Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT/MPC '69 Hurst Olds

Through "six-degrees-of-separation" I found the Tower Hobbies site . It was there where I found that the MPC-come-ERTL Oldsmobile 4-4-2 / Hurst is schedulled for re-release.

I hope that the Olds is the version with the 4-speed or TH400 option , and the Hurst Dual-Gate shifter
(yes , that shifter will find its way into my planned '68 Hurst-Hemi Dart build).

Can any-one provide a link or some photos of the contents of these kits?

The Hurst version of the kit includes the automatic, the W-30 version includes a four-speed. Pedals and console are different in each kit, and correct for each configuration. No issue of this kit had both transmissions. The stock air filter setups and exhaust systems differ between the two versions also.

• 2 months later...

Just saw this at Hobby Lobby today, and I noticed only the stock gold decals are included, but this is still perhaps MPC's (don't let the faux-retro AMT box art fool you) best kit ever, and the chassis and suspension should find its way under many a 1/25 scale GM A-body.

I think the included rear spoiler is the same as used on the '70 Olds 442 W-30 and Rallye 350, too.

Any one have any pics of what's in the box of the H/O reissue?

Didn't take any pics of the actual kit parts, but besides the new tires, the kit is a clean repop of the old one...minimal flash. Also included in the kit is a paper board sheet of a mini-box of the kit to cut out and assemble, and a Hurst sticker.IMG_3544.jpg

Just saw this at Hobby Lobby today, and I noticed only the stock gold decals are included, but this is still perhaps MPC's (don't let the faux-retro AMT box art fool you) kit ever, and the chassis and suspension should find its way under many a 1/25 scale GM A-body.

True, the '69 Cutlass was one of the last new MPC kits tooled, along w/ the '88 Beretta and Silverado. I remember the '88 kits quite well. AMT did rebox some Johan kits in the late '60s-early 70s, I'm not sure if they reboxed the Johan '69 Cutlass back then.

Edited by Rob Hall

Are the Polyglas tire halves misaligned, Andy? It looks like there's a step where the two halves would mate on the finished tire.

It looks to be just that 1 tire. The other 3 look pretty good, although there is a slight parting line in the middle. Nothing that some light sanding on the tread can't take care of. Other than that, they look pretty good. Especially with the tighter tread pattern.

True, the '69 Cutlass was one of the last new MPC kits tooled, along w/ the '88 Beretta and Silverado. I remember the '88 kits quite well. AMT did rebox some Johan kits in the late '60s-early 70s, I'm not sure if they reboxed the Johan '69 Cutlass back then.

AMT did offer the Jo-Han '69 4-4-2 in AMT packaging. The box art was not in the style of the 1969 annual kits, however. I believe this was the first instance of Jo-Han producing a kit that was sold by both itself and AMT. Previous efforts ('67-'68 Toronado, '68 AMX) were sold only by AMT. AMT and Jo-Han both sold the 1970 4-4-2 kit also. AMT sold it in two different boxes with different stock numbers. AMT did the two-box thing with the 1969 and 1970 AMX kits also. One of the boxes for both the 4-4-2 and AMX were in the same style as other AMT annual kit boxes.

What's the difference between F-, L-, and G- 60s? Width?

I'm not an expert on tire sizing, but I would have to say yes in a nut shell. From what I've read, the old system was based on aspect ratio while the new system is based more on load capacity if that's any help. But anyway, from a conversion chart a G60-15 is a 7.10-15 in the old system and P245/60R15 in the current system.

Does anyone know if this kit is based on the Johan 1970 Oldsmobile kit? I bought one yesterday and another today. I opened one and the similarities between the two kits make it look like the tooling is either the same or close to it.

No, this Hurst Olds kit is the second version of the 1969 Olds 442 W-30 kit that was originally released by MPC/Ertl around 1988. The Hurst Olds kit was first released by AMT/Ertl in 1989. These kits use completely different tooling than the Jo-Han kit.