK OK you guy's :P

I guess I'm going to have to do what I originally planned, and that's to lenghthen the doors to fit the interior length of the Vette door panels. This means I have to go to eBay and buy another '59 Chev kit for the longer door chrome - WAA WAA WAA - LOL :P Not sure about the fin yet. Maybe I'll just leave it and scribe a new door line????? Shorten the fin???We'll see.

Thanks ######'n - Dave :D

Watch out fo dem wimmen - LOL ;);)

Well, it's time to finish these projects and not start anymore 'till I'm done.

Bought me some BEEEEEEU-teee-fulll pattern wood yesterday ;) called Perfect Plank, made from sugar pine, for a totally scratch-built project I have planned down the road.

Am I excited - EEEEEEEHAH!! :P:angry:

This is my insentive to finish most everything in the next few month's except maybe the '50 Lincoln, and that's a biggy. I have a lot of machining to do on that one. That'll be way-fun!!

Anyway, just need to stay focused, then it's time to bump up my game :D:)

No plastic - All fiberglass - just like back in the day ;).

its lookin sweet love the roadster look on this bild

what color you goin with and wheels

Hey Jeff :)

These '59's really look good in bright red, and I have a beautiful red in two stage urethane I'll probably use with a clear-coat. The interior I think will be tan with black trim to compliment the flat black I'll paint the windshield frame and cowl like on the stock 'Vette roadster's. I haven't started looking at wheels yet.

Probably be looking at either the 24 incher's I love to use or maybe like some have suggested, some type of stock Corvette wheel. Either way it'll be on the ground. Love "ground huggers". Is that like "Treehugger's only different? :huh: - LOL

Several of you have suggested that I do something about the " Getting out of the car and poke yourself in the eye on the windshield frame because of the steep angle of the windshield" SYNDROME :):rolleyes: !!

So here is my solution. I lengthened the doors and gave them a bit of the 'Vette curvature below the chrome trim. To me it looks more balanced. For those of you who don't like the short distance between the rear wheel well opening and the door - Tuff ;):blink: For everyone who likes it, thank you ;)

2008_0821Photobucket10037.jpg

Several of you have suggested that I do something about the " Getting out of the car and poke yourself in the eye on the windshield frame because of the steep angle of the windshield" SYNDROME :lol::D !!

So here is my solution. I lengthened the doors and gave them a bit of the 'Vette curvature below the chrome trim. To me it looks more balanced. For those of you who don't like the short distance between the rear wheel well opening and the door - Tuff :lol::P For everyone who likes it, thank you ;)

2008_0821Photobucket10037.jpg

Hey Dave, that do look better, but now.......

about them fins B) It's almost lookin like a natural that a door handle could end/start that fin. Kudos to you for lettin us all critique this design stage of your Chebby. Good thing it aint a 1:1, but I guess that's why God made patternmakers, huh? :DB)