Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped '29 Ford Pickup on '32 Chassis with Hemi!

This project had been started in the late Summer of last year, worked on periodically then stalled out in February. In the last week and a half I challenged myself to finish it. Not only because I wanted to see it finished, but also because at the end of this week I will be moving and it's unknown what kind of down-time I will have as a result.

I started this because it's very rare, practically never in fact, to see a '29 closed cab pickup mounted to a '32 frame. It has been done 100's of times with '29 roadster pickups but for some reason just gets over looked with a closed cab. I also wanted the truck to look useable so it was decided early on to leave the body in primer. I guess one could say that this would be perfect for a "shop truck".

Chassis: Revell '32 5-Window, front and rear suspension modified to sit considerably lower.

Wheels & Tires: Steel disc wheels / caps / rings from Revell '32 5-Window. Modelhaus T110 & T180 tires.

Engine: Chrysler style Hemi from Revell '32 5-Window. Intake modified to use 3 Rochester 2 bbl carbs, flame arrestor air scoops from 70's AMT '34 3-Window, pieced together over the frame headers, Parts By Parks pre-wired distributor, scratch-built coil and fuel log, leftover ignition wire for fuel hoses and fittings from Detail Master.

Body: Revell '29 Pickup radiator/shell, cab & bed. Cab chopped 3/16", bed shortened, scratch built bed filler panels with custom rolled pan from '29 pickup kit molded in. Revell '32 series headlights, Monogram '40 Pickup taillights.

Interior: Revell '29 Pickup dashboard, gauge panel & stock seat, AMT '41 Woody steering wheel on home made column, front floor panel & shifter from Revell '32 5-Window.

Paint: Duplicolor Red-Oxide primer, Duplicolor Semi-Gloss and Gloss Black, Tamiya Racing White.

IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_8651.jpg

IMG_8653.jpg

IMG_8654.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

IMG_8659.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

IMG_8662.jpg

B)

That is one cool old hot rod pickup Dennis! You've definitely got an eye for hot rod builds! I'm always impressed by them. You might want to paint those tail light lenses. ;)

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

That is one cool old hot rod pickup Dennis! You've definitely got an eye for hot rod builds! I'm always impressed by them. You might want to paint those tail light lenses. ;)

Thanks and yes, I do need to paint the taillights. I would have but when I went to dip my brush in the red I use for this it didn't seem to want to submerge into the paint. I'll grab a fresh bottle one of these days and touch them up.