Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage 1994?

It all depends upon your perspective I guess. I'm 65 and have been into cars since I was 4 or 5 years old. To me anything built after about 1960 is a "late model" car. :)

I couple of years ago I bought '62 Falcon and it had an "antique" license plate on it! Of course, when I transferred the title I got a standard plate for it.

I was in a conversation not too long ago with someone who was looking to buy an "old" car. They wanted something from around 1990! :o

I'm going to go sit in my rocker now and listen to my bones crumble.

My first car in 1975 was a 1956 Chevy & it was a year older than me. Most people thought of it as a REALLY old car ! I have the same trouble concerning "old" cars, when I go to a cruize in or show & see a car newer than about 1970 I think that's just a used car. But I remember 1970 was 40 + years ago, so it is old. A car from 1994 is almost 20 years, so I guess that is "old" too.

vin·tage (vibreve.gifnprime.giftibreve.gifj)

n.
1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season.
2. Wine, usually of high quality, identified as to year and vineyard or district of origin.
3. The year or place in which a wine is bottled.
a. The harvesting of a grape crop.
b. The initial stages of winemaking.
5. Informal
a. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics.
b. A year or period of origin: a car of 1942 vintage.
c. Length of existence; age.
adj.
1. Of or relating to a vintage.
2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.
3. Old or outmoded.
a. Of the best: played songs that were vintage Cole Porter.
b. Of the most distinctive: "Fatalism has coexisted with vintage American overconfidence" (Thomas Oliphant).

It's just one of those many words in our language that has multiple definitions.

A vintage car is a car built between the start of 1919 and the end of 1930 known as the 'Vintage era'. There is little debate about the start date of the vintage period—the end of World War I is a nicely defined marker there—but the end date is a matter of a little more debate. The British definition is strict about 1930 being the cut-off, and is widely accepted while some American sources prefer 1925 since it is the pre-classic car period as defined by the Classic Car Club of America. Others see the classic period as overlapping the vintage period, especially since the vintage designation covers all vehicles produced in the period while the official classic definition does not, only including high-end vehicles of the period. Some consider the start of World War II to be the end date of the vintage period

A classic car is an older car; the exact meaning varies around the world. The Classic Car Club of America maintains that a car must be between 20 and 40 years old to be a classic, while cars over 45 years fall into the Antique Class. In the UK 'classic cars' range from Veteran (pre first world war), Vintage (1919–1930), Post-Vintage (1930s). Post second world war cars are not so designated.

. . . and let's not forget the 1949 cut off for Street Rods. :lol:

The automotive Brass Era is the first period of automotive manufacturing, named for the prominent brass fittings used during this time for such things as lights and radiators. It extends from the first commercial automobiles (first known as motocycles) marketed in the 1890s until about World War I. The term "Brass Era automobile" is a retronym for "horseless carriage," the original name for such vehicles, which is still in use today. The Brass Era closely followed the Veteran Era.

Early-Packard-small-340x255.jpg

'vintage' doesn't necessarily mean 'old', simply something of a particular year or time period... with cars, to me 'late model' implies something from the last 10 years or so (current or previous generation or two).

Oh I know, it was just funny to me to see the words vintage and Dodge Neon in the same sentence , thats all .

Oh I know, it was just funny to me to see the words vintage and Dodge Neon in the same sentence , thats all .

I agree, never thought I'd hear those words put together. :lol: On a similar note, a few weeks ago I saw what looked like a late 80's-early nineties, well abused Ford Festiva wearing collector plates....it gave me a good chuckle.

Yep, it is kinda funny. What's not funny is how fast time does go by- 1994 seems like a couple years ago... :wacko:. I guess time goes by fast when you're having fun :) .

That just it, it really does not feel like 1994 was really 18 years, so what it really was , time caught up to me :(

Speeking of words (again) , it's funny how the meanings of words are different for different people. I've always been a little uneasy using the term "Classic" to describe anything newer than what the Classic Car Club says. Just what I was brought up with. Guess my vintage shows. Oh yeah, Harry, That's Speeking about sarcasm Just doesn't seem like a "Classic". The car either. :lol:gregcharger-1.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers

That "vintage" of Metallica, STP, and Nirvana (to name a few) are all starting to get airplay on Classic Rock stations.

Don't remind me...

After buying my 200, I discovered that the now have a vintage hip hop channel......... they were playing something from the late 90's, around that same time my sister heard "No Scrubs" on an adult contemporary station while getting her hair cut..........talk about feeling old, next thing I know my '98 Cherokee will be elegable for antique plates.........

Our local supermarket plays Muzak. The supermarket is next door to a retirement community (they have two exclusive gates for that community) (no, we don't live there). The supermarket basically caters to that community. It's disconcerting to think of something by Alanis Morrisette or Van Halen as music for retired people...

Funnier yet, how about all these crazy names that people give their kids anymore. They're all going to get old someday. You're going to have a Golden Agers trip to A.C. where Niveah and her "partner in crime" Destiny hit it big on the nickel slots...then 85 y/o McKenzie hit the jackpot!